Jump to content

Lenses - Sticky Topic


Andrew Reid
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Super Members

That was a close one.

I walked in the shop and Satan himself was stood there with two Leica SLs at "oh hang on" prices so I had to get the Fuji quick and get out.

Anyhoo, what I mainly miss about England is the ready availability of secondhand lens bargains and of bacon and sausage sarnies so it seems entirely appropriate that the first picture I took with one should be of the other.

 

IMG_20170816_140144.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mercer said:

Thanks for the correction - this seems to be an issue of the U.S. versus the rest of the world. The Black Satin filter aren't available as screw-ons in Europe (or at least I haven't been able to find them yet).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, cantsin said:

Thanks for the correction - this seems to be an issue of the U.S. versus the rest of the world. The Black Satin filter aren't available as screw-ons in Europe (or at least I haven't been able to find them yet).

Yeah, we're pretty lazy across the pond. Without screw on filters, a lot of us probably wouldn't use any. 

Sadly, I am probably going to invest in that magnetic filter holder because screwing on a filter is quickly becoming a chore...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, mercer said:

Are you considering narrative work?

That's what I'd like to get into eventually. Just two to three minute shorts for YT, nothing outrageous. I'm really exhausted with street shooting.

Another reason I'm interested in the Veydras is that they have user swappable mounts, so I could use them on my Fuji (except for the 12mm and 16mm)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, jonpais said:

That's what I'd like to get into eventually. Just two to three minute shorts for YT, nothing outrageous. I'm really exhausted with street shooting.

Another reason I'm interested in the Veydras is that they have user swappable mounts, so I could use them on my Fuji (except for the 12mm and 16mm)

Grab a Veydra in your favorite focal length and write a 1-3 minute short, or adapt a public domain short story, with 1 or 2 actors.

I would use your street shooting skills as part of the production. 

If you want to go lightweight and handheld, I saw a cheap, rail-free, follow focus that could help with the Veydra's focus throw to keep a simple set up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cantsin said:

No, because they aren't available as screw-on filters and therefore out of reach for most people here.

Nah they definitely have been available for a while just super hard to find for some reason. I have 6 in 52mm and 58mm screw in threads and one 77mm. I have no clue why they are so hard to find

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Members
2 hours ago, cantsin said:

Thanks for the correction - this seems to be an issue of the U.S. versus the rest of the world. The Black Satin filter aren't available as screw-ons in Europe (or at least I haven't been able to find them yet).

I bought mine in Europe. UK retail found through ebay if I remember correctly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Believe some stores on Amazon had some ridiculous good deals... and they actually shipped out! Not sure if they still do, though. I have the Ultra Contrast 3 and Smoque 1, helps to add some atmosphere to the scene, I don't particularly like the blooming highlights or softness of other filters, though sometimes at nighttime that works quite well to soften up those hard contrast streetlights etc.

Checkout what each filter does over here:

There was also a whole topic on the Ultra Contrast here: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/7284-tiffen-ultra-low-contrast-filters/ .

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was planning on trying them out with the Veydras. I'll probably do what Mercer suggested, just purchase one lens first. I would have liked to pick up the 4X4 Tiffen, but its super crazy expensive, and I can't see getting more than three cinema lenses at most, so it looks like I'll be getting a screw on filter. All the Veydras have the same filter thread size, so I can just buy one for now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Adam Wilt & Noam Kroll are the authorities when it comes to Veydra.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/first-look-veydra-mini-primes-for-micro-four-thirds/http://www.dvinfo.net/article/acquisition/micro-43/quick-note-veydra-mini-primes-tested-kickstarter-ending-soon.htmlhttp://www.dvinfo.net/article/acquisition/micro-43/veydra-mini-primes-delivering-85mm-t2-2-available-for-pre-order.html & http://noamkroll.com/veydra-mft-cinema-lens-kit-review-rokinon-cine-lens-comparison/ . Pretty spot on stuff. Shane said he'd probably do a Part 4 (series: http://www.thehurlblog.com/?s=micro+lenses+part ) with the Veydras... but no joy.

I see a lot of people selling these off again. Would be interesting to find out why exactly. Maybe the image is just too well-behaved for some? To me it means: no surprises, predictability can be a good thing, especially if you're into more commercial shooting where you want your results to be consistent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I think Adam Wilt & Noam Kroll are the authorities when it comes to Veydra.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/first-look-veydra-mini-primes-for-micro-four-thirds/http://www.dvinfo.net/article/acquisition/micro-43/quick-note-veydra-mini-primes-tested-kickstarter-ending-soon.htmlhttp://www.dvinfo.net/article/acquisition/micro-43/veydra-mini-primes-delivering-85mm-t2-2-available-for-pre-order.html & http://noamkroll.com/veydra-mft-cinema-lens-kit-review-rokinon-cine-lens-comparison/ . Pretty spot on stuff. Shane said he'd probably do a Part 4 (series: http://www.thehurlblog.com/?s=micro+lenses+part ) with the Veydras... but no joy.

I see a lot of people selling these off again. Would be interesting to find out why exactly. Maybe the image is just too well-behaved for some? To me it means: no surprises, predictability can be a good thing, especially if you're into more commercial shooting where you want your results to be consistent.

Adam Wilt's tests and comments were well worth reading, thanks! Taken in combination with what I've seen, I'm pretty confident they're a solid set of true cine lenses. If all lenses performed as well as these do, lens reviewers would probably be out of a job!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I see a lot of people selling these off again. Would be interesting to find out why exactly. Maybe the image is just too well-behaved for some? To me it means: no surprises, predictability can be a good thing, especially if you're into more commercial shooting where you want your results to be consistent.

I think there's some drive towards investing in lenses that'll cover FF35 as well as S35 and DSLR/cinema cams as well as mirrorless: hence, FF lenses with longer flange distances. With the explosion in affordable cinema lenses that cover FF35 and come in both PL and EF mounts, the Veydras are falling by the wayside as a less versatile option.

That said, I love the little guys. If you're a mirrorless shooter who does narrative, they're one of the best options on the market.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

I think there's some drive towards investing in lenses that'll cover FF35 as well as S35 and DSLR/cinema cams as well as mirrorless: hence, FF lenses with longer flange distances. With the explosion in affordable cinema lenses that cover FF35 and come in both PL and EF mounts, the Veydras are falling by the wayside as a less versatile option.

That said, I love the little guys. If you're a mirrorless shooter who does narrative, they're one of the best options on the market.

Yeah, probably... although that was kinda clear from the bat that it was a system stuck set. Later offering conversion mounts for S35/APS-C was merely a fortunate thing to happen, not necessarily something initially intended. But I guess enough folks do eventually wonder over to large flange distance systems or fullframe ones to get more productionfriendliness. Guess my mindset is that I want a compact kit of camera & lenses, so I'm more excited to have a range of mirrorless 4K cameras you could use these on. Thinking about moving on for me would be a GH5 or E-M1 Mark II (until Sony/Fujifilm (where you'd still be able to use the Veydras on) learn a thing or two of them how to create a killer mirrorless body with e.g. vari-angle well-implemented touchscreen, proper audio interface, minimum rolling shutter, etc) rather than a Canon Cinema-range camera or FF Sony. C-AF of course being amongst the big selling points of those systems (so also users that don't actually like MF).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...