Lenses

Andrew Reid

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

By stopping down to 'f/8 or more', he's actually destroying resolution as a result of diffraction. There's also no need to shoot with the lens stopped down that far, as that gives you everything from one foot to ∞ in focus, a bit overkill. Anyhow, congrats on your purchase.

Getting one is not really any new development. I was one of the launchday pre-orders, I can really appreciate what it's about. Just had a bit of hassle with the logistics of it all, but everything should be set now. Pretty mean alternative to the Oly beast that is the 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO (not small, nimble & light, no filter thread) if you ask me. And you're right of course, for me the f/2 end of the spectrum makes it both useful in lower light situations and giving you interesting depth of field for the angle with fairly close subjects in focus. Of course... on a sunny day, you gotta need to add filters or it's bye bye aperture.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

I rebought the 28mm 2.8 and I love how sharp it is on the G7 with focal reducer:

CanonFD28mmSB1.thumb.jpg.9565dd2ce58fdcc965809d6b88fe06dc.jpg

CanonFD28mmSB2.thumb.jpg.2d4cbeee1c07944fca8c0e46f1ab621e.jpg

I'm loving this lens too. It's a little soft wide open (almost looks like you have a light pro mist or something) but not bad. This is a video I just shot on the G7 with the RMC Tokina 17mm 3.5 + focal reducer:

It's shot at mostly 5.6 until the slow motion shots. The rest is wide open.

This made me regret selling my canon fd lens set ?

I'll repeat what I said just a couple of posts earlier, and that is, unless you're viewing your clips on a 4K or 5K monitor, even if you're shooting 1080p, it's virtually impossible to come to any decisive conclusions regarding color and resolution. I just had a look at some of my lens comparisons between the Olympus 25mm f/1.2 and the Leica 12mm f/1.4 shot and delivered in 4K and realized just how incredibly detailed the Olympus is on my 5K iMac, though I much prefer the cooler rendition of the Leica. Viewing the same images on my 2013 iMac was like looking at the images through Saran Wrap. The same goes for my most recent video shot in 1080p using the BMD Video Assist. The same applies to evaluating images on a 15" laptop cf. to a 27" monitor - it's no contest really - a 27" 5K monitor just kills a 15" laptop, in spite of the fact that they both have comparable dots per inch. 

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

I'll repeat what I said just a couple of posts earlier, and that is, unless you're viewing your clips on a 4K or 5K monitor, even if you're shooting 1080p, it's virtually impossible to come to any decisive conclusions regarding color and resolution. I just had a look at some of my lens comparisons between the Olympus 25mm f/1.2 and the Leica 12mm f/1.4 shot and delivered in 4K and realized just how incredibly detailed the Olympus is on my 5K iMac, though I much prefer the cooler rendition of the Leica. Viewing the same images on my 2013 iMac was like looking at the images through Saran Wrap. The same goes for my most recent video shot in 1080p using the BMD Video Assist. The same applies to evaluating images on a 15" laptop cf. to a 27" monitor - it's no contest really - a 27" 5K monitor just kills a 15" laptop, in spite of the fact that they both have comparable dots per inch. 

The bold part made literally no technical sense. If I'm shooting 1080p, I'd rather watch on a (calibrated) solid, big plasma panel with native 1080p than on a 5k computer screen. How do you expect pixel exact scaling of 1080 pixels to 2880 pixels when it's a factor of 2.666666.... ? The 4k screen does nothing but blowing up 1 pixel into 2x2 pixel patches, except if it has an upscaling function and then it's not representative for the image but for how good that algorithm works.

Regarding the color judgement, the thing you need is a screen that's color calibrated and a fitting workflow. That has nothing to do with screen size, screen resolution and only secondary with the brand it's made by.

27 minutes ago, Phil A said:

The bold part made literally no technical sense. If I'm shooting 1080p, I'd rather watch on a (calibrated) solid, big plasma panel with native 1080p than on a 5k computer screen. How do you expect pixel exact scaling of 1080 pixels to 2880 pixels when it's a factor of 2.666666.... ? The 4k screen does nothing but blowing up 1 pixel into 2x2 pixel patches, except if it has an upscaling function and then it's not representative for the image but for how good that algorithm works.

Regarding the color judgement, the thing you need is a screen that's color calibrated and a fitting workflow. That has nothing to do with screen size, screen resolution and only secondary with the brand it's made by.

It could just be that the color accuracy of the 5K monitor is that much better. Sorry if it doesn't make sense. Anyhow, no question that my 4K clips look ten times better. And I'm guessing there are many more shooters like me, who are capturing in 4K but still viewing on an HD monitor.

