Apple event shot using Blackmagic Cam for iOS

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Apparently there was a BTS video that Apple made, but since took down, that showed a bunch of stuff about how it was shot, including that they edited it on Premier Pro and graded in Resolve.

Here's an analysis video, linked to the relevant section:

I don't know what PP looks like - is that it?

It would be strange if they used PP instead of FCPX...

They are already mainstream today and didn't let pass nor seems they had ignored anything outside their playground altogether mainly the mass democratization of this industry finally, fulfilling the promise made by RED before...

My kudos to them, really, and not only as their customer (less than 24 hours ago spent a few bucks again for 12K acquisition and workflow this time :- )

• Super Members
6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

And the option for Nucleus Wireless Lens Control.

Its great to see this happening but, of course, I did beat them to the punch for incorporating the Nucleus wheel into a phone app by over five years so I feel seen  😂

What isn't so great, though, is it has the frequent propensity for it to zoom the camera in to a very specific (and unusable) 13.9x during movements of the focus wheel.

When it works its good but I'm getting this issue at fairly regular intervals.

I'm using an antique by their standards iPhone 12 Mini so it could be that.

Anyone else tried it and got similar issues ?

• Super Members

Surprisingly, not to mention annoyingly, the REC control of the Nucleus wheel isn't bi-directional with the app.

You can start/stop the app recording from the REC button on the wheel but the app does not return the compliment in terms of keeping the wheel in sync.

Two thoughts.

I shot a short second cam footage on my Iphone 13 with the BMD app. Next to my old P4K, the image is utter sharpened crap. I shot in prores...

Second, does anyone have an EASY way to get the footage from the BMD app into my PC ? If not, forget about it. It is useless. The BMD cloud also did not work, because you need to pay a subscription, just to get your (local) footage from the phone to your (local) PC.

41 minutes ago, Yannick Willox said:

Second, does anyone have an EASY way to get the footage from the BMD app into my PC ? If not, forget about it. It is useless. The BMD cloud also did not work, because you need to pay a subscription, just to get your (local) footage from the phone to your (local) PC.

Not for a Windows PC, unfortunately. It is very easy to get the footage from the BMD app onto a Mac, through AirDrop, and it's suprisingly fast. I'm not sure if there's a way for you to browse the iPhone's contents with a PC when the phone is plugged into your PC via USB, but if so that would be an option.

3 hours ago, Yannick Willox said:

Two thoughts.

I shot a short second cam footage on my Iphone 13 with the BMD app. Next to my old P4K, the image is utter sharpened crap. I shot in prores...

I guess that having BMD app "Save clip to" to Files and using the Files app to copy/move to an external USB-C SDD/Card would be the quickest way. Alternatively you could set BM app to save on in-app and photo library (waste of space) and these filles will should show up when you connect your iPhone to PC. 

3 hours ago, Yannick Willox said:

Two thoughts.

The footage will look highly processed, even if you shoot Prores, unless you shoot Apple Log.  It's not the codec that disables all the processing, it's the Apple log.

I'm pretty sure that means you can shoot Apple Log and h265 and have an image that isn't over processed, isn't the huge file sizes, and you can record internally and not have to have an SSD etc.

On 11/1/2023 at 4:54 AM, DPC said:

Cinema P3 beats Filmic Pro and the Blackmagic app hands down! It is a mystery to me why it doesn't get more publicity.

Thanks for turning me on to Cinema P3. I had been using ProCam as an Apple Camera alternative app but I never found it intuitive enough that I could really get to know it. The icon symbols were too non-obvious. (Like the icons for Self Timer and Interval are way too similar. ). Cinema P3 is much better for me, it's pretty simple to use. I don't use the iPhone as a camera often enough to get familiar with a camera app so having something simple is best. I have an older iPhone so the Apple camera app doesn't do raw.

18 hours ago, kye said:

The footage will look highly processed, even if you shoot Prores, unless you shoot Apple Log.  It's not the codec that disables all the processing, it's the Apple log.

I'm pretty sure that means you can shoot Apple Log and h265 and have an image that isn't over processed, isn't the huge file sizes, and you can record internally and not have to have an SSD etc.

OK, so I found out I can record to FILES instead of the app.

But I cannot figure out how I can record Apple Log on my Iphone 13 ? Where is this setting ?

1 hour ago, Yannick Willox said:

That means BMD should not make the app available to other Iphone users. I get big file sizes, the stills look ok-ish, but when I press play everything turns into moving blobs.

BMD was released before iPhone 15… it gives much more options that the default camera does not offer. iFilmic exists since long time although now just priced crazy. BMD is just better plus is free.

Bottomline the only difference than 15 Pro offers is Log why should BMD not offer all the other features to all the iPhone users?