Lenses

Andrew Reid

When purchasing older lenses how does everyone check for fungus?

I know that just looking directly through the lens does not show fungus, need to light from the side to see it.

Any other tips?  

Would anyone purchase a lens with a minute amount of fungus or definitely don't touch?

Will fungus transfer to the camera sensor from a lens?

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nice stuff :) Wonder if you could write a breakdown of which lens was use for what shot?

Thanks Inazuma.

All the portrait shots (+ nature shots) have been done with the Olympus 45mm. Riders actions (tricks) with the Canon 35-105mm and close-up bike while he go with the 135mm 2.8.

Hope it will help you.

shine a very bright LED torch though your lens from the front or back , this reveals a multitude of sins on lenses!

please note if you are using a crop frame sensor APSC or Micro 4/3 and fungus at the edges of the lens this is not even on the part of the lens being used, so dont worry about it as the sensor does no 'see' it at all

I have lots of cheap 'fungus; bargins off ebay that are totally usable on Micro 4/3 .

Fungus will only transfer onto a camera if you leave that lens on the camera for a long time , one afternoons shooting with it will be fine dont worry !!

Anyone know of a cheap, decent 18, 19, 20, or 21mm prime for Nikon mount?

I have a Tokina 11-16 and a Nikkor 24mm 2.8 AIS (very nice lens btw - lovely subtle flares) and I'd really like to fill the gap with something decent. The Nikkor 20mm 3.5 AI isn't very appealing so I'm hoping there might be something I've overlooked? Manual aperture and focus for preference. Fast would be nice. Preferably fairly small but not essential.

Any suggestions?

the Olympus 75-150mm f4 is a great fully manual constant apperture zoom, small and light too

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olympus-OM-auto-75-150mm-F4-Zoom-Lens-Excellent-Condition/131241396496?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D8482600043997488724%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D20140122125356%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D131243297004&rt=nc

I just picked up a Super Paragon 80-200mm f3.8    2 touch, constant apperture zoom off ebay for £1 ..I kid you not.... and it is actually a very very good lens especially at the 200mm end ! with NDs wide open its a very cinematic look

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Paragon-PMC-Auto-zoom-80-200mm-3-8-lens-for-Contax-Yashica-CO-Y-and-DSLR-/390464880074?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item5ae9853dca

Please guys!  :huh:  Can anybody recommend a small, cheap third-party Nikon-mount prime between 18mm - 21mm? 

Andy? Surely if there is one you will know of it?!

cosina 20mm f3.8 and vivitar 19mm f3.8 are boh the same lens

good and cheap - just a bit soft at f3.8 then suddenly sharpens up on stop down from that

you can find both in Nikon mount

this is the cheapest good 20mm /19mm out there

oh I forgot now this is good cheap lens

Cosina 19-35 mm f/3.5-4.5 and viviar series 1 version of the same lens

yes its a zoom but a good zoom that is aspheric AND rectilinear (does not go bendy at edges)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cosina-19-35-mm-f-3-5-4-5-Lens-Nikon-/221500748589?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item339279332d

Ok here is plan B

Ive been doing this for the past 2 months since speedboosters came along cheaply now

28mm f2.8 AIS prime - Nikon - micro 4/3 lens Turbo speedbooster = 20mm f1.8 fast sharp wide prime cheaply

the Nikon 28mm AIS 8 element lens is the best lens Nikon ever made it out performs all their lenses in tests

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28f28ais.htm

Thanks Andy, that Cosina is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I'll check it out. The Vivitar looks rather different - is it the optics that are the same?

PS: I have a Speedbooster - I'm wanting a 20mm on the SB!  :)

Ok here is plan B

Ive been doing this for the past 2 months since speedboosters came along cheaply now

28mm f2.8 AIS prime - Nikon - micro 4/3 lens Turbo speedbooster = 20mm f1.8 fast sharp wide prime cheaply

the Nikon 28mm AIS 8 element lens is the best lens Nikon ever made it out performs all their lenses in tests

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28f28ais.htm

I second this. Extremely happy with my 28mm 2.8 AIS. Razor sharp throughout. Got mine for about $150 mint condition. Bargain imo.