Yeah, my phone has a higher resolution than my laptop (or beamer). Just, when a friend got his QHD+ or something display a few years ago, everything on the screen was just too damn small and that scaling of icons/text was a little besides the point and didn't work quite well (even Adobe software back then didn't scale up)... made me commit to native 1080p. High res also made the GPU work a lot harder, more stress on the system, slower, fan noise. Maybe things are better implemented for 4K these days, but yeah, using a large high res external monitor might be a good move to make.

Cosmicar12.5mm_2.thumb.jpg.bf3e00065eaa3b15357c23aa3ca8bc1c.jpg

Cosmicar 12.5mm 1.9 on the G7. I loved this lens on the bmpcc and it's good on the G7 too, though it does vignette a bit, but cropping to scope takes care of it. Of course, since it's 4K I can always punch in more if I want to shoot for 16:9.

Cosmicar12.5mm_3.thumb.jpg.eae4b472825066ba3faf22134ea03e51.jpg

Cosmicar 12.5mm (wide open)

Tokina_17mm_4.thumb.jpg.1e45edc04e266107e4f71f5fa3922d5b.jpg

RMC Tokina 17mm w/ focal reducer (wide open)

Cosmicar12.5mm_4.thumb.jpg.f2cc9369d706b6d667ab7b7c2222fa91.jpg

Cosmicar

Tokina_17mm_5.thumb.jpg.c85dfac7b97d60de4a213595eac0f87b.jpg

Tokina

11 hours ago, mercer said:

Nice. I've been meaning to ask you Jon... how did a guy from Detroit end up retiring in Vietnam?

I'd been writing about Korean cinema for a website called 'twitch' (now Screen Anarchy) while I was attending university, working toward my master's degree in French; I got insanely deep into Korean history; when I completed my studies, my professor offered me a position at the university teaching a beginner's class. Over the summer, there was a huge strike, enrollment dropped in the French dept. (it'd been dropping for a while, since everyone was more interested in Asian languages anyhow), and my professor suggested I go to Korea and teach English, and when I returned, a couple teachers would have retired by then. But once I set foot in South Korea, I never had any desire to return to the States. That was back in 2007. In 2011, I set off for Vietnam for the first time, and over the course of a year, I must've purchased no fewer than six tickets - any time I could scrape together four or five days of vacation, I booked a flight. In 2012, I decided to move to Vietnam. Now, it's just a matter of convenience - Vietnam finally made one-year visas available to Americans, and at that point, I decided there wasn't any reason to continue teaching here - I only taught in order to remain in the country. So I quit my job last year, and have just been shooting video and traveling ever since. I've been thinking of joining a paramilitary group just for fun, but no one will have me. :) 

Interesting story Jon. I found Saigon too hectic with people driving bikes on the sidewalk. We were only there a few days but it felt like it would only be a matter of time before I got injured and I have seen how bad it can be for foreigners in Asia if they dont have health insurance. Even then hospitals can be pretty bad if you get taken to a cheap local one. That happened to my wife. I would have paid for a nice one but wasn't with her so the Thais just took her to the nearest one, which was nasty compared to western standards.

Have you not thought about Hoi An or Da Nang? I loved visiting Hoi An and may move there someday. Its nice for casual cycling and the weather was awesome in March,  so I am guessing it is a good mix year round. I like touristy towns as they have western comforts. For example, I just had a burger so delicious and juicy it squirted juice out like a cherry tomato. Thanks to being in a touristy town in Thailand with an American restaurant. I think Manila put me off big cities.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:58 AM, Matt Kieley said:

Kern-Paillard Yvar AR 26mm 1.9 (first two shots)/Cosmicar 12.5mm 1.9 (the rest). All shots are wide open.

I love how this came out. Did you use diffusion ? The lighting has this diffused like rendering too it idk it looks cool ! How do you like these lenses so far  ?

4 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I love how this came out. Did you use diffusion ? The lighting has this diffused like rendering too it idk it looks cool ! How do you like these lenses so far  ?

Thanks. No diffusion or filters. I bought these lenses back when I had the bmpcc  and I love the look they give, and i'm glad they work (for the most part) on the G7 (some extra cropping is needed for the 12.5mm). The Cosmicar 12.5mm is especially sharp. They're small, but not the smallest c-mount lenses I've owned. Both are made of metal and actually handle nicely. I definitely want to come up with a short film to shoot wit these lenses. I'm thinking maybe a love story, kind of like the s16 flashback sequences in Blue Valentine.