Canon 5D Mark IV "will be 1080p" with Canon LOG

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Jimmy, just fucking buy it.

If you don't I will!!!

​hahaha, I opted for the A7s as I was filming Auroras.... Someone bought the 1DC

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?332554-Canon-1D-C-for-sale

At the time I was looking, the exchange rate pushed it under £2600.... Was SOOO tempted, but A7s ticks more of my boxes... No regrets.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Make it perfect 1080p resolution (like the 2999$ c100) with C-log and DPAF + awesome stills and low light performance and I'll buy it. I don't require 4K, It's a means to get sharp 1080p for me, so I have absolutely no problem with great 1080p res (f35, f3, fs100/700, a7s, c100/300/pocket camera), that's lovely sharpness for me (and most of us).

But make a 5d mk iv with the same 720p-ish mk iii resolution, would mean losing the ''5D'' video name forever, along with a huge chunk of sales. 

It's clear, either give us 4K or perfectly sharp 1080p at minimum to gain attraction a hybrid FF DSLR stills/motion. 

To address something from the article

And if enthusiasts aren’t important to Canon, why do they pack in advanced stills option after option on several high profile advanced consumer DSLRs like the 70D, 7D Mark II and 5D Mark III?

They pack in advanced stills options on these cameras because they are stills cameras. How often does that need to be repeated?

What really does not make sense in my book is Nikon and their lack of interest towards video pro's. They come out with these un usable products like J5. Who cares about the 1 lens camera line in the first place. YES  I do think that the only reasonable lens is the 32mm 1.2 ..

so, checked out the XC10 in depth at NAB, i went there having preordered it with high hopes for a lightweight 4k camera that was cheap and easy enough to just whip out on scouts and do some tests.

we were all let down pretty big on this one.

first of al it just feels cheap, granted a lot of people playing with them at nab but while i was holding it the viewfinder just popped off so easily it literally fell off the camera. as well it sucked, it might be the worst view finder i have ever looked through, i had to ask, why does everything look purple on this view finder. i went through all the settings, WB, ISO and matched them to the canon c300 next to me and still everything look purple.

The camera had one built in ND, that you have to literally go through about 4 steps in the menu to get to, its electronic, not glass as far as i can tell, but NOONE on the floor could tell me how many stops it was, seemed to be at least 3 to me, one person told me it was 1 and i just laughed at that.

The lens is parafocal, which is good news, and the front didnt rotate which was great news, so i was still intrigued. then when i checked to see when the aperture started to ramp, um the answer was, immediately! i mean, right away, its only 2.8 from 27mm to about 30mm, but then the horrible thing is that from that point it doesnt change incrementally, it moves 10ths as you zoom, so for example it starts going: 2.9, 3.1, 4.2, 4.5, 4.7, 5, etc….

its absolutely horrible, so much so i put the camera down after that and said thank you and walked away. the only way to shoot with this camera is to probably put it in some automatic iso setting, or set it to a 5.6 permanently. still , what i thought it would be good for is a ready to go, whip it out and shoot, possibly doc camera, nope…you have to dig into the menu for every setting with this tiny joystick thing, it was a pain the ass. i wouldnt even recommend it to a beginner because its so confusing, hopefully no one tries to learn on that camera.

i cancelled my preorder 10 minutes ago...

my favorite cameras of the show, the arri mini and the black magic micro! the smallhd monitor was also sweet, the clearest eyepiece i have ever looked through. put that on the micro(that does 60fps now) and i have a nice b-cam that shoots 10bit pro res. as well you can choose global shutter up to 30fps.

oh as well, the new ursa view finder is also horrible, it looked really green, but i was told it was a demo model, but i went around to each one and they all had different shade of green tint but all looking at the exact same thing with the same settings. i kept asking why doesnt this match the monitor on the camera and i kept getting the same answer, oh, this is not the production model, hopefully we fix that. i would personally skip the BM view finder and stick  a small hd on it, if i was at all interested in an Ursa. You CAN have external power on the small HD too, you just need the canon battery to wired power adapter, simple.

hope this helps!

Canon seems to be protecting certain segments of their products from others. Microsoft did this to some extent by only selling the village idiot version of Office to Mac users. For years critics complained that MS was walking away from profits by protecting the old structure and not porting apps to iOS/OSX. As Balmer departed it seems they began to accept reality and restructured. 

There were tons of critics of the iPad claiming that Apple were risking canniballizing their desktops and laptops with such products. To some extent it is true that overall desktop sales have taken a hit, but it allowed Apple to own the tablet market, and because of their focus on having products work as a family and not actually compete, they have increased desktop sales where PC desktops have slipped. 

