DJI Pocket 3?

sanveer

Though I've used the pocket 2 only briefly, I absolutely loved the form factor and stabilization, and the quality of video is pretty decent. It does have its little quirks, but they can be easily be ironed out.

I feel DJI should improve on the design and just improve on everything. The new Air 3 has this superb dual camera setup, which, IMHO, looks like the perfect setup for the Pocket 3. The specs are:

"Dual 1/1.3 inch cameras capable of shooting up to 4K/100 slow motion, 4K/60 HDR, and 2.7K vertical

Bottom camera: 24mm equivalent, F1.7, 2.4um pixel size

Top camera: 70mm equivalent, F2.8, 2.4um pixel size

48MP stills

(https://dronedj.com/2023/07/16/dji-air-3-everything-we-know-so-far/)

The dual camera setup seems like the natural progression from the present Pocket 2, especially since its coming in the Air 3, making the design and camera specifications easy to fit into the Pocket design.

What do you feel? Have you used the pocket? Do you like the form factor and ease of use? Do you feel the pocket needs version 3.0 with this dual camera design of the Air 3? 

F0cQTkzX0AAY84M.jpeg.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, sanveer said:

Though I've used the pocket 2 only briefly, I absolutely loved the form factor and stabilization, and the quality of video is pretty decent. It does have its little quirks, but they can be easily be ironed out.

I feel DJI should improve on the design and just improve on everything. The new Air 3 has this superb dual camera setup, which, IMHO, looks like the perfect setup for the Pocket 3. The specs are:

"Dual 1/1.3 inch cameras capable of shooting up to 4K/100 slow motion, 4K/60 HDR, and 2.7K vertical

Bottom camera: 24mm equivalent, F1.7, 2.4um pixel size

Top camera: 70mm equivalent, F2.8, 2.4um pixel size

48MP stills

(https://dronedj.com/2023/07/16/dji-air-3-everything-we-know-so-far/)

The dual camera setup seems like the natural progression from the present Pocket 2, especially since its coming in the Air 3, making the design and camera specifications easy to fit into the Pocket design.

What do you feel? Have you used the pocket? Do you like the form factor and ease of use? Do you feel the pocket needs version 3.0 with this dual camera design of the Air 3? 

F0cQTkzX0AAY84M.jpeg.jpg

I think the biggest weakness of these budget cameras is the lack of good codec / bitrate.  In practice it puts a ceiling on what you can do with the images in post, however, having multiple cameras might go some way to mitigating that issue.

For example, if they created a setup where there were focal lengths like a phone with a super-wide and a 'normal' (and maybe even a tele), then this would mitigate the issue of having to crop heavily into a super-wide.

Also, if they had a sensor that allowed a 2x digital crop (for example), that was coming from a sensor with >4K resolution, then that would allow a 2x digital crop to downsample from >1080p.  If that mode was also paired with processing that had dedicated levels / algorithms for that mode, and was saved as a 10-bit file, it would be quite flexible in post.  (All else being equal, a downsampled 1080p file with a small amount of sharpening to compensate is practically indistinguishable from a 4K file).
This would also allow the two (or three) focal lengths to be spread apart further, increasing its flexibility.

The lack of something wider than 24mm equivalent is a major limitation for the form-factor though, as something wider than 20mm not only enables vlogging, but also allows for a great number of situations where a tiny pocketable camera is most desirable (viewing the incredible vista from lookouts, getting shots in narrow European streets that are wide enough to show the buildings as well as the street, getting shots inside venues like cafes and restaurants without having to out your camera so far away from you that people wonder WTF you're doing or that you've forgotten it, etc etc).
There's a reason that Apple puts an ultra-wide and a normal lens on the two-camera iPhones, rather than putting the normal/tele combo.  It's because the ultra-wide is more useful to the average person in normal life and on holiday.

• Super Members
6 hours ago, kye said:

I think the biggest weakness of these budget cameras is the lack of good codec / bitrate.

Bitrate is 100mbps fixed which is near as dammit the upper limit of the variable bitrate that my iPhone 12 uses (a typical comparator for what people would use a Pocket for) and I don't find it lacking for the purpose.

More important for me is that the Osmo Pockets have Cinelike D which is a good compromise and very easy to grade.

I had to do a little project at the weekend using the LX10/15 (with my Cinelike D hack activated) and the Pocket and they matched easily both in terms of colour and acceptably enough in image quality.

6 hours ago, kye said:

Also, if they had a sensor that allowed a 2x digital crop (for example), that was coming from a sensor with >4K resolution, then that would allow a 2x digital crop to downsample from >1080p.  

