OM SYSTEMS to announce OM-1II, 9-18mm II, and 150-600mm f/5.0-6.3 on Jan 30th

kye

Exactly? : )

I don't see anything wrong on a transition period, just the fact the value of a brand like Olympus to vanish into thin air when this means an investment of decades if not a whole century...

Brand registered in 1921.

First camera with that exact name in 1936.

It hurts only to hear that.

And I'm speaking not only as camera lover but manager :- )

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
19 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

the value of a brand like Olympus to vanish into thin air when this means an investment of decades if not a whole century

To be fair, even Olympus themselves weren't interested in keeping Olympus cameras going anymore.

Better to have been bought and transitioned this way by a company that was - at least in the current term - interested in producing them rather than it being bought strictly for the name and it then be used just as a brand stamp on a succession of low end OEM stuff.

There are numerous examples of this in different industries but one example from photography is Rollei where that brand has gone from meaning this :

1447709740_ScreenShot2024-01-24at14_28_12.png.c419888d0a10372dc29d2c77ede9af14.png

To meaning this :

1882578127_ScreenShot2024-01-24at14_28_00.png.35d149e855a5f87c67579c85fd2803e8.png

With Olympus, we will now at least be spared that indignity and so it can be remembered for the cameras up to this point rather than being subsequently associated with a raft of shitty products.

• Super Members
54 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

And I'm speaking not only as camera lover but manager :- )

As a manager, its probably worth assessing how safe any brand would ultimately be in the hands of a corporation with this behaviour in its recent past anyway.

20 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

To meaning this :

1882578127_ScreenShot2024-01-24at14_28_00.png.35d149e855a5f87c67579c85fd2803e8.png

I think you need to report yourself to our great dictator leader.

But otherwise, really? Rolleiflex were such an iconic brand for their era. 

Well company really, - 'branding' as such I think is later 20th C concept I think though of course by having a recognisable logo etc, these were of course brands, even if not referred to as such.

Anyway, you need to report yourself for the above breach of forum etiquette. Tsk 😏

Indeed and shame on the assholes running their chairs there in the native company! I have nothing against to those who have bought it : ) I mean, forget the case of the ressurection of Rolleiflex... : D To not cry here!

The killers are those who let it happen, true criminals... Unfortunately people have no memory and no clue how to run a business other than cleaning their arses :- )

At times, along an agreement we don't necessarily have the best we want but what is possible to deal full of trade-offs.

It's a pity to see that name there. It hurts.

People should be responsible for their own actions, not to see such brand value to be thrown into the gutter. A bummer, the brand equity too.

Nice posts BTW.

• Super Members
54 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

But otherwise, really? Rolleiflex were such an iconic brand for their era. 

They have a whole website of it here :

https://www.rollei.com/

Its all just the usual array of rebadged OEM accessories and tripods and camera coolers as well as adapters and lenses from Viltrox and .....

Whoah....

Hang on....

What the actual fuck is this ?!??!

288738255_ScreenShot2024-01-24at15_53_50.thumb.png.434e1d8c7ea86aaf824a27210e1fd90d.png

When did Nikon to MFT adapters with autofocus become a thing ?

Has anyone got one of these ?

Nope, but you can adapt just about anything to Nikon Z map including adding AF to manual Leica lenses!

Easily there most versatile lens platform out there.

Can't adapt Canon RF or L Mount, but most other stuff...so err, Sony E, yup, but only found out about Leica myself fairly recently.

• Super Members

Don't forget that a few weeks ago even Fuji X was added to the list of lenses that can be AF adapted to Z mount too.

The interesting thing about this F to MFT for me is that Viltrox obviously have the driving of the F mount lenses worked out (they also do a version of this one to let you put F on E mount) and they also have L mount cameras covered as they do EF to L mount AF adapter.

So, as they have both ends of the puzzle, then it strikes me that they should be able to make an F to L mount version of this.

Which would be an instant buy from me.

Veering ever so slightly off topic but…and I don’t think it is possible…but I wish it was possible, to adapt E Mount lenses to L Mount bodies.

I have wrestled for far too long with body based systems which did not support the focal lengths I really needed which are all available primarily in E Mount plus a few in Canon RF.

