Lenses

Andrew Reid

I had a chance to hold the X-T20 in my hands this afternoon. It's a beautiful little camera, and from what we've seen, it shoots nice 4K as well. Price is right, too. But as we've already seen in a family video posted earlier in the forum, without some means of support (a monopod, tripod, gimbal, or shoulder mount), all that footage is going to have to be warp stabilized in post. So although one might think the X-T20 is ideal for the casual shooter, for video it's going to be a big headache when compared to say, the G80/85. i love my X-T2 to death, and the half dozen lenses I bought for it, too - they're insanely well-built - but it doesn't go anywhere because of the lack of IBIS (and for a number of other reasons, like the poor remote app that won't allow you to record 4K, the lack of zebras for checking exposure, etc.). Even on the Zhiyun Crane, without IBIS, it would help to add some stabilization in post. On the other hand, if I were doing narrative work, I'd consider the X-T2 for sure. A tripod, a monopod, a brushless gimbal, mounted on a shoulder mount, or even on a slider or a crane - it would be awesome. A final consideration is the XT-20's small footprint - if you want to use one of the marvelous f/2 lenses - the 23mm, 35mm or 50mm - it's all well and good, but the minute you start looking at any other lenses, it's unbalanced, and because the lens diameter is so large, now you're suddenly looking at trying to find solutions for mounting the camera, which isn't an insurmountable problem, but just one more thing to consider.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Yeah the grip on the xt20 and xt2 as well suck balls imo. Very unbalanced cameras.
Stabilization is no biggie for video imo. I refer to the same family video as you and say it showes that its not needed :) 
Different tastes and tolerance.

Im buying a XT20 for work hopefully next week. Im sure I can borrow it for some personal testing at home as well. 

@Mattias Burling Sorry, Mattias, but if you don't think IBIS is that big of a deal, how can you even give advice to someone who considers it crucially important? It's as though I were to recommend a stick shift automobile to someone, saying, just try it, you'll love it, when all along they've been telling me they prefer an automatic. 

Edit: I wasn't talking about the X-T2 being unbalanced, but since you mention it, it feels perfectly balanced to me with the vertical power booster, which is almost a necessity for video.

Edit II: for those who haven't seen the video I'm referring to, here's the link:

I used a monopod and/or tripod for years, so it isn't life or death, but for a casual video camera, for run and gun shooting, I wanted one of two things... either DPAF or IBIS. As of now, I've decided IBIS is more important. 

Also, as of now, I think the e-m5 Mark ii will be my choice going forward...

But...

From a financial standpoint, the Olympus after I add a lens or two, and the grip, will cost well over a thousand dollars. At that point, I wonder if it just makes more sense to save some extra money, over the next couple of months, and shell out the extra $5-700 for the GH5?

Idk, a question for the ages I guess... if you're a camera nerd like me.

Has anyone seen any videos with the GH5 and SLR Magic 17mm or Olympus 17mm? I guess if I go the e-m5 Mark ii route, I may as well get lenses I can use if I decide to upgrade in 6 months to a year. 

10 hours ago, mercer said:

Thanks Marty, I saw that video but he doesn't have any samples with the 16mm, so I was unsure if there is coverage. I letterbox everything anyway, so even some dark corners will usually work for my tastes. The Fujinon 12.5mm f/1.4 does indeed fully cover the 4K frame with the G7, GX85, so I assume it works with the GH4 and G85 as well, but I doubt it will with the GH5. With the GX85, due to the IBIS, you can see some sensor blackout, on the sides of the frame, if you pan too fast. Here's a link to the one I have...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/510474480/fujinon-f-14-125mm-tv-lens-i-c-mount-i?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-craft_supplies_and_tools-imaging_and_lighting-cameras_and_imaging-camera_lenses&utm_custom1=29a8702b-e63f-43dc-aa44-47a9f3db3b71&gclid=CjwKCAjw2NvLBRAjEiwAF98GMXVjH3DHuQwEYTIjDo7cgupybk7Kr4OowTVP_ZL5wlXs2wkBwNY7oxoC3ugQAvD_BwE

Hey Glenn, thank you for posting that link! That´s a lens I´ve been thinking about for quiete a while now. I just purchased a SLR Magic 12mm so I should be happy.

But still wanna try this lens out some day.

About the Tevidon 16mm check this out, cropping into m43 and still creeping into UHD a little bit at F1.8, perfect for BMPCC though:

http://lenscraze.blogspot.de/2015/05/tevidon-16-1-8.html

I have the Tevidon 16 but need to purchase an adapter for it some time, actually two adapters, one from tevidon to cmount plus a cmount adapter.

4 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Actually me and two friends thats won a couple of short film competitions together have wrote a black comedy thriller that takes place in that house during a dark Swedish winter. 

We where gonna shoot it two years ago but Gunpowder needed knee surgery at the time (she is in the movie of course). Last winter we just never got around to it.

Yes ive used the slr 17mm, on the bmpcc. Its nice but the Oly would cover me for stills as well.

That's very cool.  I hope you get to shoot that script. I mean you couldn't ask for a better location. 

14 minutes ago, mercer said:

That's very cool.  I hope you get to shoot that script. I mean you couldn't ask for a better location. 

That´s right. It´s going to be shot at the end of August. It´s gonna be a fun experience. This time with usable dialogue sound, though not in English:)

My bet for your camera would be: A6000 or G85 or EM10 II. Oly EM10 II has the 72mbps ALL Intra, has 3 axis IBIS, does not have Flat profile.

For the Oly 5 n 10 II, do they have mic input? All in all the Olys seem pricey, but your choice by heart. So, maybe Oly E M10 II could be it, if

audio and battery solution is nice.

EDIT: Hoppla, thought you meant my lil project, conceided me. But of course, hopin too that Mattias gets to shoot his film.

