Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)

newfoundmass

41 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

but for our Anglophone destination wedding market

Oh I see, you're not targeting specifically French weddings? But English speakers doing a wedding in France????

I see! 

Maybe only run workshops in the USA? 😛 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@MrSMW Why on earth would you teach a course of "How to shoot hybrid weddings in France for English speakers"???  You're only a few steps off "How to shoot hybrid weddings in France for English speakers named Freddie and Susan" which has a market size of either 1 or 0 weddings a year.

Why not ""How to shoot hybrid weddings"?  

Cameras still operate the same way in France, right?

This is veering somewhat off topic so all I will say is I operate within a niche within a niche.

I have worked very hard for over a decade to be in this position.

I'm not being bigheaded about it, but I'm not going to give or piss it away for either nothing or a fast buck.

And I have no obligation to share that knowledge, paid or otherwise.

As above, way off topic so I'll shut up about it 😘

But no John, it's terrible! 

Now this camera is out for a while, do any of you guys have any favorite LUTs for this camera that you use in the photo mode? i have a serious envy for Fuji and their film simulations.  Googling always gets me the same SEO optimized crap, so I was wondering if any of you have good recommendations 🙂

Potentially the system in Lumix cameras is even better than what Fuji is offering since it can be based on LUTs if you want and therefore you can create very customised simulations.. The only limitation at the moment is that the grain effect (which is very nicely implemented and you can read more about it here) is only available in the L.Neo and L.Monochrome profiles which are very stylised already so unless you base your own profile on those you won't be able to add the grain but let's hope this will change in future firmware releases 🤞

9 hours ago, Davide Roveri said:

Potentially the system in Lumix cameras is even better than what Fuji is offering since it can be based on LUTs if you want and therefore you can create very customised simulations.. The only limitation at the moment is that the grain effect (which is very nicely implemented and you can read more about it here) is only available in the L.Neo and L.Monochrome profiles which are very stylised already so unless you base your own profile on those you won't be able to add the grain but let's hope this will change in future firmware releases 🤞

Obviously it depends on how you deliver your videos, but if you're delivering via a streaming service, the compression has such a devastating effect on grain that there's practically no benefit in applying one type of grain over any other, so you may as well just use a grain plugin in your NLE and be done with it.

8 hours ago, kye said:

Obviously it depends on how you deliver your videos, but if you're delivering via a streaming service, the compression has such a devastating effect on grain that there's practically no benefit in applying one type of grain over any other, so you may as well just use a grain plugin in your NLE and be done with it.

I was talking specifically about film emulation for stills not video, like the ones you can find in Fuji cameras 

I have had a play but not really come up with anything I like.

Tried various LUTS I have used for video but somehow it has not quite translated over to stills.

I found that for certain subjects under certain lighting scenarios, sometimes the things worked and sometimes the result was awful.

In the end, I binned it and kept on with my old faithful of batch editing on LR import, all the raw files from any shoot and then just individually tweaked images before spitting out the lot as a set of finished Jpegs.

I get the appeal of a look straight out of camera, but IMO, Fuji still do this best.

Nikon also have an option for it, but again, it's a bit of a faff and not set up like Fuji.

Where Lumix have an edge though is in the available crop modes, - there are more than anyone else such as 65:24.

The latter can look stunning if you shoot for it ands by shooting Jpeg + raw, have the benefit of seeing and capturing in the panoramic crop, but being able to change to anything in post within the 3:2 raw file.

I wish Nikon had this aspect ratio available in camera.

14 hours ago, Davide Roveri said:

I was talking specifically about film emulation for stills not video, like the ones you can find in Fuji cameras 

Lots of people are using NLE's to colour still images, but if you want to get picky then just substitute "NLE" for "post workflow" and then it's format agnostic 🙂 

Social media sites with their low resolution and high compression formats will likely have a reduction in grain to a significant enough effect to make the choice of grain relatively inconsequential, especially considering that the character of still grain is less obvious than moving grain.

Browsing vintage cameras and some not so vintage cameras like the S1H I searched the comments section to reassure myself of my S1H purchase. 🙂 I recognised a member of our forum and browsed his content finding a variety of awesome lumix material and beautifully filmed skating action. I came around this 8bit masterpiece, filmed with a GH4 and a G85. Awesome stuff! @Al Dolega  So how do you like your S5II so far?:)

Congrats on your awesome content, and the image you got out of the GH4 and G85! What profile did you use, lenes?:) Silly me asking, despite owning great other cameras with modern codecs. But these little cameras are so much fun to play around with and talk about. Still loving my GX85. I like the resolution but lack of oversharpness in this video, also the natural and beautiful color palette. Anyway, some 8bit Mft greatness:

5 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Browsing vintage cameras and some not so vintage cameras like the S1H I searched the comments section to reassure myself of my S1H purchase. 🙂 I recognised a member of our forum and browsed his content finding a variety of awesome lumix material and beautifully filmed skating action. I came around this 8bit masterpiece, filmed with a GH4 and a G85. Awesome stuff! @Al Dolega  So how do you like your S5II so far?:)

Congrats on your awesome content, and the image you got out of the GH4 and G85! What profile did you use, lenes?:) Silly me asking, despite owning great other cameras with modern codecs. But these little cameras are so much fun to play around with and talk about. Still loving my GX85. I like the resolution but lack of oversharpness in this video, also the natural and beautiful color palette. Anyway, some 8bit Mft greatness:

That's a cool edit too @Al Dolega.  Nice pacing, good rhythms, nice use of the non-trick shots to break things up, etc.

