Sony New Camera Launch - 29th March 2023

BTM_Pix

12 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I’d go more ‘sideways’ with Sony as from a stills perspective, I’d say ahead, video behind but lenses ahead.

Canon R5c no IBIS so out of the picture for me. I do really like the R3 though!

I am just going to sit on my fence for the rest of this year though as happy with what I currently have for my current needs + big extra tax bill of 14k dumped on me because someone at the tax office made an error in their calculations last year. Plus just want to see what happens in L Mount land for next year.

One thing is certain and that is I will change something up next year and it will either be, in order of expectation:

Swap my S5ii’s for S2H’s, or even Sigma may spring a surprise…

Back to Nikon after 13 years.

Then Sony.

Outside chance of Canon.

You better not swap...   I'm still waiting on your report on the 40-80mm lens!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I’d go more ‘sideways’ with Sony as from a stills perspective, I’d say ahead, video behind but lenses ahead.

Canon R5c no IBIS so out of the picture for me. I do really like the R3 though!

I am just going to sit on my fence for the rest of this year though as happy with what I currently have for my current needs + big extra tax bill of 14k dumped on me because someone at the tax office made an error in their calculations last year. Plus just want to see what happens in L Mount land for next year.

One thing is certain and that is I will change something up next year and it will either be, in order of expectation:

Swap my S5ii’s for S2H’s, or even Sigma may spring a surprise…

Back to Nikon after 13 years.

Then Sony.

Outside chance of Canon.

Yeah the A7RV delivers stunning stills but the video is just way too crippled to call it a proper high-end hybrid. CaNikon have it with the R3/Z8/Z9 but with Sony you gotta go spend 7K for the A1's stacked sensor to get that type of performance and you're still left with an average heat dissipation consumer body and no internal RAW! Panny doesn't do internal RAW either but at least is starting to include ProRes. 

3 hours ago, kye said:

You better not swap...   I'm still waiting on your report on the 40-80mm lens!

3 day wedding with it this weekend…

I’m not anticipating any issues, but the only way to truly test anything is in the heat of battle! 

3 hours ago, Django said:

Panny doesn't do internal RAW either but at least is starting to include ProRes. 

The next gen S1 line (S2) surely will and trump them all for outright video specs. Is my prediction…

20 hours ago, Django said:

Its tough because I'm still pretty invested in Canon glass and the R3/R5C/C70 ticks a lot of boxes but the closed RF mount is a concern

I’ve never owned a Canon and never paid that much attention to them as a brand. Compared with other options at least.

I was aware of course that until Sony pitched up, they were the dominant brand in photography especially.

I have considered them from time to time and one camera I have never really paid much attention to was/is the R3.

Wow. For a hybrid shooter like me and my specific current needs and future needs, it ticks all of the boxes. It’s not a ‘cinema’ camera, but neither are my needs for such a type.

For an integrated battery grip camera, it’s pretty light, especially compared with the Z9 and my S1H with battery grip.

Lens-wise, I am currently really enjoying my Lumix 70-200mm f4 except it’s a bit of a lump. OK, the f2.8 version even more of a lump, but compared with the RF 70-200 equivalent, it’s a lump.

In fact, my S1H with battery grip with 70-200, is a whopping 1kg heavier. And in the hand all day, that is MASSIVE.

The only lens missing from their line up for me is a compact lightweight 28-70 f2.8.

But it’s got my 6k 50p FF internal doesn’t it with raw option if/when required, especially useful (probably) if I wanted to pull stills.

It’s going on The List.

I think a Z8/Z9 and lens options still probably trumps an R3/R6ii with it’s lens options, all things considered, but I’d take a much closer look if any future Lumix does not tick my boxes.

The R3 seems a little over-looked and under-discussed, but maybe I just haven’t been looking…

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

I’ve never owned a Canon and never paid that much attention to them as a brand. Compared with other options at least.

I was aware of course that until Sony pitched up, they were the dominant brand in photography especially.

I have considered them from time to time and one camera I have never really paid much attention to was/is the R3.

Wow. For a hybrid shooter like me and my specific current needs and future needs, it ticks all of the boxes. It’s not a ‘cinema’ camera, but neither are my needs for such a type.

For an integrated battery grip camera, it’s pretty light, especially compared with the Z9 and my S1H with battery grip.

Lens-wise, I am currently really enjoying my Lumix 70-200mm f4 except it’s a bit of a lump. OK, the f2.8 version even more of a lump, but compared with the RF 70-200 equivalent, it’s a lump.

In fact, my S1H with battery grip with 70-200, is a whopping 1kg heavier. And in the hand all day, that is MASSIVE.

The only lens missing from their line up for me is a compact lightweight 28-70 f2.8.

But it’s got my 6k 50p FF internal doesn’t it with raw option if/when required, especially useful (probably) if I wanted to pull stills.

It’s going on The List.

I think a Z8/Z9 and lens options still probably trumps an R3/R6ii with it’s lens options, all things considered, but I’d take a much closer look if any future Lumix does not tick my boxes.

The R3 seems a little over-looked and under-discussed, but maybe I just haven’t been looking…

R3 is a beast! Much lighter indeed than Z9 or other camera + grip. 

Ergonomics are imo second to none (I hate that Nikons don't have a thumbwheel). Joystick and thumbprint reading sensor.

The AF has the standout "eye control AF" feature or "Mind-controlled AF" as Ken Rockwell calls it lol. 

