Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)

newfoundmass

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, 92F said:

You mean the wheel..?

You mean the wheel..?
It's just an up and down in the menu to check between 2 LUTs

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

You can assign it to toggle on/off in "Fn Button Set".

The down position on the dial as he is using it is Fn10 

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/dscoi/DC-S5M2/html/DC-S5M2_DVQP2839_eng/0112.html

thx got it.

7 weddings in and impressed with the S5ii.

Getting used to the flip out screen but would still rather have the multi angle tilt from the S1H.

Prefer the files coming out of the S5ii over the S1H. Those from the S1H are just a little too soft for my taste in comparison, probably due to the OLPF.

However, possibly due to the OLPF, I prefer the photo files from the S1H. The exact opposite of what is supposed to be…

Moiré, only seen one single mild instance in one single clip and not a single time in a still photo.

AF has been great but not perfect. No AF is and I still prefer to use AF to acquire initial focus and then flip to manual. Unless tracking where I have to rely on it.

Conclusion to date:

For me, S1H is the ‘better’ stills camera and the S5ii is the ‘better’ video unit.

I don’t miss my S1R’s at all. I thought I might, but do not. 24mp is more than enough for my needs.

What is still ‘missing’ for my needs?

I have come to the conclusion that as much as I’d like to go to a 2 camera set up, unless I can rely heavily on pulling stills from video…and for that I’d need 6k 50/60p 422 10 bit as a minimum, the 3 camera approach works best.

On that basis, I would like 3 things in the future:

1. 3x identical bodies rather than 2 + 1

2. 6k 50/60p 422 10 bit internal (min)

3. A smaller and lighter lens to replace the Lumix 70-200mm f4, even if it topped out at 150mm. I will continue to use it until either Lumix or more likely Sigma does, but it’s the one lens I ‘need’.

All things considered, the S5ii has to be the best overall camera I have ever owned and the only thing I’d change it for at this point in time is an X model purely for the aesthetics.

8 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

I've seen it lots of times, unfortunately, on suit jackets and other fabrics. I would prefer a softer, moire free image

Weird!

I get a lot of different fabrics and lighting conditions…

This next weekend will now probably be Moiré City 🫣

Well now here’s a curve ball…

So back whenever it was that the X was officially announced, I preordered a pair.

The wait time for France was long so I cancelled and bought another used S5ii.

But I just received notification that my new X came into stock, they took the funds and arrives tomorrow.

I thought I had cancelled both but what with them being French and all…

Aaaaaaargh…

I could send it straight back, or keep it, order a battery grip (needs it for the 70-200 f4) and sell the S1H with its battery grip.

Financially, it’s little difference, just the cost of the grip really.

The pros are; smaller, lighter, faster, newer camera plus all 3 bodies identical (except aesthetically) and I can bake in my preferred LUT.

Cons; can’t think of any actually other than it would mean saying sayonara to my S1H.

Ok what picture profile are you guys shooting on? On the panasonic S5 I mainly shot natural. Now I also got an S5II and the natural profile looks very different, now I want to use both camera's on the same shoot, so I figured I want to shoot V-log. 

And offcourse I did some test shots, and oh my, V-log is soooooo noisy, I was expecting a bit more noise. But the difference is immense. So not sure if I should use natural on both camera's and try to match them as good as possible, or try my luck with V-log on this shoot (there is a significant DR bump in V-log though, but not sure if its worth the trade off in Noise). I want to avoid post noise reduction. (I just tried the noise reduction on V-log in Camera from 0 to 5 (half way). But I don't see any major difference really. 

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Well now here’s a curve ball…

So back whenever it was that the X was officially announced, I preordered a pair.

The wait time for France was long so I cancelled and bought another used S5ii.

But I just received notification that my new X came into stock, they took the funds and arrives tomorrow.

I thought I had cancelled both but what with them being French and all…

Aaaaaaargh…

I could send it straight back, or keep it, order a battery grip (needs it for the 70-200 f4) and sell the S1H with its battery grip.

Financially, it’s little difference, just the cost of the grip really.

The pros are; smaller, lighter, faster, newer camera plus all 3 bodies identical (except aesthetically) and I can bake in my preferred LUT.

Cons; can’t think of any actually other than it would mean saying sayonara to my S1H.

I think the S1H has a slightly nicer image, but I think the benefits of the X and the convenience of having three of the same cameras makes more sense. 

7 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I think the S1H has a slightly nicer image, but I think the benefits of the X and the convenience of having three of the same cameras makes more sense. 

My dilemma is my current set up meets all my current needs.

It would make more sense to flip my S1H for another S5ii or X and what I would gain would be enough to warrant it, but…

I am still considering my future wants. Wants, not needs.

My plan was to keep the S1H for at least the rest of this season and wait on what a future replacement might be and only then decide whether to move towards a 3x S2H line up, or flip the S1H for another S5ii.

But then shooting the baked in Lut option has great appeal right now…

I think I’ll sleep on it over the entire working weekend…

19 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

I've seen it lots of times, unfortunately, on suit jackets and other fabrics. I would prefer a softer, moire free image

I wonder if it has anything to do with my use of a Freewell 1/8th mist filter 100% of the time for all my video work? It’s the only factor I can think of.

9 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

V-log is soooooo noisy, I was expecting a bit more noise. But the difference is immense.

You think so? What ISO’s are you shooting? I stick to 640 outside and 4000 inside (both with VND) and have a 3rd option of the Flat profile for low light with auto-ISO, 100-12,800, no VND.

I used to shoot Natural previously on the S5 and S1H but after a year of that, decided I preferred the Flat profile.

Quite a few folks who do not shoot log seem to like the Cine V SOOC. Or is it Cine D? I get the two confused…

5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I wonder if it has anything to do with my use of a Freewell 1/8th mist filter

I'd say that must be helping things.

14 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

V-log is soooooo noisy

It's noisier because I think the standard profiles have some level of built in NR that can't be switched off completely, whereas V-Log does. But also read back a few pages about V-Log and exposure versus normal profiles. If you expose V-Log 640 at ISO 100 (ie: overexpose it) you will get lovely, clean footage. There are 6+ stops above middle grey in V-Log. As long as your scene doesn't clip in the highlights (or if you don't care about that) you should ETTR to reduce noise, even by raising ISO. 3200 overexposed and brought down in post is cleaner than the same scene exposed normally at 640.

I was using the Gamut conversion LUT in post so using the same for monitoring.

I have switched to the Phantom Arri Natural LUT as my basic conversion now and using in camera err…the same Gamut one for monitoring because I keep forgetting to load the Phantom one 🤪

I don’t think it makes much difference to be honest between any of them unless it’s something very different.

4 hours ago, seanzzxx said:

Why lose 2,5 stops of highlight detail when exposing properly

If the scene doesn't have 3.66 or more stops above middle grey (most don't) then you're losing nothing.

20 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

What monitor LUT do you guys use on V-log, I now jus thave it on the REC709 Vlog lut that cam with the camera, but I might be not contrasty enough?

Load that up in Resolve (it's built in), add some contrast and export as a VLT

1 hour ago, hyalinejim said:

If the scene doesn't have 3.66 or more stops above middle grey (most don't) then you're losing nothing.

Load that up in Resolve (it's built in), add some contrast and export as a VLT

Do you also do this, or do you just use the default LUT? Not sure if its wise to shoot with a higher contrasty lut.