Sorry about the mistake at the beginning of my post. :)

11 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

That´s right. It´s going to be shot at the end of August. It´s gonna be a fun experience. This time with usable dialogue sound, though not in English:)

My bet for your camera would be: A6000 or G85 or EM10 II. Oly EM10 II has the 72mbps ALL Intra, has 3 axis IBIS, does not have Flat profile.

For the Oly 5 n 10 II, do they have mic input? All in all the Olys seem pricey, but your choice by heart. So, maybe Oly E M10 II could be it, if

audio and battery solution is nice.

EDIT: Hoppla, thought you meant my lil project, conceided me. But of course, hopin too that Mattias gets to shoot his film.

Sorry about the mistake at the beginning of my post. :)

No worries, I look forward to seeing your short as well, so it equally applies to you of course. 

Yes, the E-M5 Mark II has a microphone input and with the added grip, you get a headphone input as well. I actually briefly had the camera last month and really liked it, but I thought I wanted a 4K camera as a second cam, so I returned it. But after looking at my options and buying and trying another GX85, I decided I don't need 4K. As always though, once I start spending money, I begin to question if I should just spend more and get the better camera. Too many choices and none of them are perfect. 

@mercer i totally forgot about the sensor blackout during IBIS with these lenses that barely cover the sensor ! I guess these super 16 lenses would be better served on a BMPCC. Have you tried shooting with the Panasonic G80 ? Its a really good camera with adapted lenses. I hate the look of panasonic bodies with lumix lenses. Im actually going to sell my 20mm f1.7 pancake

Just now, kidzrevil said:

@mercer i totally forgot about the sensor blackout during IBIS with these lenses that barely cover the sensor ! I guess these super 16 lenses would be better served on a BMPCC. Have you tried shooting with the Panasonic G80 ? Its a really good camera with adapted lenses. I hate the look of panasonic bodies with lumix lenses. Im actually going to sell my 20mm f1.7 pancake

The blackout doesn't happen with anything 25mm or over on the GX85 or the G85. And even on smaller focal lengths, it only happens if you pan fast. 

I haven't tried the G85 but I had the G7 and the GX85, with adapted lenses. With the G85, once I got lenses or a speedbooster I'll be well over a grand... at that point I wonder if it's just better to save for a GH5.

I'm in the middle of shooting my film on the 5D3, so I'm in no rush. I found a good price on the e-m5 Mark ii so I'm considering it for a kick around camera. Or maybe I'll get a GH5 after the firmware update comes out, or if it goes on sale.

I don't see myself selling the 5D3 ever but I may sell my Canon lenses after I'm done this short and put that money towards a GH5 this fall and then use my vintage lenses with the 5D3 and the GH5. 

1 minute ago, PannySVHS said:

Great thing about s16 lenses is they would love the 1.4 crop mode of the GH5, which is still 4K and should give pixel perfect downscaled HD.

Makes the GH5 a nice stabilized s16 cinema camera, the GHMCC, GHMagicCinemaCamera:)

Whoa, why haven't I heard of this crop... Are you trying to spend my money for me, Marty?

Does the crop work in 4K 60p as well?

So it becomes a 3.4x crop? Man the Kern 10mm would be a wicked little lens.

19 minutes ago, mercer said:

Whoa, why haven't I heard of this crop... Are you trying to spend my money for me, Marty?

Does the crop work in 4K 60p as well?

So it becomes a 3.4x crop? Man the Kern 10mm would be a wicked little lens.

No, no, not spending your money my friend!:) It becomes a 2x1.4=2.8 crop like the one on the BMPCC.

If the Kern works well on the the BMPCC it would with the 4K 1.4 crop of the GH5. This mode is called 4K Extra Tele alias EX Tele mode.

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/03/28/gh5-extra-tele-conversion/

Keep your money in your pockets, under your pillow, how would I know where!:)

Btw, this little bad boy works nicely on the pocket. Looking pretty sharp to me:

13 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

No, no, not spending your money my friend!:) It becomes a 2x1.4=2.8 crop like the one on the BMPCC.

If the Kern works well on the the BMPCC it would with the 4K 1.4 crop of the GH5. This mode is called 4K Extra Tele alias EX Tele mode.

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/03/28/gh5-extra-tele-conversion/

Keep your money in your pockets, under your pillow, how would I know where!:)

Btw, this little bad boy works nicely on the pocket. Looking pretty sharp to me:

Right, a 2.8... Duh. That's even better actually. Pretty cool feature. 

That Azure lens has some funky flares. Real sharp too. If only the BMPCC had IBIS.

@PannySVHS @mercer

if i knew more about the zeiss tevidon glass & c mounts I wouldve invested in a full set instead of speedbooster xl & nikkor glass. Definitely relieved to here they'll work fine with ibis. The softness in the corners & spiral bokeh of s16 lenses on m43 reminds me of the optical traits that attracted me to the helios 44-2 on full frame

Hey Kidz! Just keep the different image circles in mind. Tevidons above 16mm should be fine, the 10 and 16mm are tricky for the G85, as I´ve been posting a few days

ago in this thread. Glenns Fujinon 12.5mm seems one of the nicest lens gems in C-mount. I am glad he shared his knowledge about it on this forum. For the Tevidons

I wouldnt pay more than 100 USD though, as some sellers really push the prices too much. I paid around 30USD for my Tevidon 16mm 1.8, which is still waiting for

an adapter. Tevidons need a special Tevidon to either cmount or m43 adapter.

On 7/25/2017 at 9:50 PM, mercer said:

Interesting. Do you know if the camera downscaled it like the GH4 does, or does the BM downscale it... not that it matters, just curious.

Just thought I'd get back with you on this... yes, the image is downscaled to 1080p in camera.