Improve your pocket 4k videos!

Lift-Up

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

I've been playing today.

Only problem is that the Flat Profile only flickers on when I do adjustments and that ends up in the footage. But I can still take advantage of PAL and the nice 200Mbps.
Its funny that the camera on my newly bought LG is considered bad.. lol!

4K Frame Graded,

krutgraded.md.jpg

LGs camera and Cinema 4K (click for full res),

buske.md.jpg

Before and after grade,

ungraded_1.1.2.md.jpg

graded_1.1.1.md.jpg

I've been playing today.

Only problem is that the Flat Profile only flickers on when I do adjustments and that ends up in the footage. But I can still take advantage of PAL and the nice 200Mbps.
Its funny that the camera on my newly bought LG is considered bad.. lol!

4K Frame Graded,

krutgraded.md.jpg

LGs camera and Cinema 4K (click for full res),

buske.md.jpg

Before and after grade,

ungraded_1.1.2.md.jpg

graded_1.1.1.md.jpg

Hi Matthias,

Did you try to lock the exposure and use manual focus?

Thanks,

Gabor

Hi Guys,

Yes, you are right. I am the developer of the Cinema 4K app.

I have started this development, because of the limitations of the built in camera app. I have also tried other apps for 4K video recording, but at the end I decided to write my own.

I have tested it on an LG G4 and Samsung Galaxy S6. On LG G4 the AE lock is not working and  - because of the weaker CPU - the 4K recording sometimes drops frames when other apps are running in the background. On the Galaxy S6 there is no SD card option, however I could attach an external storage over OTA and configure the app to record there. Works good.

Cinema 4K relies on the Camera2 API. This is quite new in Android and unfortunately not too many manufacturers implemented it on their phones. It also requires Lollipop (5.0) Android version. The Google Play Store automatically selects the available devices for download the app based on the OS. This might be the reason Note 3 is not listed. I will try to set this manually if possible.

Thanks for starting this forum and your valuable feedback. I am planning to add some new features in the future, but at the same same time I would like to keep the app as simple as possible and not to overload. The main idea is to get the maximum quality from the camera and later on you can edit it on PC/Mac environment.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Gabor

Could you please provide a comprehensive list of mobile phones that support the 4K Cinema App. Also, could you try and increase the list if possible. It would be great to pick up a few mobile devices and maybe actually use them for a little project.

Thanks in advance. 

anybody know if cinema 4k would work on a note 5? my note 3 failed this test miserably lol

(free camera2 api checker)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.vipek.camera2_compatibility_test

anybody know if cinema 4k would work on a note 5? my note 3 failed this test miserably lol

(free camera2 api checker)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.vipek.camera2_compatibility_test

Hi,

Matthew has written a review about the app on the Play Store, and he has a Note 5:

"OMG! I've been waiting for an app like this for eons. Flat profiles, 200mps, 24fps, full manual focus (w/assist!), AE/AW locks. Realtime stats. Effective, simple UI. This is very close to my pro NX1. Works brilliantly on my Note 5. I now can use my phone as a reliable B-Cam. Suggestions: Grid lines, (like thirds) manual focus/zoom during record & focus/exposure peaking. Very, very impressed. Was using Cinema-FV5 but it's extremely buggy. Now I don't have to! Thank you! I got the paid version."

I noticed that the App worka best onSamsung Galaxy S6 (and Edge) and probably the Note 5. I saw quite a few online videos including on the One Plus Two. It works on a lot of phones, has hiccups on the LGs, but on the Samsung's it really seems to be nailing it.

I also noticed that there are Intensity Levels in Flat Profile and various settings too. I am actually Very Curious to know how much the footage can be pushed and whether at High Flat Profiles it competes with the SLog or VLog even marginally.

The more I learn about this, the more I am fascinated. 

Screenshot_2015-09-08-16-48-24.png

Installed the app on my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (which has the same 4k camera as the none-compact). But the app just crashes whenever I try to start it

It doesn't work on all (actually most) phones. 

I am guessing that Samsung S6 and Note 5 seem to be the best phone for this App. Other have all sorts of strange glitches with it.

I also noticed that there are Intensity Levels in Flat Profile and various settings too. I am actually Very Curious to know how much the footage can be pushed and whether at High Flat Profiles it competes with the SLog or VLog even marginally.

The more I learn about this, the more I am fascinated. 

Here you can see the s6 using the flat profile against the stock note 3 camera and the sony ax100 camcorder

When you expose for the highlights you can recover a lot of shadow info

Its not actually a flat profile.. is more like a natural profile, with a decent dynamic range. You can get good shots if you expose correctly

This is good stuff. I've been swinging both Windows Phone and Android for a few years and the Lumias have always had manual controls and such built in. It's great that the Android is catching up and I can let other things than the camera be the deciding factor of witch to bring when I go places. 

Do you know of anything that gives Lumias higher bitrate video?  I think that is all we are missing.  New Lumia flagship is allegedly going to have Snapdragon 810 running it.  I assume it should be capable of higher bitrate 4k video.  I guess with Windows 10 the developer should be able to port the app fairly painlessly.

Here you can see the s6 using the flat profile against the stock note 3 camera and the sony ax100 camcorder

When you expose for the highlights you can recover a lot of shadow info

Its not actually a flat profile.. is more like a natural profile, with a decent dynamic range. You can get good shots if you expose correctly

You did not understand why I said different Flat Profiles. They are Actually  Quite Flat (compared to the stock camera settings), and I have posted a Screen Shot of the App from the App Store where various Levels of Flat Profile exist. 

Btw most videos posted online have been graded so you may not be able yo notice the Flat profiles. Also, people who Do Not have the Samsung S6 and the Note 5 may not be able to shoot flat profiles at all.