Shock horror... a vlogging camera that is actually designed for vlogging????

kye

2 hours ago, mercer said:

At least it doesn't have vertical audio. 

Actually, when you turn it sideways, it sort of does?  

@IronFilm - what's it called when you put two omni mics in vertical alignment facing the direction of your non-vlogging hand???

PowerShot-V10_usecase_selfie-vertical.jp

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The Osmo Pockets are great products for vlogging but don't seem very well represented.

Indeed.  I'm aware that at least two of the YT channels I follow are filmed with these, although (shock horror again) these aren't camera channels, they're channels that talk about other things, so I've only noticed when they caught a reflection or something like that.

I suspect there are likely lots of these out in the wild being used.  Their size alone makes them incredible for the minimalist travel digital nomad types who are all travelling out of a pencil case.

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I watched this the other day as well as the one in a very similar vein made by his partner in crime and I've got to say it did neither them nor Canon any favours at all.

It just looked exactly like someone from Canon had invited them down to their office for a couple of hours to have a quick go with one that they had just got in and it was all very sloppy.

This one is a bit more comprehensive and considered in my opinion.

Sony are apparently announcing a new camera on 23rd May which most people seem to think will be the Mark ii version of the ZV-1.

It will be interesting to see whether the lens range on it will be the same or whether it starts wider.

Yes, that was much better considered.

I'd forgotten it has an internal ND - that's a serious feature.  Does that make it a cinema camera?  FX3 users please send in your thoughts....  

I was a tad unkind when I mentioned the ZV-1 because there is the ZV-1F which has a 20mm equivalent lens, but what I said was true, so there is that.  I guess the old marketing trick of "this thing I'm selling is good for whatever problems you are having" never gets old!

At least this one bears some resemblance to the task at hand.  If I was vlogging it would be an interesting option.  Did you watch any of the other reviews?

The setup where it's on a table top looking up at you sure reminds me of this young lady....

Not only does she tend to film herself eating a lot, but I'm 99% sure she uses a G7X.  

@IronFilm would be proud - in windy / noisy situations she whips out her iPhone and uses it like a lav, sycing in post I would imagine.

1 hour ago, kye said:

It's the guy in the Def Leppard t-shirt I feel sorry for

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.f6ed64a94883b9dac4875c3f283a1560.jpg

(and not for his taste in music). He's presumably the one that has to hold the camera every time they go out for a meal. I guess if you have one of those lads then you don't need the flippy out stand thing.

6 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

It's the guy in the Def Leppard t-shirt I feel sorry for

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.f6ed64a94883b9dac4875c3f283a1560.jpg

(and not for his taste in music). He's presumably the one that has to hold the camera every time they go out for a meal. I guess if you have one of those lads then you don't need the flippy out stand thing.

I don't recall seeing her rely on other people to film actually, normally it's selfie-cam or table-selfie-eating-cam or POV cam.  Most of her vlogs are out with different people too, so I don't think this is the typical example of a vlogger dating a camera-holder as I'd imagine is quite common.

• Super Members
On 5/21/2023 at 1:57 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Sony are apparently announcing a new camera on 23rd May which most people seem to think will be the Mark ii version of the ZV-1.

It will be interesting to see whether the lens range on it will be the same or whether it starts wider.

So the ZV-1 Mark 2 has been announced today and Sony have indeed addressed the wide end being wider so it now starts off at 18mm equivalent instead of 24mm equivalent.

But it isn't optically stabilised like the original so you lose a fair amount of that 6mm by having to use the electronic stabilisation.

And the long end has been cut from 70mm to 50mm.

And it is now a lot slower (f1.8 to f4 versus f1.8 to f2.8).

And now we go over live to the Head Of Hopes & Dreams at Sony .....

monty-python-general-direction.gif.c59a52aa08b361ff0f271d7d86cb8363.gif

Love your posts, man, as everyone here by the way ; )

I remind 3 decades ago when I was at their side... Never returned back so far, reason why I don't understand why people don't support brands such as Blackmagic as for instance, when they have fulfilled the promise RED made : ) Or brands like Nikon with no video high-end to protect :- )

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

She didn't compare them with a cinema camera - how am I supposed to watch a review that doesn't do that???

