Jump to content
liamlumiere

Cameras With 4:3 Anamorphic Mode?

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have GH4, but got 7D recently for MLRaw, it's a lot nicer than the GH4 for 2x anamorphic in my opinion. I still have both. Just make sure you get a good SSD drive and some 128GB CF cards if you get a 7D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tweak said:

I have GH4, but got 7D recently for MLRaw, it's a lot nicer than the GH4 for 2x anamorphic in my opinion. I still have both. Just make sure you get a good SSD drive and some 128GB CF cards if you get a 7D.

Is the 7D with MLRaw 4:3 or 6:5?  Also, do you have any idea what the exact as-used sensor dimensions might be?  Just curious since I'm developing a bunch of new lenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Brian Caldwell said:

Is the 7D with MLRaw 4:3 or 6:5?  Also, do you have any idea what the exact as-used sensor dimensions might be?  Just curious since I'm developing a bunch of new lenses.

Hi Brian,

I've been shooting in 4:3 and something close to 5:4. You can basically select any aspect you want which is cool. In 4:3 and 5:4 it uses the full height of the sensor just cropped a bit on the sides. In 16:9 Raw it uses the full width of the sensor which is a 1.62x crop.

Use this table to find any answers you need - http://rbrune.github.io/mlraw/

p.s.
Even though the actual resolution on 7Draw is so much less than GH4 4K 4:3 I much prefer the look of the image. I know it's cliche' but GH4 looks very digital even with whatever post work you can do, 7D looks great with minimal work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2016 at 4:14 AM, tweak said:

Hi Brian,

I've been shooting in 4:3 and something close to 5:4. You can basically select any aspect you want which is cool. In 4:3 and 5:4 it uses the full height of the sensor just cropped a bit on the sides. In 16:9 Raw it uses the full width of the sensor which is a 1.62x crop.

Use this table to find any answers you need - http://rbrune.github.io/mlraw/

p.s.
Even though the actual resolution on 7Draw is so much less than GH4 4K 4:3 I much prefer the look of the image. I know it's cliche' but GH4 looks very digital even with whatever post work you can do, 7D looks great with minimal work. 

Can you post any samples of your 7D anamorphic footage? I'd love to see how it compares, since its such a subjective medium. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Hallo Tweak,

I really like the movement of the fore- and background planes against one another. Is that an effect of the anamorphic lens? Also, does it only do the stretching towards the sides or towards top and bottom as well? I actually start to like the colors I am getting out of Panasonic G6. After a while of grading in Davinci a lot of DPX files are starting to build up a nice library of shortcuts for grading.

On the GH4 would it be a 4:3 crop out of the 16:9 4K crop of the 4:3 sensor? If the crop for 4K is around 2.3, how much is it for the 4:3 mode?

 

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

 I actually start to like the colors I am getting out of Panasonic G6. After a while of grading in Davinci a lot of DPX files are starting to build up a nice library of shortcuts for grading.

What settings are you using on the G6?

I dont like my colours at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

 

Hallo Tweak,

I really like the movement of the fore- and background planes against one another. Is that an effect of the anamorphic lens? Also, does it only do the stretching towards the sides or towards top and bottom as well? I actually start to like the colors I am getting out of Panasonic G6. After a while of grading in Davinci a lot of DPX files are starting to build up a nice library of shortcuts for grading.

On the GH4 would it be a 4:3 crop out of the 16:9 4K crop of the 4:3 sensor? If the crop for 4K is around 2.3, how much is it for the 4:3 mode?

 

cheers

Yes that is one of the effects of Anamorphic, how it renders the OOF areas is a little different to a regular lens and also the distortion adds to this effect.

It stretches the whole image horizontally (in this case 2x), it's supposed to be the same across the image, but due to the nature of an adapter lens I think sometimes it's not 100% uniform across the image (can be a little more at the sides if you shoot super wide like this maybe).

This grading was pretty bad, I didn't really know what I was doing (still don't really).

The 4:3 mode on GH4 actually gives you more sensor height than in the 16:9 mode, it's pretty cool, 1:1 mode gives you even more height again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Grimor said:

What settings are you using on the G6?

I dont like my colours at all.

Out of cam it´s not giving me satisfying color just yet. I love this little cam though.

I shoot Natural with everything on -2 but color on 0. I suggest manual White Balance rather than adjusting

numbers of Kelvin manually.

I recently also tried to adjust my White Balance within the G6 to values A3 and G3 as John has suggested

in the Panasonic GX80 thread on this forum.

 

The thing is, in my opinion a lot of beautiful color is "hidden" in that codec.

You can achieve that color in Davinci and other software with usage of saturation of R G B channels separately or in combination, luma and chroma curve in combination or separately. These are very strong tools.

Any other tools are just different visualizaitions of the same parameters.

 

cheers

4 hours ago, tweak said:

Yes that is one of the effects of Anamorphic, how it renders the OOF areas is a little different to a regular lens and also the distortion adds to this effect.

It stretches the whole image horizontally (in this case 2x), it's supposed to be the same across the image, but due to the nature of an adapter lens I think sometimes it's not 100% uniform across the image (can be a little more at the sides if you shoot super wide like this maybe).

This grading was pretty bad, I didn't really know what I was doing (still don't really).

The 4:3 mode on GH4 actually gives you more sensor height than in the 16:9 mode, it's pretty cool, 1:1 mode gives you even more height again.