Canon seem to be on the back foot for past several years. They could have dominated the market by letting the 5dmkiii do what we know it is capable of. The 5dmkiv should be talk of the DSL town while focusing on the C100/C300 ergonomics/tech for more professionally nuanced uses. But they seem to be afraid that if the 5d is in any way too good that their other products will burst into flames. If you can build a 5d that steals your higher end product business then you should do so. Be the best. And then redesign the higher end products to do what the DSL form factor cannot. If not someone else will do it for you....Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, etc. It is frustrating to feel that Canon is listening to the market and paying attention to the advances made by their competition. So much unrealized potential.  

I love my 5dmkiii for stills. I bought it when it first came out and am still happy with it after 100K shots. But for video, it is more work than I care to go through. Canon could easily provided firmware updates to best ML. By not doing so they smugly project that they are happy with their current product tiers, self imposed limitations and all, as they return to their game rooms to play Pong and dance to The The in their skinny piano ties.  It makes me wonder if they have yet started thinking about fixing the Y2K bug in their main frames.

If the NX1 had been from any other company (as opposed to being a "first" offering from Samsung), it'd already be firmly seated as the top video DSLR. Small quirks aside, the 4K is clean, the colors are pleasing, it's light, ergonomic, durable, and I'm surprised more people aren't talking up the tracking AF especially for gimbal work, because it's insanely good. Fly-by-wire lenses actually have a use on the NX1 for video.

The thing is, almost none of the 5D Mk 3 shooters I've come across ever use the video funcunality of their camera. Couldn't care less about video. I'm sure Canon are aware of this as well.

Why would anyone use the 5d3 for video?  it's not built for it.  People have moved on to gh4, nx1, a7s, lx100, etc...  this isn't 2010 where everyone and their mom was shooting video with the 5d2. 

I expect less and less people shooting video with Canon dslrs.  I also expect canon to continue selling less and less cameras.

The Canon Cinema line is the worst thing to happen to the Canon brand imo. They've stopped all progress in regards to image quality on the video side of things with their dslr's based on the underwhelming specs of their more expensive "C" cameras that they don't want to best.

What Canon should do is offer legit pro cameras with high frame rates and raw recording ability with all the bells and whistles for top dollar. Maybe a camera that actually commands its price. 

DSLR's should be B and C cameras to these high end "Cinema" cameras that can offer similar image quality at the standard 24p and 30p frame rates, that way people can actually afford to buy multiple cameras. 

The XC10 is the most bizarre, over-priced camera that's really unbelievable Canon would even produce such a product. With releases like this I've lost pretty much all hope but I wish they would deliver stunning 4K video quality in the next 5D4 update. I'm not holding my breath... 

We will see a 5d 4k. Either 5d4 either 5dc.

it does not compete with c300 (no ND, smaller bitrate, less input output,....).

Canon cannot stay 1080p for ever. 

It is like saying last canon dslr were 720p... They moved full hd they will move 4k, and they cannot wait 4 years from now a 5D5 it is impossible. So it maybe won't be 5D4 who arrives soon but 5DC next year at NAB..

i mean the mark 3 was launched in 2012? its 15 already how many years do they need?

if they can clear out the muddy 1080p and improve the iso, i need clean 6400 iso for night shots

i wouldnt change the ergonomics of the dslr with anything its a bargain for me. both stills weight and performance in terms of price

a dslr and a good lens can take you places, that was the revolution

• Administrators

​hahaha, I opted for the A7s as I was filming Auroras.... Someone bought the 1DC

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?332554-Canon-1D-C-for-sale

At the time I was looking, the exchange rate pushed it under £2600.... Was SOOO tempted, but A7s ticks more of my boxes... No regrets.

​INSANE price. 3900 euros... wow.

Why aren't they valued more? I don't get it. One of THE best images under Red and Alexa.

​INSANE price. 3900 euros... wow.

Why aren't they valued more? I don't get it. One of THE best images under Red and Alexa.

Andrew, they are not more valued because of this in my opinion:

this camera is in between the pro and enthusiast

Pro will get C300 like. Enthusiast like me would like A7 body, or maximum 5D. The 1DC is too big, and it just has a beautiful image. No slow mo like the FS700 or special feature to make it a huge success. Enthusiast will not put 4000 euros for this big body and will get A7S instead for instance. Pro will get FS7, C300.. 

I actually don't see the market for 1DC..