Jump to content

World's smallest DSLM that shoots 4k?


John Matthews
 Share

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

I haven't gone back through all the responses, but is the EM10iii listed?  It's kinda small'ish. I use it and like it.

Good thought.

It's about the same size and weight as the E-M5 iii (and around half the price used). But the older 16MP sensor, and no PDAF, mic input or C4K either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just saw another deal on the GX880 +12-32 kit for 449 euros new. Given the prices on the used market for point and shoots and small DSLM, it's super-hard to get a deal on any smallish camera theses days. According to some, no impressively small cameras will ever be made again. That would be sad and in that case, it makes sense to grab what you can.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

APS-C on L-Mount is going to compete well against M43 if Panasonic continues with currently sized cameras. What would you you choose? Sure, M43 has more features and better resolution, but the FF offers more possibilities when you're not trying to go small.

1223313994_Screenshot2024-01-21at18_21_26.thumb.png.7b6f8395728f1da67b528f681664b268.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I could go either way with these bodies…

It would be easy to say that for stills the S5ii full frame sensor is better and it almost certainly is in my opinion, but there is a strong counter with the G9ii despite having the same body, smaller and lighter lenses at equivalent focal lengths.

For event work, it’s a lot easier for me to say FF, but for most other stuff, I could be tempted with the 4/3 option.

Video and stills.

I presume the G9ii has the same shutter button feel and sound as the S5ii though and that for me has been the biggest and only real issue with the S5ii.

G9ii vs OM-1, I know where my money would go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I could go either way with these bodies…

It would be easy to say that for stills the S5ii full frame sensor is better and it almost certainly is in my opinion, but there is a strong counter with the G9ii despite having the same body, smaller and lighter lenses at equivalent focal lengths.

For event work, it’s a lot easier for me to say FF, but for most other stuff, I could be tempted with the 4/3 option.

Video and stills.

I presume the G9ii has the same shutter button feel and sound as the S5ii though and that for me has been the biggest and only real issue with the S5ii.

G9ii vs OM-1, I know where my money would go.

Man, you really don't like the shutter in the S5ii! It doesn't bug me that much, but I have heard better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

Man, you really don't like the shutter in the S5ii! It doesn't bug me that much, but I have heard better.

Yup. To the he point where for work for stills it’s a dealbreaker for me. Sadly. I wish it were otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2024 at 5:26 PM, John Matthews said:

APS-C on L-Mount is going to compete well against M43 if Panasonic continues with currently sized cameras. What would you you choose? Sure, M43 has more features and better resolution, but the FF offers more possibilities when you're not trying to go small.

1223313994_Screenshot2024-01-21at18_21_26.thumb.png.7b6f8395728f1da67b528f681664b268.png

In reality - neither, because having played around with an S5 ii, I don't like the ergonomics of that body design, it just feels uncomfortable/awkward to use in my hand.

Ignoring that, probably the G9 ii due to smaller & lighter long telephoto lenses, probably better IBIS, lower rolling shutter and less moire issues (assuming the video performance is comparable to a GH6).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

In reality - neither, because having played around with an S5 ii, I don't like the ergonomics of that body design, it just feels uncomfortable/awkward to use in my hand.

See, I'm the other way.

I would prefer it had a 3 way tilt screen like the S1H, never mind the resolution of that kind of screen, or even would have preferred a simple tilt rather than the flip out, plus everyone knows I absolutely hate the shutter button feel and sound 😜 but the rest of it I love.

The form factor and ergos...for me...are just about spot on. For this size and type of camera.

Very similar to Fuji's XH2 which is just about 'perfect' to me as are the OM1 and Canon R3.

Which just goes to show we are all different. Which is cool.

Fix the shutter, I could live with the screen and have some Tamron medium/longer lens equivalents as options and I'd never look anywhere ever again.

But then there is the reality of the current situation. Which is not the above.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well this all went a bit stupid for me. After my last post in this thread I got myself a ZV-1F, the fixed focal length version, which would have been pretty ideal for my use case as I described it.

To digress slightly, a friend of mine has her 30th birthday party this weekend, for which she and some other friends have formed a band - just for that one gig - and have been practising their set since August. I had offered to photograph this one-off gig for them, but they had already secured the services of her brother, a photography enthusiast, to do it. Anyway, saw her in the pub on Saturday and she asked if I could do it after all as her brother has - unsurprisingly - decided he'd rather just enjoy the evening.

Fine. Except for the fact that I sold both my stills cameras in December to finance the FS7.

So now I'm selling the ZV and have lashed out on a s/h A6600. Luckily I've got a bunch of stuff on eBay right now, so I can swallow the cost.

I have to say, though, I'm rather liking the A6600. I know it's had a lot of knocks, not leat on this forum, for the dated sensor, RS etc; but bearing those deficiencies in mind it actually works pretty nicely. The AF (even on my adapted Canon lenses) is excellent, the IBIS is great and from the few video clips I've done it seems it will intercut with the FS7 footage just fine, despite only being 8 bit. It will also, obviously, also fulfil my needs for the festival film that first caused me to chime in on the thread.

So much for a no-gear 2024!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now the GX880 is discontinued without replacement, the OMDS/Olympus E-P7 is the lightest/smallest DSLM capable of recording 4K you can currently buy on the new market. Is that correct?

Over the GX880 and payment for the extra 67g, you get:

  • proper downsampled 4k image using the full width of the M43 sensor
  • proper IBIS
  • much more capable shutter
  • hotshoe and high flash sync 1/250
  • 24fps, 25fps, and 30fps in 4k
  • 30 minute time recording time limit
  • better dials and handling
  • far more color options
  • proper sd card
  • better battery

You lose:

  • flip up screen vs. flip down screen
  • Panasonic menus and other Panasonic video-related features
  • better build quality (E-P7 is VERY hollow feeling and doesn't give much confidence)
  • better quality 60fps footage
  • way less expensive

Am I missing something?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • EOSHD Pro Color 5 for All Sony cameras
    EOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
    EOSHD Dynamic Range Enhancer for H.264/H.265
×
×
  • Create New...