GoPro Hero 12 with 1inch sensor and 8K video?

androidlad

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

"...there still aren't many ways to view 8K footage."

I am in doubt these specs are for real for now but even more astonished how people don't realize 8K or even 4K acquisition is often little to none about delivery!

People are stupid or intend to insist on a moot point just for the sake of showing it off?

Specifications sell products to people who don't know how to judge something for themselves.

Also thought that those specs sound to good to be true. But if they are.. that might be a fun ride. Intrestingly enough, Hero11 with its smaller sensor still beats DJI Osmo 4 with 1/1.3 inch sensor in terms of DR and overall detail. Gopro ToneMapping is pretty dope. So if they keep all those tech and jump straight onto 1 inch sensor, and even add 8k.. that might be a noticeble quialty improvment. I just wish they would retain theirs almost rectangle sensor ratio size from Hero11. Not sure of thats even possible. 

28 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

Hero11 with its smaller sensor still beats DJI Osmo 4 with 1/1.3 inch sensor in terms of DR and overall detail.

As long as you don't use it at the dark. I don't know why its low light performance is so worse than comparable sensor in a chinese mid range smartphone. I did a side by side test with OnePlus Nord2, and well.. both videos were unusable! but Hero11 was in different class of unusable. 

Well, I hope 1 inch sensor would solve that lowlight problem. The leaks seems to look real to me. Also Insta360 has a 1inch action camera and it never impressed me. Lets hope GoPro can actually make a big leap with this one. They need it - look at their stock price. Its 3.72$ rn from almost 100 at the peak. 

8 hours ago, kye said:

Knowing GoPro, it would be 8K, but still limited to 120Mbps.

Fast forward to 2035 and the GoPro21 is released with the headline feature of 20K video....  at 180Mbps.

You not knowing GoPro do not know that you can up the bitrate right now on the Hero 11 and earlier models to 200 Mbps using GoPro Labs firmware. This is H265 (10bit). And, btw, you can turn off all noise reduction (unlike some fancy cameras).

I missed the post right above! Sorry about that.

7 hours ago, androidlad said:

Did you know the current GoPro Labs firmware can reach 200Mbps?

Nope, I just googled it and found the tables listing 120Mbps.

I'll revise my estimate...      GoPro21 has 20K video and their super-legit-pro firmware will only allow 350Mbps.  And still has less resolution than a 2.8K Alexa shooting Prores.

1 hour ago, kye said:

Nope, I just googled it and found the tables listing 120Mbps.

I'll revise my estimate...      GoPro21 has 20K video and their super-legit-pro firmware will only allow 350Mbps.  And still has less resolution than a 2.8K Alexa shooting Prores.

Wiseguy, do you know about GoPro Labs firmware? As usual, you get your info from the internet and pass on what you read. 

Two people instruct you on your false information, but you go on.

I have personally shot 200Mbps 5.3k GoPro videos. Read by metadata as 200Mbps. I can't say I notice a big difference, but the option is there.

GoPro Labs firmware. Google that.

Maybe also get a GoPro, learn what it can do, and get back to us after you have actual experience.

Let's see if you can refrain from making a nasty reply to cover your doubling down on your mistake.

GoPro Labs firmware also enables customizing the gamma curve. You can in fact emulate, for example, Fuji's log F-log.

You can also select the color space (gamut), for example, REC2020.

You can also select the amount of noise reduction.

I have done all this, not just read a Wikipedia article. Fact.

7 hours ago, markr041 said:

Wiseguy, do you know about GoPro Labs firmware? As usual, you get your info from the internet and pass on what you read. 

Two people instruct you on your false information, but you go on.

I have personally shot 200Mbps 5.3k GoPro videos. Read by metadata as 200Mbps. I can't say I notice a big difference, but the option is there.

GoPro Labs firmware. Google that.

Maybe also get a GoPro, learn what it can do, and get back to us after you have actual experience.

Let's see if you can refrain from making a nasty reply to cover your doubling down on your mistake.

Lovely to hear from you and read your posts.... as usual!

I have never got on with any ‘action’ camera I have had and I’ve had 1x GoPro and 2x DJI Action.

I have always fancied something like this though… https://www.back-bone.ca/product/h11pro/

I think we sometimes poo poo or overlook some of the smaller point and shoot and phone cameras dismissing them as not being ‘pro’ enough whether we are in fact pros or not.

(Pro IMO is how you act and whether you earn an income from it regardless of the tools which are just that, tools).

The main reason I think I have never got on with ‘action’ cameras is I don’t really use wider FOV’s but shoot mainly within 50-100mm but one of my favourite filming experiences to date was with the Sony RX100v. Except it overheated too much for my use…

7 hours ago, kye said:

Lovely to hear from you and read your posts.... as usual!

No less you two when you don't personally attack each other...

...and there's room for this superior fresh irony which is unbeatable, really, when happens BTW, great one, kye! Had a good laugh here! LOL

Join those like me then... who follow @markr041's videos from the most recent camera releases, who else among us lately?

- EAG :- )

PS: This forum is one of the surviving places on web today, so let's give it the due credit and take care of each other, we'd all lose it without each one of us...

My phone does 8K and outside of my initial test I've never used it. I suppose 8K could be of benefit for even better stabilization?

Having bought action cameras in the past I never end up using them. I'm surprised that there's a market for yearly upgrades for them, honestly. 

I MIGHT end up picking up a feiyu pocket 3 in the future, probably used, because I can think of some real uses for that kind of set up (you can remove the gimbal from the handle and stick it places with magnets while controlling it wirelessly.) 

4 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

My phone does 8K and outside of my initial test I've never used it. I suppose 8K could be of benefit for even better stabilization?

Having bought action cameras in the past I never end up using them. I'm surprised that there's a market for yearly upgrades for them, honestly. 

I MIGHT end up picking up a feiyu pocket 3 in the future, probably used, because I can think of some real uses for that kind of set up (you can remove the gimbal from the handle and stick it places with magnets while controlling it wirelessly.) 

It depends on if there is any information in those extra pixels, or just a higher resolution output of mush from the anaemic bitrate and extreme over-processing.

Early 8K smartphones had about the same amount of image detail as a 2K Alexa.  This is why bitrate matters - if you care about images rather than specs that is.

180 Mbs HEVC, 5.3K 60p, 10bit color, wide gamut, but all transformed to 8bit REC709. This was mainly a test of some guy's LUT to see the colors.

Do you SEE mush? Does this LOOK bit-starved, even though it has gone through YouTube compression (another high efficiency codec) at a much lower bitrate? And, the video was cropped in camera to reduce fisheye distortion.

I think there are people who are not up to date on what modern codecs/processors can do, perhaps because they have not used any newer cameras they comment on. They rest on their decades-old film school habits. Now they just read or, in some cases, misread selective specs (bitrates). 

Yes, bitrate matters, but so does the codec. Which is not news to just about anyone, just about anyone.

I have shot the highest bitrate real RAW video, and I find it hard to distinguish the quality from much, much lower bitrate H265 video, recorded in the latest cameras, at least in terms of resolution (lack of mush).

Codecs, codecs, codecs. And processors that can execute them, all advanced enormously in the last few years. Everyone needs to keep up.

And, no, the Hero11 video quality is not as good as the latest ARRI. But it's not chopped liver either.