Actually that statement is not entirely fair or true, rather within the last say 3-4 years, the lenses with the focal lengths ideal to me have come into existence but I have not been able to use them being an L Mount user since 2021.

Within M4/3, they kind of have (the lenses) but the size & weight you end up with vs the outright capability, especially in low light has meant (to me), I’d rather use Fuji APSC which for me just makes more sense.

But then FF even more so…so here I am, partially moved over to Nikon Z, less for the cameras and more for the E Mount lenses which asks the question why not just go Sony then…and that is a good one, especially now that shutter angle has come to the FX30 and FX3…and for my needs, the A7Rv exists…

Money. Cost to change is the stumbling block.

We are at the point now where quite a few bodies have all the spec I need and all the focal lengths I could ever want also (except my ideal 50-150mm f2.8) and within the same system or at least cross compatible, but making changes are expensive and in certain cases (Canon), cost prohibitive.

I’m rambling, I’ll shut up now. 

28 minutes ago, mercer said:

Shutter angle came to the FX30?

Hate to quote myself, but just looked it up... really cool that Sony is updating this! I love that feature on Panasonic cameras and my FP. The FX30 has been a camera I've been wanting to try for a while now, this adds to the reasons. Shame it won't be available until September. 

A bit weird to be announcing a firmware upgrade that is coming in 9 months, but there you go.

Maybe to entice some users who might at any point recently or for what will be another 8 or so months, from wavering...

It's also a sign of no new FX3 or FX30 replacement in 2024 I guess?

The fact they didn't have it previously (and still do not for a while obviously), was never quite a dealbreaker for me, but had they had it from launch, it might just have tipped me in that direction with an FX3 as my principle video unit, an FX30 as a secondary stills and video unit and something else, probably an A7Rv as my principal stills.

But they didn't and I didn't, so...

On 1/23/2024 at 10:37 AM, BTM_Pix said:

The final deal went through in January 2021 so it could be something to do with a 3 year grace period to still use the Olympus name on products or some such.

They'll still be getting called Olympus by everyone over the age of 40 though as no one has got the time for another round of marathon/snickers.

Everyone over their 40s will be using Olympus but not in the ways that first they thought.

But when using a Olympus colonoscope probably one will think very hard about wide aperture. 😆

The Olympus camera sounds like another solid 4K M43 camera but I think it's high time for an 8K M43 camera to come out. The Sharp 8K camera was really cool when I played with it at NAB some years ago and rumors say the Bosma 8K G1 is the same camera but there's no RAW output and it's a little pricier than anticipated. As it stands, I haven't seen anything much better than the Blackmagic Pocket 4K  in terms of a M43 camera and the Panasonic GH6 does have some nice feature bonuses. While I'm sure the Olympus is a nice step forward for M43 photography, the video features still feel like the "same-old, same-old".

Internal variable graduated ND.

That’s fantastic for minimalist travel/landscape photographers.

This is an absolute gem of a camera and I wish I had a place for it in my life, but along with anything that begins with the word Hassleblad, at this point in time, it cannot and may not ever be.

Can we say the OM-1 ii is the first OM System camera?

All the other releases seemed very much Olympus developed products. Really, they put a new processor, improved the AF to extend to humans, and added photo ND features. All of those look good, but maybe this camera should have been the OM-1. I'm still not 100% convinced, more like 50%.

It's a strange thing because I feel like all the manufacturers are giving us great options for the same category of camera (big, fully-featured) rather than going for smaller cameras with the standard features of the past 2-3 years.

As far as I've found out to date, video related improvements are limited to support for vertical-format video and improved AF performance (inherited from the photo side, I assume). It also now directly supports being used as a USB webcam.

I hope they might port the Mk 2 feature of allowing the 'menu' button to be re-assigned the 'trashcan' button in a firmware update for the original OM-1 (so that you can access and operate the menu system entirely with your right hand).

This is a live intro and Q & A session I watched from yesterday, presented by David Smith from OMDS UK (who I've met a few times at open days/exhibitions and seems a very knowledgeable guy), which covered the basic changes and answered some questions (the video-related section starts around 46:23):