On the Pocket 2, it is derived from a 4.6K sensor which is giving about 1.2x lossless zoom when shooting in 4K and roughly 2x and 1.6x in 1080p and 2.7K respectively.

In the edit, I punched in to around 2x on a 4K file from my weekend project and was comfortable with the result so I wouldn't be bothered going up to say 1.5x as a safety and then adding the rest in the edit.

A big advantage of the Pocket is adding the control stick which will give you full pan/tilt/zoom controls right from the handle.

That usability trumps a small loss of image quality for the purposes I use it for.

6 hours ago, kye said:

The lack of something wider than 24mm equivalent is a major limitation for the form-factor though, as something wider than 20mm not only enables vlogging

The 24mm in that spec is coming from it being a drone camera though.

The actual lens on a Pocket 2 is 20mm f1.8.

On of the beauties of this camera though are the magnetic clip on wide angle adapters (which gives you 15mm) and of course the anamorphic versions too.

As well as also simultaneously being able to us magnetic ND filters too.

If DJI do bring a new version 3 out with an optical zoom and/or with 10 bit capture then that would be great but I have to say that even as it stands now the Pocket 2 is a very compelling camera for travel and, for me, it is a vastly superior proposition to my iPhone for that role.

Its not only because of the creative possibilities it has with having an integrated gimbal so you are not only stabilised but can do tracking etc or the anamorphic and NDs or the ability to have real hardware controls with the control stick.

Its that you can take it out of your pocket, hold the power button on and be ready to shoot 2 seconds later rather than titting about unlocking the phone, opening an app and making sure you are in the correct mode.

Another bonus is that if do have a need for remote shooting or self shooting with tracking then you can operate it from your phone which you can't do with your phone as you are already using it to film with 😉 

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Currently waiting for a gig to start tonight with my Pocket.

Fashionably early though !

Nice to have a stabilised anamorphic camera that raises absolutely zero eyebrows from security staff either on the way in or when you are using it.

70314806-699A-42A5-AE41-A7F440726003.thumb.jpeg.05d2f4deb5cfa43ed54da9c82345359e.jpeg

I'm keen to see some frame grabs when you get them into post!

• 2 months later...
23 minutes ago, androidlad said:

Its looking pretty exciting. Hope the sensor has been tuned like their drones. Also things like a hires photo mode, variable video bitrate option, and a few other goodies should make it a runaway hit. I wonder what the size of the new rotating screen is. 

On 7/24/2023 at 3:32 PM, BTM_Pix said:

On of the beauties of this camera though are the magnetic clip on wide angle adapters (which gives you 15mm) and of course the anamorphic versions too.

On 7/24/2023 at 3:32 PM, BTM_Pix said:

If DJI do bring a new version 3 out with an optical zoom and/or with 10 bit capture then that would be great but I have to say that even as it stands now the Pocket 2 is a very compelling camera for travel and, for me, it is a vastly superior proposition to my iPhone for that role.

Its not only because of the creative possibilities it has with having an integrated gimbal so you are not only stabilised but can do tracking etc or the anamorphic and NDs or the ability to have real hardware controls with the control stick.

Its that you can take it out of your pocket, hold the power button on and be ready to shoot 2 seconds later rather than titting about unlocking the phone, opening an app and making sure you are in the correct mode.

Another bonus is that if do have a need for remote shooting or self shooting with tracking then you can operate it from your phone which you can't do with your phone as you are already using it to film with 😉 

Hope they have lens attachment options for ultrawide and anamorphic. This could be a killer pocket 3, if they get a few things right.

This could be good enough to shoot the next $70 Million Feature on 😉

Clipped_image_20231011_034056_1696975886946_1696976017468.jpg

F8EfKRRWQAA7QL9.jpeg.jpg

Looks promising!

image.png.e62c3f301eb9b937b621c827a6c32c63.png

On 7/24/2023 at 6:02 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Bitrate is 100mbps fixed which is near as dammit the upper limit of the variable bitrate that my iPhone 12 uses (a typical comparator for what people would use a Pocket for) and I don't find it lacking for the purpose.

Let's hope it's keeping up with the Joneses, and offering Prores!

6 hours ago, kye said:

Not unless you're shooting long record times and we all know what that means.....   booooooooooring films!!

Indeed : ) But, we can use 4K 100fps only for acquisition and use it for slowmotion when necessary and the leftover converted it to 4K25 for less boring stuff... ; ) LOL