GoPro Hero 12 with 1inch sensor and 8K video?

androidlad

3 hours ago, markr041 said:

180 Mbs HEVC, 5.3K 60p, 10bit color, wide gamut, but all transformed to 8bit REC709. This was mainly a test of some guy's LUT to see the colors.

Do you SEE mush? Does this LOOK bit-starved, even though it has gone through YouTube compression (another high efficiency codec) at a much lower bitrate? And, the video was cropped in camera to reduce fisheye distortion.

I think there are people who are not up to date on what modern codecs/processors can do, perhaps because they have not used any newer cameras they comment on. They rest on their decades-old film school habits. Now they just read or, in some cases, misread selective specs (bitrates). 

Yes, bitrate matters, but so does the codec. Which is not news to just about anyone, just about anyone.

I have shot the highest bitrate real RAW video, and I find it hard to distinguish the quality from much, much lower bitrate H265 video, recorded in the latest cameras, at least in terms of resolution (lack of mush).

Codecs, codecs, codecs. And processors that can execute them, all advanced enormously in the last few years. Everyone needs to keep up.

And, no, the Hero11 video quality is not as good as the latest ARRI. But it's not chopped liver either.

I've played your game before...  if I say I see mush then you blame YT compression and you claim victory, if I say I don't see it then you claim victory.

No thanks, I'm interested in film-making, not whatever mind-games you like to play.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I hope I'm wrong but I think the 'leaked' gopro 12 image are fake purely on the basis that I don't think gopro would write 1 inch sensor on the side of the camera even if they did release a camera with a 1 inch sensor. Clearly a faked image to bait all the people that have been yelling "GIVE ME 1 INCH SENSOR NOW" for the last several iterations of gopro.

10 hours ago, kye said:

I've played your game before...  if I say I see mush then you blame YT compression and you claim victory, if I say I don't see it then you claim victory.

No thanks, I'm interested in film-making, not whatever mind-games you like to play.

You sound mental.

The video objectively looks very good and if you watch it in 4k it has plenty of detail. For such a tiny sensor camera its very impressive. But.. I mean, whatever.  

2 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

You sound mental.

The video objectively looks very good and if you watch it in 4k it has plenty of detail. For such a tiny sensor camera its very impressive. But.. I mean, whatever.  

I've "discussed" things with him before in other threads, and all he did was keep moving the goalposts to avoid being wrong, so I just cut to the chase in this thread.

In terms of the video...  meh.  It looks like a GoPro.  A video signal that's been over-noise-reduced, over-sharpened, over-compressed, then "graded" and uploaded to YT.  I'm not saying it would be perfect if it wasn't so compressed, but the RAW video from the smartphones I've seen looked like deep-DOF RAW video from any competent RAW-shooting camera, and this footage looks absolutely nothing like that RAW footage does.  The fact that those smartphones have a similar sized and spec'd sensor tells me the GoPro look isn't the sensor, which only leaves the processing.

The poster deliberately tries to go for the video look, and the GoPro does it wonderfully.  Others, including myself, prefer the look of more expensive cameras, and this doesn't look even remotely close.