Panasonic GH4 footage shot with the EOSHD Shooter's Guide Cinema Settings

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The red dot on the adapter at the lens mount side was a great hint, but I could be wrong. But what most intrigues me is the little lever at the right on the adapter.

purely speculation here ...but has the adaptor got Image stabalisation built in - separate to the lens .....is that the big surprise Andrew is talking about? is that switch on the side to turn the stabalisation and and off ???.......just a thought could that be done ???

Mr Reed does make a point of saying in the article he is shooting hand held......no rig setup - so he was testing that side of things too

purely speculation here ...but has the adaptor got Image stabalisation built in - separate to the lens .....is that the big surprise Andrew is talking about? is that switch on the side to turn the stabalisation and and off ???.......just a thought could that be done ???

Mr Reed does make a point of saying in the article he is shooting hand held......no rig setup - so he was testing that side of things too

Andy, now you're just adding more fuel to the fire, LOL!

But IS on the adaptor would really be a game changer!

However, that switch could just be for something else - an auto/manual switch?

Anywho, the footage looks great whatever & if i hadn't already gone down another route I would probably jump on the GH4 (see no BM owner bashing of GH here).

This is also in light of the BBC testing 4K broadcasting during the World Cup - eventhough you can only watch the broadcasts if you work for the BBC. Good news for 4K in the UK.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I don"t think image stabilization inside a metabones adaptor (or any adaptor maker) is realistic. But, Andrew is saying WOW, so it can't be just a normal ef-m43 speedbooster, because there's nothing wow about that, it's always been known it will be done.

IS for manual/old lenses, well, now that's WOW!

We're pushing Andrew's buttons with these comments :D

IS built into an adapter would be complicated because the degree of lens movement needed to stabilize an image would have to take the focal length of the lens in consideration. Zooms would be very difficult for it. The Olympus bodies that have stabilization built-in can always tell which lens is connected as long as it is an active MFT mount, but for manual lenses you have to enter the focal length in a menu. I'm not saying it is not possible, but if it does, not only would it be an expensive adapter, but you would probably have to update its firmware everytime they add a new lens to its compatibility list.

Purely speculative in theory only. :) But it is pretty much a fact that it is an adapter that isn't passive. The question is, how many features are piled onto this thing. Can't wait.

so in terms of Canon lenses, or any lenses, it not being passive, what does that mean for the user?

Autofocus working with it? Lens IS working?

I really dont see these images as cinematic.

I think we're back in the "how to grade h264 to look like cinema" discussion again.

This blog convinced me that shooting 2x anamorphic raw in 4:3 ratio with my 5d3 was "the shit" and i still believe it,

Honest question: Why should I consider all this new buzz?

Detail? i can see its there, but is only noticeable when you do a 300% crop,

Dont get me wrong, i embrace 4k, but at the cost of going back to a lousy codec and poor bit depth... nope, ill pass.

I think some peoples eyes must be far more critical to image quality than mine, because the image honestly looks fantastic to me. I wouldn't accept any image straight out of the camera without applying grading and a bit of cinema convert film emulation. Add some older lenses to reduce a bit of sharpness where there is too much clinical detail. But saying that, what you get straight out of the camera with just a little grading looks spectacular.

But hey, it seems as if I might just be a bit easier to please. 

Since we are talking about the adapter, I found this. Not much, but what is that thing at the right of the lens (blue arrow)

A plate with a screw in hole for heavy lenses, pretty much standard in all speedbosters and big telephoto lenses.

But this image shows an adapter with a longer end like the BMCC Speedboster and an EF lens. Maybe, finally an EF-MFT (GH4) adapter with active IS?

But when do you guys think such an adapter would be on sale?

I'm buying a GH4, and I want to get a Sigma 18-35 with it, but I don't want to have to buy one with a nikon mount and a nikon m43 speed booster, if a canon one is about to go on sale. 

But at the same time I can't wait for months for something that might not come, argggghhhhhh.

I just need a rough estimate of how long before it hits shelves, so I know if it's worth waiting or not before I start a new project.

only person that knows is Andrew it seems.  He initially stated an "announcement" would be made on June 3rd, however that was postponed.  When asked when it maybe announced again, he stated "when they fix it".  Which could indicate a delay of weeks, to a month, to whenever.  I feel it maybe sooner than later

Since we are talking about the adapter, I found this. Not much, but what is that thing at the right of the lens (blue arrow)

ahhh good catch.  That would indeed be a tripod mount, in which Metabones have on all of their speedboosters.

I think at this point it is safe to say these are fully electronic speedboosters. I say that because there is no way in hell they've incorporated IS into the speedbooster, so that means the camera is supplying power to the lens.

A plate with a screw in hole for heavy lenses, pretty much standard in all speedbosters and big telephoto lenses.

But this image shows an adapter with a longer end like the BMCC Speedboster and an EF lens. Maybe, finally an EF-MFT (GH4) adapter with active IS?

I think you hit the nail on the head... EF- GH4 specific adapter with active IS is what I'm betting on.

Completely gorgeous footage there Andrew. The contrast (whilst keeping detail in the shadows) and the colours are just wonderful. I find it hard to understand how anyone can be critical of the image, which is actually very similar to the way Leica jpegs are rendered (very contrasty with punchy colours).

IS built into an adapter would be complicated because the degree of lens movement needed to stabilize an image would have to take the focal length of the lens in consideration. Zooms would be very difficult for it. The Olympus bodies that have stabilization built-in can always tell which lens is connected as long as it is an active MFT mount, but for manual lenses you have to enter the focal length in a menu. I'm not saying it is not possible, but if it does, not only would it be an expensive adapter, but you would probably have to update its firmware everytime they add a new lens to its compatibility list.

Don't forget that there have been third party adapters for Sony E mount for a while that allow IS and AF with Canon EF lenses (if a bit slow for AF) and E mount has a shorter registration distance than m4/3.    

Guest d5f8611fa423d0e628c016f9d5c93b47

Seeing as we're currently in Speculation City, here's my chips: built in variable ND filter!

Fotodiox are doing it with their non-focal-reducer adapters. ND's work better closer to the sensor too.

I agree that it's now a given that it's an active EF speed booster, and personally I would guess with a very fast/wide spec (full frame?). This would pretty much make the GH4 a complete package to rival the C100 as an all-rounder. 

Built in IS would be insanely amazing but I think that's definitely a pipe dream. Why would Andrew use IS glass for the test if the adapter had it built in? He wouldn't, he'd use primes.

If there is a fancy new feature my money is on a built-in ND filter. Metabones would do it properly with quality glass. It would sell in bucketloads. Panasonic would probably even pay Metabones to do it! In fact now I think about it Metabones would be insane not to do it. 

The only thing that makes me unsure is Andrew's review talks about him using the Heliopan ND. That could be a red herring I suppose, but maybe I'm putting a bit too much thought into this ...