Canon AF in general remains my favourite AF system (Sony may detect a tad bit better but I like having control of my AF system and Canon has the most intuitive AF select system imo).

Stacked sensor means 9.5ms RS in 6K (vs 14.5ms on Z8/Z9).

6K60p RAW internal and with C-RAW Light the bitrate is only 1800Mbps vs a whopping 5780Mbps for 8K60p RAW on the Z8/Z9.

Better LOG options and more LUTs in Canon land than Nikon.

But of course Nikon has other specs up its sleeve, mainly 8K/45MP.

Lens wise, the RF 24-70mm f2.8 is same weight as the Lumix version (900g) plus it has lens IS which neither Panny or Sony have.

By the way the older EF version is 800g and the Sigma Art EF 24-70mm f2.8 is way more affordable than mirrorless versions.

Funny because all this makes me realise the R3 (plus optional R5C/R6ii/C70) really makes most sense for me even though I've been considering switching systems..

just-when-i-thought-i-was-out-they-pull-

45 minutes ago, Django said:

But of course Nikon has other specs up its sleeve, mainly 8K/45MP

Which I probably do not 'need'.

45mp is nice to have for stills, but it's not like I am having any issues with 24mp.

8k is probably slight overkill for my needs and 6k (that I mainly currently use), a bit of a sweet spot. Like 24mp is for stills.

47 minutes ago, Django said:

Funny because all this makes me realise the R3 (plus optional R5C/R6ii/C70) really makes most sense for me even though I've been considering switching systems..

Glad to have been of service 😉

But seriously, as above, I overlooked this camera myself. Aware of it's existence, but for whatever reason, did not seriously consider it.

The Nikon maybe, all factors considered, is the better, on paper, starting from scratch, option, but for my specific requirements, I think right now, the R3 would probably be my pick over the Z9 because as an all round proposition, all factors considered, it ticks even more boxes.

It's also the most costly of any/all options though... 

Not that I am doing anything anytime soon, - just musing 😀

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Which I probably do not 'need'.

45mp is nice to have for stills, but it's not like I am having any issues with 24mp.

8k is probably slight overkill for my needs and 6k (that I mainly currently use), a bit of a sweet spot. Like 24mp is for stills.

Glad to have been of service 😉

But seriously, as above, I overlooked this camera myself. Aware of it's existence, but for whatever reason, did not seriously consider it.

The Nikon maybe, all factors considered, is the better, on paper, starting from scratch, option, but for my specific requirements, I think right now, the R3 would probably be my pick over the Z9 because as an all round proposition, all factors considered, it ticks even more boxes.

It's also the most costly of any/all options though... 

Not that I am doing anything anytime soon, - just musing 😀

Yeah it ticks all my boxes as well. 6K60p compressed RAW is a nice middle ground. All day battery with no overheat is ace.

I'm sure it would be the perfect pro hybrid wedding cam for your needs too. Combined with an R6ii that's a killer combo.

Pricey for sure but there are some really good bargains on grey market (4700€) if you can go that route.

Then again who knows what the competitors will drop next but in that pro integrated battery grip design CaNikon are really the only two brand options..

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ntblowz said:

So white ZV-E1 last 50% more recording time than black ZV-E1 under the sun, that's good to know! Well I feel I made the right choice for white coloour (beside looking fancy haha)

And I didnt knew it have firmware last month to improve SteadyShot.

So white items are cooler.  I would say "who knew" but I think Apple knew all along.

image.png.524f02614b58d31b68bd8268e3989b03.png

Silver cameras also reflect more than matte black cameras that just soak up direct sunlight.

Wraps are actually available for various cameras these days though I suspect a bit fiddly to get right.

I’m surprised actually there isn’t more of a modding market than there is…

I remember one of the first experiments we did in school teaching us about doing experiments.  We got two tin cans, put a hole in each of them, put a thermometer in each to read the internal temperature, and then wrapped one in black paper and one in white paper.  Then we put them in the sun and took temperature readings over something like 30 minutes.

The black container internal temp shot up quickly, and it felt hot to the touch after only a few minutes, but then the temperature started to plateau.  The white one started much more gradually, but slowly and surely kept rising.  

Every minute we took readings and drew graphs of both of them.  We were able to compare the two graphs and IIRC the white one was following the same curve, it was just slower.  By the end of the experiment the white one had almost caught up to the black one.

The colour delays the rise in temp, it doesn't eliminate it.

Maybe that is enough difference to get the shot rather than not getting it, but it's not a permanent solution.

• 2 months later...
On 7/20/2023 at 5:49 AM, MrSMW said:

The next gen S1 line (S2) surely will and trump them all for outright video specs. Is my prediction…

Or even better the Panasonic S2H.... or even better, the Panasonic BS2H!! 

On 7/20/2023 at 5:24 PM, MrSMW said:

Why not ditch the grip? And just carry an extra battery in your pocket? (or do you want the extra grip positions it provides?)

6 hours ago, Evgeniy85 said:

Yeah Sony and their hidden gimped 3rd party support... if catalyst result is the same Sony really purposely nerfing 3rd party lens on active and dynamic active IS.

Canon and Panasonic on the other hand their EIS works the same on native or third party. 

So Sigma 28-70 on Panasonic will be a lot more stable than Sigma 28-70 on Sony as 3rd party only got standard IS support.

• 1 month later...