These more 'percussive' styles of editing remind me of programming break-beats in music production.  You need the right amount of things happening on the rhythm to keep it going, but enough things that are off to keep it interesting and fresh, and enough variety in the whole thing to separate it from everyone else's work.

Wow thanks@PannySVHS! Never thought my stuff would be brought up here.

The S5IIX, to be honest I haven't been shooting much this year so not a ton of time with it yet, but a bit of a mixed bag so far. Love the new AF, the intraframe codecs are nice to have as my stuff has so much motion in it. Other than that it's mostly the same as my S1, which was/is great (other than the AF). On the negative side, my X has had a problem with looseness and glitching in the mic jack since I got it. Wasn't bad at first as I customized my cage to put a little bit of pressure on the plug, which worked for a while, but now it's gotten worse and I have it boxed up to go to Panasonic for repair. I'm not a fan of the new processing for the linear profiles, I shoot entirely in V-Log so it actually doesn't affect me, but... gross, looks like cellphone footage. I'm eagerly awaiting the S1Hii or S1X or whatever comes next, but they'd better fix that processing.

The piece you posted was almost entirely Cine-D, a couple of V-Log L shots from when there was that "hack" to install it on the GH4 for free- and I'm glad I didn't just pony up for the official upgrade, because I couldn't get around banding in the sky (you can really see this in the shot at 0:17, and it's not just YouTube's compression), would have been a waste of money. For post I just used the Leeming Cine-D LUT, and then his "Rich Velvet" Quickie (look) LUT, pulled back a bit. I liked the density and saturation this gave me, reminded me of some HVX200/HPX170 stuff that I'd seen years ago. Past that just some selective Neat-ing and a bit of unsharp mask. I appreciate you noting the detailed/not oversharp look, that's what I've always gone for.

Lenses, for fisheyes the GH4 had a cheap "manybrand" (Samyang/Bower/Rokinon etc) 8mm f3.5, on a 0.64x Metabones BMCC booster that the shutter would crash into if triggered so I had to remember to WB with a different lens. Then on the G85 I had the native-mount manybrand 7.5mm f3.5, much easier to work with, smaller/lighter/cheaper/sharper, but not as wide of a FOV. The booster/8mm shots are the ones with the slight vignetting in the corners. For regular lenses it was about half adapted Minolta MD/MC stuff, no booster as I couldn't find an affordable one that didn't flare/blue dot like crazy, and half Nikkors on a Metabones 0.71x booster. No Panasonic lenses as I couldn't get good results with manual focus or AF.

Thanks @kye, the truth is that I really struggle with editing and rely heavily on beat/music/rhythm for structure and flow. So that means a lot. The B-roll shots are actually a bit sparser in this piece than usual, this is a reaction on my part to so many other video profiles of female rollerbladers often being padded out with too much slo-mo, B-roll, and second/third angles of tricks, usually to cover for a lack of clips of actual tricks. Chynna is arguably the best in the world at this style of skating so I wanted this to be a bit more "all killer no filler"- 35 tricks in 4 minutes- typically the better men in the sport will have about 25-35 tricks in this length, while the aforementioned female pieces have 15-20, plus plenty of slomo of them tying their hair up and putting their skates/helmets on 😄

53 minutes ago, Al Dolega said:

Thanks @kye, the truth is that I really struggle with editing and rely heavily on beat/music/rhythm for structure and flow. So that means a lot. The B-roll shots are actually a bit sparser in this piece than usual, this is a reaction on my part to so many other video profiles of female rollerbladers often being padded out with too much slo-mo, B-roll, and second/third angles of tricks, usually to cover for a lack of clips of actual tricks. Chynna is arguably the best in the world at this style of skating so I wanted this to be a bit more "all killer no filler"- 35 tricks in 4 minutes- typically the better men in the sport will have about 25-35 tricks in this length, while the aforementioned female pieces have 15-20, plus plenty of slomo of them tying their hair up and putting their skates/helmets on 😄

Well, you fooled me into thinking you didn't struggle.

In my travels I've found there are only a few types of editors:

• People that love it and push themselves and put in the hours to create great work
  • People that don't love it, but have somehow found a way (or get pushed by someone else) to grind through the process to get great edits
  • People that don't put in the work and create edits that are good enough / functional / uninspired / plain / blah
  • People that create shit edits
  • People that don't edit and either do 25 minute rambling time wasters, livestreams, or simply don't finish projects at all

Cool to hear that you're editing women skaters like men, and especially with someone as skilled as Chynna.  I skated for many years in my youth, both skateboarding and later roller-blading, and I have just enough skill to know how crazy the tricks in that video are.  Especially considering they were all shot in one day, I assume from the title?

If you're someone who likes analysing the work of others and can take tricks from one genre to another, this episode of Parts Unknown is the best editing I've ever seen:

It has every effect I've ever seen in those trendy 'transition-fest' travel videos from the hey-day of Vimeo, but done way better, has transitions I've never seen elsewhere, has editing styles from across the board, and makes all other non-narrative editing look plain and pedestrian, and makes the best of YT creators look like amateur hour at the local craft fair.  Anthony Bourdain was famous for giving editing notes worse than anything the YT comments section contains, and doing it for version after version after version, and I think this might have been the high-water-mark for this type of highly-stylised editing.