Sony A5100 rumoured to have 50 Mbps XAVCS

utsira

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm thinking Sony got it right this time and the video will be impressive. Anxious to see what they add to the RX10 mkii. Thinking it will have to have 4k. But will it get Slog? With improved dynamic range it could be a dream camera for a lot of people.

Cinema 5D have tested the A5100, found it to have 13 stops of DR and less rolling shutter than the GH4. Very impressive at this price. It's good that cinema 5D now seem to be testing this kind of thing routinely. No mention though of what difference the 50 Mbps XAVCS makes vs AVCHD. I guess it's harder to devise a repeatable test for the kind of things you'd expect a higher bitrate to be better at, such as the amount of visible mud, blocking when filming detailed motion and so on. It would be interesting to see this up against a hacked D5200, to see who the king of apsc is. More testing to come apparently.

http://***URL not allowed***/lab-review-sony-a5100-video-dynamic-range-power/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=lab-review-sony-a5100-video-dynamic-range-power

Cinema 5D have tested the A5100, found it to have 13 stops of DR and less rolling shutter than the GH4. Very impressive at this price. It's good that cinema 5D now seem to be testing this kind of thing routinely. No mention though of what difference the 50 Mbps XAVCS makes vs AVCHD. I guess it's harder to devise a repeatable test for the kind of things you'd expect a higher bitrate to be better at, such as the amount of visible mud, blocking when filming detailed motion and so on. It would be interesting to see this up against a hacked D5200, to see who the king of apsc is. More testing to come apparently.

http://***URL not allowed***/lab-review-sony-a5100-video-dynamic-range-power/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=lab-review-sony-a5100-video-dynamic-range-power

The GH4 rolling shutter test is done in 4k, which is much worse than it is at 1080p. Also that a5100 images looks pretty soft. The "colorchecker" text is hard to read even though it's quite a big font. However the dynamic range they claim is most excellent, if true.

I'm still a bit puzzled about the mention of full pixel readout, and wonder if that's really the case. Given the fact that we've not seen that feature in any (Sony) camera under $1k, and even those have less megapixels to read. And now they (or just the rumour mill?) claim a $550 entry level consumer model with a 24-megapixel sensor does the same? Doesn't seem to make much sense to me. 

Apart from Sony, the sources that talk about the full pixel readout haven't seen, let alone used the camera yet, but those who have, like Sebastian Wöber in that Cinama5D article, don't. He also states "it becomes apparent that there is some aliasing going on in the A5100" in his test report, which would indicate either lack of an AA filter or line skipping/pixel binning of some sort, or both. Something similar to the a6000.

And why put such tech in a camera whose potential buyers aren't likely to appreciate, let alone need it? What's the point of giving full pixel readout and 13 stops of dynamic range and then lock and hide them inside some pre-baked portrait and "selfie" modes of a hipster camera that has no EVF, no mic input or headphone jack? 

Oh well, whatever. But I think it's a good idea to wait and see what the camera really is, and not amplify the hype prematurely, as usual. Not that I would mind if all the hype was true, but I think it would be a bit, um, ironic, in lack of a better word. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yes these Cinema 5D results aren't very promising. They say full sensor read-out yet aliasing and moire look very similar to the a6000/D5300. Detail seems identical too. I guess the 50mbps XAVC-S advantage will appear in fast motion, maybe...

Truly great camera, it's just that the a6000 have been here and great too.

However, let's wait and see more tests.

The GH4 rolling shutter test is done in 4k, which is much worse than it is at 1080p. Also that a5100 images looks pretty soft. The "colorchecker" text is hard to read even though it's quite a big font. However the dynamic range they claim is most excellent, if true.

I think 5D may have mislabelled their diagram, comparing it to Samuel's figures over at DVX user. He measures GH4 4k at 22.5 ms and 1080p at 13.7, suggesting that Cinema 5D's GH4 measurement of 14ms is actually for 1080p. 

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?303559-Measuring-rolling-shutter-put-a-number-on-this-issue!

But I agree that the detail looks the same as other APS-C cameras at the moment, i.e. a bit soft. 

Regarding the full sensor readout, that comes from an interpretation of the Sony press release:

Additionally, with the power of the BIONZ X processor, the camera is able to read, process and output data from all of the sensor’s pixels during video recording, ensuring that it produces the highest quality video possible by eliminating aliasing, moiré and false color artifacts.  

It's possible that what is actually being described here is a form of pixel binning, but that would be a somewhat disingenuous description even by PR standards. I don't know a lot about moire, but I thought that even a full sensor readout doesn't eliminate it completely. 

The Cinema5d article has been updated to state that there are, in fact only 10.5, stops of dynamic range.

Apparently there was a bug in their test software.

Clearly the strongest ISO values are ISO200 and ISO800, while ISO800 provides slightly more dynamic range reaching 13 [UPDATED!] 10.5 measured stops with Creative style “Portrait (-3, 0, -3)â€.

The Cinema5d article has been updated to state that there are, in fact only 10.5, stops of dynamic range.

Apparently there was a bug in their test software.

Wow. I guess it was too good to be true. Props to 5D for being so transparent with their corrections though.

That's not in this press release, are there several?

https://presscentre.sony.eu/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=9896&NewsAreaId=2

It says so on their blog: https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-debuts-ultra-compact-%CE%B15100-interchangeable-lens-camera-with-impressive-autofocus/ . It's an interesting claim, given the preliminary results.

I'm still a bit puzzled about the mention of full pixel readout, and wonder if that's really the case. Given the fact that we've not seen that feature in any (Sony) camera under $1k, and even those have less megapixels to read. And now they (or just the rumour mill?) claim a $550 entry level consumer model with a 24-megapixel sensor does the same? Doesn't seem to make much sense to me. 

Don't the rx100mk3 and the rx10 all have full pixel readout? Granted, not APS-C sensors, but still...

Don't the rx100mk3 and the rx10 all have full pixel readout? Granted, not APS-C sensors, but still...

The RX10 was $1,200 camera when it launched less than a year ago. It has a smaller sensor in a much beefier body. Even the full frame A7s is reading a 12-megapixel sensor. Yes, the RX100 Mk3 is under $1k, but it still has the same 1-inch 20-megapixel sensor, whereas the a5100 has a 24-megapixel APS-C one. Oh well, suppose we'll just have to wait and see, as usual. 

Does not having a Mic In bother anyone, considering how well it shoots video (a tually the codec).

Yes, but the whole point of even considering a lower end consumer pedigree camera like the a5100 for video shooting revolves around the price. Good video performance in an inexpensive consumer camera would be a 'happy accident' of a sort. Which is rare. Provided that the a5100 actually does deliver that. If it indeed does, great, one can always use an external audio recorder. No biggie, if the price/performance ratio is good enough.

Case in point, the BMPCC. No one is buying it because it has an audio in plug. People are buying it despite its crappy audio performance, lack of an EVF and several other quirks.