Hey Tweak!

yes, it felt really like from the place of fanatasy/cinema. So 4:3 mode is not further cropping the 4K image to the sides?- Lemme google quickly for pixel resolution- 3328x2496 pixels (Panasonic website, Firmware 2.2)

Is that cropped or pixel binned (or whatever:) from the width of 4086 pixels?

If cropped, it would be a 1.23 crop factor in the x- axis of the sensors 4K resolution, so making the 4K 2.25 crop a 2.76 crop (1.23*2.25)?

 

So a 28mm taking lens would have the same FOV like a 39mm lens on a full frame photo cam (f.i. 5D or D800) in the X- axis:

28mm * 2.76 (4:3 sensor crop- 3328 of 4096 pixels of x-axis) : 2 (2x stretch of the anamorphic) = 28mm * 2.76 : 2 = 38.6mm

OR

28mm * 2.25 :2 = 31.5mm

?

 

cheers

 

By the way, I like the grading. Basic showing of the raw power of beautiful RAW!:)

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 4, 2016 at 4:14 AM, tweak said:

Hi Brian,

I've been shooting in 4:3 and something close to 5:4. You can basically select any aspect you want which is cool. In 4:3 and 5:4 it uses the full height of the sensor just cropped a bit on the sides. In 16:9 Raw it uses the full width of the sensor which is a 1.62x crop.

Use this table to find any answers you need - http://rbrune.github.io/mlraw/

p.s.
Even though the actual resolution on 7Draw is so much less than GH4 4K 4:3 I much prefer the look of the image. I know it's cliche' but GH4 looks very digital even with whatever post work you can do, 7D looks great with minimal work. 

Does the ML anamorphic desqueeze options cause your screen to flicker/tear at all? We just started shooting anamorphic with our 5D3 and I don't think the on screen preview is usable because of the screen tearing we encounter. Trying to decide whether we should get a monitor to desqueeze or use a different camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Evan Burns said:

Does the ML anamorphic desqueeze options cause your screen to flicker/tear at all? We just started shooting anamorphic with our 5D3 and I don't think the on screen preview is usable because of the screen tearing we encounter. Trying to decide whether we should get a monitor to desqueeze or use a different camera.

Honestly I don't really use it, just occasionally but usually it's fine. What other camera would you get? Not really many options. I'd get a monitor with de-squeeze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tweak said:

Honestly I don't really use it, just occasionally but usually it's fine. What other camera would you get? Not really many options. I'd get a monitor with de-squeeze.

We'd probably aim for renting an URSA Mini 4.6k or RED. Cost is obviously an issue, but I'm going to tinker with ML a bit more to see if I can get the flickering to stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 3, 2016 at 9:46 AM, silvertonesx24 said:

Kinefinity (both KineMini and KineMax) shoot 4:3.

YEAP.

KineMAX shoots a few different 4:3 modes as well. it can do 4:3 anamorphic at 4.3k and 4k at 14 stops DR and kineRAW (.krw), or "Golden" 4:3 anamorphic at 2.2k and 2k at 16 stops DR in either krw, CinemaDNG or Cineform. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2016 at 5:56 PM, tweak said:

I have GH4, but got 7D recently for MLRaw, it's a lot nicer than the GH4 for 2x anamorphic in my opinion. I still have both. Just make sure you get a good SSD drive and some 128GB CF cards if you get a 7D.

Are you using ML on a first generation 7D or a 7D MarkII?

My 7D has been sitting on my shelf like an unloved toy I've grown out of. Please tell me ML has cracked the 7D and I can get anamorphic raw out of it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rook said:

Are you using ML on a first generation 7D or a 7D MarkII?

My 7D has been sitting on my shelf like an unloved toy I've grown out of. Please tell me ML has cracked the 7D and I can get anamorphic raw out of it!

7D. 7D mkii ML doesn't exist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2015 at 10:31 AM, Julian said:

Get a 50D instead of a 550D. The 550D is seriously bottlenecked by the SD card, the 50D can handle higher resolutions.
The 50D doesn't record audio though, so you have to do that externally.

7D is also a good option, but not as cheap as the 50D. 5D Mark II is even better, and pretty great combined with a VAF anti moire filter. Gets you close to 5D3 performance/resolutions.

My Canon EOS 50D is for sale by the way ;)

Here you can see al the Canon cameras and their ML raw capabilities (it doesn't list 4:3 modes though):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdFFIcFp1d0R5TzVPTVJXOEVyUndteGc#gid=5

I shot this in 1280x960 24 fps, but I think you can get a bit higher. I don't know what are the 4:3 options in the recent ML builds.

 

Wow Julian! Best Kowa B&H footage I think I have even seen. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, samuel.cabral said:

The chinese m4/3 Yi M1 shoots a 4:3 2k image but at 30p.

Screenshot_2017-02-13-02-32-57-383_com.android.chrome.png

2048*1536 is actually closer to 3K. Would stretch nicely to 4k anamorphic. The bitrate and IQ is not great however from the very few reviews I've seen. I'd like to be wrong on that though :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Justin Bacle said:

2048*1536 is actually closer to 3K. Would stretch nicely to 4k anamorphic. The bitrate and IQ is not great however from the very few reviews I've seen. I'd like to be wrong on that though :)

Yeah... For sure. 

But you don't have a m4/3 camera with a Sony sensor,  4:3 aspect ratio,  good 2k resolution, good colors for that price ($450 with kit lens). I think it could be a fun camera B (or even C!). And i still think a hack would be possible... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...