What I concluded from this review (and others) is that: 1) this entire category is half-baked and camera companies are light-years away from providing a solid and slick vlogging experience, and 2) these reviews are like watching people half-way-through the process of getting Stockholm Syndrome....  they clearly don't love them, they clearly don't enjoy the process, they don't like the price, and then their conclusions are positive - like they're saying "please send me the next one to review".

Blink three times if you need help!!

On 5/22/2023 at 2:28 AM, kye said:

I'd say that's because vloggers don't want to vlog while wearing headphones, but.....

feature-1-powershotv10-1400x960px.ashx?m

Didn't you know headphones only exist in 2023 as a fashion statement for you to wear? 

On 5/22/2023 at 2:54 AM, kye said:

@IronFilm would be proud - in windy / noisy situations she whips out her iPhone and uses it like a lav, sycing in post I would imagine.

I see tonnes of youtubers/tiktokkers using their phone as an interview mic, to be synced with later on. 

Thing is: we're a bunch of old people that not understand what the newer generations like, specially because it looks like crap for us. Exactly what our parents thought when saw us listening to Nirvana. 🙂

It amazes me how people now just use their smartphones for EVERYTHING. I do a good amount of stock trading to manage my saved money, and I could not imagine a worst use case than trying to use a real time trading platform on a phone - but more than a half of the people that I saw in the support channels are unding a phone.

Specially because a lot (and I mean a lot) of young people does not even have a computer more, desktop or notebook. Only a phone.

Bad or not, it is the reality. And for a vídeo that the main subject is a person, when the background does not have so much importance, vertical video is much better to see in a phone - the person appears bigger. Only realized it after being a father and filming my daughter - she is the focus, and in most for the filming is capturing her movements, her interactions. To see and share it to my parents, 3000 kms far from here, which will see on their phones, is a much better orientation.

If your target group uses prominently one tipe of media consumption device, is good advice to optimize for it.

Second: I am in a Telegram group of a channel from a couple that makes reviews and do filmmaking courses (kinda good, but focused in content creation), that mostly talk about gear. The majority of people there are starters in content creation, from filming product showcases to weddings. Young people, very tight budget.

A lot of them do the filming for influencers - static things like the influencer making product showcases or moving takes for lifestyle. For these guys, even when their primary deliver is horizontal content for Youtube, vertical shooting is a VERY considered asset - almost all of them have a gimbal, and one of the top 3 topics considered is how easy and good is a gimbal to make vertical shooting. Because, for almost all the Youtube videos that they do, a vertical short cut is needed to go to social media.

And for this bunch, the most coveted camera is the Sony ZV-E10, with Viltrox and Sigma primes - cheap and with good enough results, much better than a smartphone. No IBIS - but they already have a gimbal. No need for EVFs, they grown looking a phone screen. The most advanced ones liked the FX30 - the great Sony AF for video is key fo them. The availablity of good lenses as the Viltroxes too - each day more I think that the Canon decision to block 3rd party lenses is a shot oh the foot, the previous preferred camera for this crowd was the Canon SL3...

And none have "artistic whishes" about their filming - they want a result good enough to compete on market. And I think is a driving force now on market - all this "vlog" cameras appearing shows that. In this Telegram group almost 150 people bought ZV-E10s. But none do that "vlog" style that erroneously people use for reviews, camera on hand, walking. Almost all are tripod or gimbal shots, no walking, a determined subject, background depending on case.

Is a very different world that we are accustomed. No better, no worse, just is it.

Cell phones for video serve their purpose, and are now pretty-good quality.

And, a vertical video sometimes makes the best sense:

This video had 1800 views within one hour. Looks great on a cellphone held normally...

And, for a romantic walk around a lake, a cellphone can come in handy when video-taking is not the point: