Lenses

Andrew Reid

Yes, yes, yaw. Thanks to Seb Farges and his awesome videos I got myself an awesome SLR Magic 12mm T1.6 now! Yeeehaw! 

@jonpais, now we can do a battle of the 12mills. Oly 12mm 2.0 anyone?:) I am so happy, my first native lens in two years.

My list now: classic 14-45mm, Panny 20mm 1.7, Oly 45 1.8 and soon in my hands SLR Magic. Magic! :)

On 20.7.2017 at 9:56 PM, jase said:

I finished watching all of his videos and followed him immediately. what a nice vibe. would love to achieve such a thing.

Nice vibe, really! One of the nice vibes masters is Seb Farges.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 minutes ago, mercer said:

Does anyone know how much the SLR Magic 17mm lens for the BMPCC will vignette on regular 2X crop M4/3 cameras? If not much, will a 2:35 letterbox cover the vignette?

I only read about the regular SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, a regular M43 lens, covering m43 sensor. Didnt know there was a special one for the BMPCC.

This is the lens I read about:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/02/03/review-slrmagic-17mm-t1-6-micro-four-thirds/

An interesting lens for shooting letterboxed 1:2.35 with the BMPCC is the Mir 11m:

28 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

I only read about the regular SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, a regular M43 lens, covering m43 sensor. Didnt know there was a special one for the BMPCC.

This is the lens I read about:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/02/03/review-slrmagic-17mm-t1-6-micro-four-thirds/

An interesting lens for shooting letterboxed 1:2.35 with the BMPCC is the Mir 11m:

I'm narrowing down my choices for a 2nd camera. Right now, it's between two cameras... e-m5 Mark ii or the A7ii. I have decided I definitely want some form of IBIS and I have really enjoyed the humble images coming from both of these cameras. The second cam will be used for casual, family videos and the occasional micro short film and these two cameras seem like capable underdogs and that intrigues me a lot.

So, although I already have too many lenses, I am thinking of different lens alternatives I've never considered. I've never owned an SLR Magic lens but I've seen some great stuff shot with them. 17mm on Micro 4/3 is a nice street shooter focal length, but BH has it listed for BMPCC and states it may not work with other Micro 4/3 cameras.

Last year I had the 25mm Voigtlander and it was one of the nicest lenses I've ever used, so I'd love to get the 17.5mm Voigtlander but I really cannot justify the $800 price tag.

Of course I tend to watch a lot of videos and muse over different cameras on Sunday afternoons, so my choices may change completely in a few days or weeks... or even a few hours. Lol. 

2 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Im sure someone already mentioned this but does anyone know of any super 16mm lenses that cover the entire m43 sensor ? Im interested in the zeiss tevidon

The 25mm Zeiss Tevidon should but you'll probably need to purchase a new mounting plate so the lens will fit in a c-mount adapter. They're readily available on eBay.

7 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Yes, yes, yaw. Thanks to Seb Farges and his awesome videos I got myself an awesome SLR Magic 12mm T1.6 now! Yeeehaw! 

@jonpais, now we can do a battle of the 12mills. Oly 12mm 2.0 anyone?:) I am so happy, my first native lens in two years.

My list now: classic 14-45mm, Panny 20mm 1.7, Oly 45 1.8 and soon in my hands SLR Magic. Magic! :)

Nice vibe, really! One of the nice vibes masters is Seb Farges.

I sold my Leica DG Summilux 12mm and ordered the SLR Magic, too. ?

8 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Im sure someone already mentioned this but does anyone know of any super 16mm lenses that cover the entire m43 sensor ? Im interested in the zeiss tevidon

I've always been interested in these: http://shop.zenit-foto.ru/view/category/virtuemart_category_id/59 (which are the more expensive: http://www.lumatech.tv/S16 mainpage.html ). Some listings on eBay still: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=optar+illumina&_sacat=0 (though, I'd probably get some Russian friends to buy me some there cheaper (37774 RUB ~> 635 USD) and bring 'em over). One eBay listing mentions: 'Will cover BMPCC Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera sensor and cameras like Digital Bolex, Aaton A-Minima, Red One, SI-2K, Ikonoskop A-Cam DII, Panasonic GH4! 50mm will cover Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5k! 50mm and 25mm will cover Panasonic GH4 in 4k mode and FHD mode without viegnetting! In FHD+2x extender mode 9.5mm--50mm lenses covers without viegnetting (havent tested 8mm)!'.

- One of these eBay sellers for the Optars, also has the Zeiss Tevidon 10mm f/2, mentions use for M4/3 mount cameras, doesn't really say anything in terms of image circle and vignetting. Might be able to inquire there though: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEVIDON-10mm-f-2-9748-Carl-Zeiss-Lens-micro-4-3-MFT-Mount-BMPCC-BlackMagic-GH3-/371811665283 .

-- used to be a thread on here for C-mounts compatibility with the BMPCC if that's of any interest: 

Hey @kidzrevil and you other kids!:)

I know we are all grownups, so no offense, but when it comes to lenses we are all kids:)

The 10mm Tevidon does not cover full m43 image circle. It covers s16 when cropped from top and down to 1:2.35 ration.

The 25mm covers even full m43 sensor though with only the slightest darkening of corners as this video shows:

Also, Tevidon seekers might wanna check out these two articles, giving a well rounded look into the odd characteristics of Tevidon lenses, at least when it comes to the 10mm and the 16mm. I own the 16mm but don´t have an adapter yet. Charateristics regarding uneven focussing plane, and soft wide shots are to considered when going for the 10 and 16mm Tevidons. And, don´t pay more than 150 USD please, better not more than 80! So here are the nice reads about Tevidon character for the 10 and 16 mills.

http://lenscraze.blogspot.de/2015/04/tevidon-10-2-c-mount.html

http://lenscraze.blogspot.de/2015/05/tevidon-16-1-8.html

On 23.7.2017 at 9:09 PM, mercer said:

I'm narrowing down my choices for a 2nd camera. Right now, it's between two cameras... e-m5 Mark ii or the A7ii. I have decided I definitely want some form of IBIS and I have really enjoyed the humble images coming from both of these cameras. The second cam will be used for casual, family videos and the occasional micro short film and these two cameras seem like capable underdogs and that intrigues me a lot.

Glenn, my vote would be E M5 II plus slr magic 17mm 1.6, if you can get the lens for around 300. Or the G85, which has nice colors too and classic Panasonic 1080p besides its obvious UHD mode. G85 might be the same price as the EM5II. So, unless you assume some better color magic, you might go for the G85. Though Oly color seems tempting. Panny IPB codec with 24mbps for 24p HD holds up pretty well too. A7 video looks gruesome:) Weak codec and aliasing nightmare. A7II might be interesting with its 50mbps codec, still not cheap though. Or maybe consider the A6000 instead of that, which can be found for 400USD and has a gotten an update for 50mbit codec. Check out Matt Kieleys A6000 birthday vid, not only a beautiful shortfilm but also showcase for A6000 colors and HD image.

On 7/23/2017 at 9:09 PM, mercer said:

8 hours ago, mercer said:

I was getting full coverage with a 12.5mm Fujinon on the G7 and GX85. 

That legendary "mercers 12.5mm Fujinon"! No need for me to hunt for it anymore, since I bought the SLRMagic 12mm. Or am I at the beginning of a 12mm GAS now?:)

I found different lenses of a Fujinon 12.5mm lens on ebay, some made in China, some in Bangladesh, looking pretty different from one another.

Could you post a link to the right version? I remember you wrote that optical quality is very good. Do you still have it? If so, I would definately support your

choice of a MFT camera as your second cam. :)

8 hours ago, mercer said:

Yes, I think the 25mm will. The 16mm may as well, but I can't say for certain. I know 1" c-mount will have more wide angle coverage. I was getting full coverage with a 12.5mm Fujinon on the G7 and GX85. 

This video gives a good idea regarding Tevidon lenses and their coverage of m43 image circle. The 25mm looking pretty good, the 16mm not fully covering: