I like my Panasonic but I regret selling my Canon..

Kangaroo

So It's been a few weeks since I've got my panasonic g6, I really love all the features of this camera like 50p, touchscreen, peaking, evf, tons od detail, almost no moire and aliasing and I think it's a huge upgrade over my past canon cameras ( I had a t2i and a 5d2 over the past years) but I still regret my purchase.

Maybe it's just because I'm new to this camera but I cannot achive the same feel that I had with my t2i, mostly I can't get the righ colors, everything looks more "digital" and also pdc it's a pain with my cheap f/1.8 - f/2.8 glasses...

I also have an old 5d (the first model) for shooting stills and I'm really tempted to sell it and buy something like a 7d just to have the ability to shoot canon like video, It's a really strange feeling because I started hating canon recently and that's why I jumped on the g6 :/

am I the only one?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

No.

So It's been a few weeks since I've got my panasonic g6, I really love all the features of this camera like 50p, touchscreen, peaking, evf, tons od detail, almost no moire and aliasing and I think it's a huge upgrade over my past canon cameras ( I had a t2i and a 5d2 over the past years) but I still regret my purchase.

Maybe it's just because I'm new to this camera but I cannot achive the same feel that I had with my t2i, mostly I can't get the righ colors, everything looks more "digital" and also pdc it's a pain with my cheap f/1.8 - f/2.8 glasses...

I also have an old 5d (the first model) for shooting stills and I'm really tempted to sell it and buy something like a 7d just to have the ability to shoot canon like video, It's a really strange feeling because I started hating canon recently and that's why I jumped on the g6 :/

am I the only one?

No.

am I the only one?

I haven't always enjoyed the colours I've seen from the Panasonics either.

There's a recent thread on EOSHD about applying a LUT to GH4 footage - which did wonders to the colours! I don't own any Panasonic camera myself, but I really enjoyed the GH4 colours after that LUT was applied - so I recommend you to search for that thread and find out if it works on G6 as well.

After I bought my G6 (thanks to Andrew's article on this blog) I regret all the Canon I bought :)
I sold that 70D and all the Canon digital lenses, so I had some money to buy the GH4. 

I'm totally in love with Panasonic G6, I use it as second unit with GH4 and they can match really well. 
Since I don't use 4k that much, the only drawback is the lack of live-HDMI: with an external monitor you can check only the shoots you made, but you can't monitor what you're doing.

Anyway the EVF is GREAT (try to do that with a Canon!), the dynamic range and the final quality are stellar and in my opinion they smoke easily any non-hacked Canon DSLR.

With G6 is also very simple to achieve a natural cinematic look in camera: just use "Natural" profile with contrast -3, saturation all the way down and sharpness -2/-3.

With Canon FD lenses and Zeiss M42 lenses you can shoot really filmic things. 

I would never return to Canon DSLR, at least until they remain in 2009 ;)

I'm with you. I've used my trusty GH2 for years, and while it was better in many ways than the Canon models at the time, I've must admit that I prefer Canon color science. The lower res always bothered me though. Can't have it all I suppose.

I haven't always enjoyed the colours I've seen from the Panasonics either.

There's a recent thread on EOSHD about applying a LUT to GH4 footage - which did wonders to the colours! I don't own any Panasonic camera myself, but I really enjoyed the GH4 colours after that LUT was applied - so I recommend you to search for that thread and find out if it works on G6 as well.

Seems like I cannot apply that to my g6 footage due to the inability of my panasonic to play with advanced picture profiles, thank you anyway!

After I bought my G6 (thanks to Andrew's article on this blog) I regret all the Canon I bought :)
I sold that 70D and all the Canon digital lenses, so I had some money to buy the GH4. 

I'm totally in love with Panasonic G6, I use it as second unit with GH4 and they can match really well. 
Since I don't use 4k that much, the only drawback is the lack of live-HDMI: with an external monitor you can check only the shoots you made, but you can't monitor what you're doing.

Anyway the EVF is GREAT (try to do that with a Canon!), the dynamic range and the final quality are stellar and in my opinion they smoke easily any non-hacked Canon DSLR.

With G6 is also very simple to achieve a natural cinematic look in camera: just use "Natural" profile with contrast -3, saturation all the way down and sharpness -2/-3.

With Canon FD lenses and Zeiss M42 lenses you can shoot really filmic things. 

I would never return to Canon DSLR, at least until they remain in 2009 ;)

Totally agree, I love the g6 and I'm not gonna sell it, I can't go back completely, I really can't stand the aliasing of canon cameras for example.

I'll try your setting, right now I'm testing standard with -2-2-2-2

If colour is your only problem then you're in luck my friend. http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/8438-pleasing-neutralising-panasonic-luts/ It was created by colour matching GH4/GX7 footage to Canon footage of the same scene and colour charts. 

I'll try that, thank you!

Seems like I cannot apply that to my g6 footage due to the inability of my panasonic to play with advanced picture profiles, thank you anyway!

Totally agree, I love the g6 and I'm not gonna sell it, I can't go back completely, I really can't stand the aliasing of canon cameras for example.

I'll try your setting, right now I'm testing standard with -2-2-2-2

I'll try that, thank you!

Ciao Kangaroo, "Standard" is way too videoish, try "Natural" with contrast -3, saturation all the way down, sharpness -2/-3 (but sometimes 0 or all the way down are perfect) and, of course, shutter at 1/50 with 24 or 25p. 
I'm sure you'll love this little camera :)

am I the only one?

i did the exact same thing when the g6 came out. same experience, same reaction...

i told myself that i was just brainwashed by canon raw color because im so used to it....

thats nonsense. this is the color i want https://vimeo.com/groups/magiclanterncanon5diii who can beat that?

if you click thru the thumbnails of the videos in that group without even watching them you can STILL tell that the color is amazing~!

i expect canon to eventually release a 5d4c type of "video centric" slr, and it wont be cheap ($4-$5k?), and ill buy it. ill just pull out my credit card. ive stopped fighting it ?

Comparing MLraw to compressed video colors is ridiculous because it has nothing to do with what canon gives you but what raw gives you.

it wasnt meant to be a direct comparison, but i acknowledge that i was unclear

to put a fine point on it, im just talking about their color science, which clearly bleeds over into, say, the 1dc, as andrew has written about at length. and i expect that mojo to trickle down to lower cost bodies in the future

additionally, that color science is very much a part of "what raw gives you" unless i am profoundly mistaken

I'm with you. I've used my trusty GH2 for years, and while it was better in many ways than the Canon models at the time, I've must admit that I prefer Canon color science. The lower res always bothered me though. Can't have it all I suppose.

The lower resolution slightly soft image is one of the cornerstones of the Canon look. It's very flattering for close-ups