Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Do I feel lucky these days? YES

A few days ago I got a Mitakon Lens Turbo Canon EF mount cheep on eBay. Today - on eBay too - I got a Sigma DC 18-35mm F/1.8 Canon EF mount at a very favorable price. These combined with the kitlens from my Panasonic G6, my 28, 35, 50 and 135mm Yashica ML primes and a Samyang 85mm F/1.4 make me believe that I don´t need to acquire more lenses within the next few weeks :-)

Now I only have to wait for the Lens Turbo and the Sigma to arrive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I bought a canon 5dm2 recently and planning to buy lens for it. Im considering between canon ef 24-70 f/2.8L II and canon ef 24-105 f/4 IS USM.
It will be the first lens and me and some friends will want to start filming stuff with it.
Any advice on the choice?. Im thinking canon 24-105 for the price and IS, but 24-70 has better f/.
Can you really feel the difference made by IS on 24-105, or is it minimal and i should prefer the beter f/?

24-105 f4 is superb on the 5dm2 , I do find that 24-70mm f2.8 on 5d is just too narrow dof to be usefull for anything narative with actors - so Im in the f4 - 5.6 region on a 5d for narative stuff so the dof is useful ,

I would go for the 24-105mm its a great lens is is very very useful for hand held run and gun stuff

I have come to the conclusion that I`m lacking one lens in my small collection, - a real wide-angle. I have a G6 and my widest lens is the 14-42 kit-lens on which 14mm = 28mm FF.

As I have a LensTurbo Canon EF > MFT mount, I was thinking of a Samyang 12mm/Canon mount. If I get this right that combo should give me the options of shooting 24mm FF with a dumb Canon > MFT adapter and aprox 18mm FF with the LensTurbo.

Would this combo work well on a G6 ?

I might add that I don't want straight lines to be much distorted by the lens

#Inazuma: I have considered the Tokina, which seems to be a really nice lens too, but I very much like the size of the Samyang, which also has one more stop. The price tag on the Samyang is also significantly lower, - anyways where I live.

Has anyone here actually a hands on experience with the Samyang?

I almost forgot this.

I saw a review on Youtube on this adapter, which seemed to be very good except for the aperture blades that had odd shapes when stopped down. The reviewer noticed that very similar looking adapters are available at higher prices, but if they are any better he did know. 

I took the chance and ordered one of the more expensive ones, - £48.99 on ebay. This one turned out to have perfectly shaped aperture blades and my Canon mount lens fits very well. The only negative thing is a very tiny bit of backlash between the adapter and the camera, but that is easy to fix.

<script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f702decf/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"> </script>

From an optical point of view, is there a "best practice" regarding how to stack multiple filters?

More specifically, let's say I have 4 lenses having varying thread diameters (16-35, 24-70, 70-200 and a Macro).

In order to protect the front elements, I decide to buy a Clear UV filter for each lens.

Then, recognizing that I might also need a Variable ND and Polarizing Filter for each lens, but not wanting to buy 8 additional redundant filters, I decide to use Step-Up rings for each lens to "equalize" the lenses to a common larger thread size -- let's say to 72mm.

The question is:

Should the Clear UV filters be directly connected to each lens -- or should they be attached to the Step-Up filter of each lens? 

In other words, should the order be:

• Lens > Clear UV > Step-Up Ring >Variable ND or Polarizing

Or should it be:

• Lens > Step-Up Ring > Clear UV > Variable ND or Polarizing

And, if I were to consider buying some magnetic Xume Quick Release Adapters to allow for quicker ND/Polarizing lens changes, would that change the equation?

In other words, with Xume adapters, should the order be:

• Lens > Clear UV > Step-Up Ring > Xume Adapter > Variable ND or Polarizing

Or should it be:

• Lens > Step-Up Ring > Clear UV > Xume Adapter > Variable ND or Polarizing

Thanks in advance for any advice.

if you want to use a clear uv as a lens protector - you only need to have this on the lens when you are not using an ND filter or polorizer

So I personally would not include it at all in you filter stack as its just another piece of glass to cause flare and internal bounce reflections - this happens when you stack filters - less is more!!

if you want to use a clear uv as a lens protector - you only need to have this on the lens when you are not using an ND filter or polorizer

So I personally would not include it at all in you filter stack as its just another piece of glass to cause flare and internal bounce reflections - this happens when you stack filters - less is more!!

Thanks for your response.

So, I guess the next question would be:  

In terms of using step-up rings to standardize the thread sizes of all of my lenses, is there an optical difference (or disadvantage) to mounting a filter (Variable ND, Polarizer or UV) on a step-up ring -- as opposed to directly onto the lens? 

with an ND 2, 4, 8 and 16 you have every combination needed for shooting outside in bright daylight and keeping an f2.8 wide apperture

Today I was shooting a WW2 film with Warbirds and we shot f2.8 all day.... 2 cameras set up the same with N16 and ND8 stacked together on the front of the lens = ND24 ....give me the correct exposure... so dont be frightened to stack heavyily to get your narrow dof wide open exposure .

Also I dont ever use vari NDs I use Tiffen single NDs and stack them.

As I've decided on the 5d mk3 for shooting Raw does anyone here have any experience with the Canon 85mm 1.2 II USM?

From what I can see this is a DOF monster, creamy and good. Overkill? Whats the cheaper alternative? The 1.8 scores well and it's much cheaper.

Thanks.

IMO, if use with anamorphic lens, the smaller front diameter the better.  So never think of large aperture lens.