Canon EOS R5C

Andrew Reid

12 hours ago, herein2020 said:

Holy **&t you are shooting Paris FW? Now I am seriously jealous, I shoot all of the big fashion shows here in FL with the biggest being Miami SW. I was invited to NYFW and Paris FW, but no one was willing to pay for my travel. For fashion shows I've got my kit down to a single Lowepro bag and a tripod....I shot Miami SW with the C70 and R5. This year I plan on trying just the C70 and R7.  In the bag I've got my mini XLR shotgun mic, Sennheiser wireless transmitter/receiver + lav mic, side handle for the C70, C70 in a cage, and R5 is just rigged with a shoulder strap for photography. I was able to shoot all of Miami SW, interviews, vendors, models, promo videos, etc. with just that setup.

As far as color grading VLOG goes, I think anything can seem like anything if you pixel peep, if you just get out and shoot and grade until the footage looks good to you and your customer that's all that really matters. When looked at from that viewpoint, VLOG was no worse for me than CLOG.

This year I plan on trying the R7 to see if I can add a bit of walking as well without a gimbal and to be able to switch between the R7 and C70 for video. The R7 will take over for handheld video and photography, C70 for interviews and the runway walks. I tried the monopod thing and couldn't make it work, monopods feel so limiting and still not as stable as a tripod or as dynamic as handheld, even without IBIS I would rather handheld over a monopod.

It does sound like the R3 checks a lot of boxes for you as well, you definitely cannot go from a fully rigged R5C to photography very easily. I don't get why the R5C is so bad on battery life; it doesn't have to power IBIS and its the same sensor as the R5. You could set it up like I did with the C70, where it slides easily into a nato rail V-mount battery setup for long form and slides off into a handheld setup for shorter shoots and gimbal work. That is also how my R7 is setup.

Below is a picture of my setup. The S5 is in the picture but the C70 and R7 both slide right into the same top tripod mount. I use the bottom tripod plate to mount the whole thing to a tripod. For fashion shows I setup the tripod and nato/v-mount (and to hold my spot in the pit), then slide off the camera and go shoot b-roll until the show starts. Of course you still would have that IBIS problem with the R5C and the slower AF......so there's no way around that if you go with the R5C

I know PFW sounds impressive but being based in Paris it’s really no big deal, its local work for me. It’s a big scene, I focus on a tiny part of it. Mostly doing BTS stuff and indie shows so no real pressure, I’m rarely even in the pit. Yet still, it’s definitely more intense than what I’m used to. These are situations when gear choices become key and sometimes less is more (a body or two vs three/four). 

Speaking of runway fashion, I remember you were complaining about the R5’s EVF lag making you miss some shots like during hair flips and what not. It seems you have sorted out those issues but that is one area where R3’s stacked sensor should give ultimate confidence with no lag, fast refresh rates, top AF and that eye-control AF sounds nuts. I just have a hunch R3 would actually be great for fast paced events. It’s another reason why I’m leaning towards it.  

Getting back to R5C and its poor battery life, its mostly due to the cine OS. All those assist features pump a whole lot of juice, I wish Canon would implement some kind of energy saving feature because it’s kind of a deal breaker. As gt3rs said, the battery grip is the most practical solution, so probably what I’d go for hybrid shoots. But losing IBIS is another big one. That’s two strikes against R5C as main body.

C70+R7 sounds like a solid combo. I’d love a C70, have been eyeing it since release. Love the DSLR type form factor. Like I said I was a C100/C200/C300 + EOS combo shooter for years, but shifted to Sony FS7 couple years ago, mainly for chunky 10-bit and because Sony is more of an industry standard for video. I rarely do everything in-house so have to play ball with editors, colorists etc. But now that Canon has finally given 10-bit and compressed RAW to its entry C cams, I might revert back. It kinda sucks being on dual systems even though it's been a good business strategy for me. 

• 1 month later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thought it worth mentioning that the R5C internal audio is imo the best internal audio I've ever used/heard from a mirrorless/DSLR cam. Maybe not as good as a C100/300 etc but I am so used to having to find a way to minimize the internal preamps with some kind of external recorder's that I was truly surprised when I realized I could just plug my G3 directly into the mic/line and get pretty good results.

To be clear, if you're buying an R5C - the days of also needing an external recorder and Sescom attentuation cables, etc, etc (at least for one/two person interviews), are over!

• Administrators
On 1/22/2023 at 11:51 PM, Django said:

The other alternative is Sony since I'm also invested in that lens ecosystem but the only options are FX3 which has no EVF so no good for my style of shooting and A7S3. 12MP stills, 4K max resolution and no internal RAW are too severe compromises though. Crazy because Sony is number one in the industry yet so behind tech wise in the mirrorless world..

What about the Sony a1?

It is definitely not behind mirrorless tech wise. Stacked sensor, 50MP, 8K, 10bit 422, and 4K/120p.

It blows the R5C away.

The AF is far better too.

15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

What about the Sony a1?

It is definitely not behind mirrorless tech wise. Stacked sensor, 50MP, 8K, 10bit 422, and 4K/120p.

It blows the R5C away.

The AF is far better too.

For the whopping asking price ( 7299€ !!!) it kind of is behind imo: No DCI options, no waveform, no LUT support, no pro / RAW internal codec etc. I'd much rather get an R5 for 3500€ now that the overheat is fixed.

Sony just refuses to give you these pro video features on an Alpha camera. They barely even give you them in the FX3/FX30. Still some very clear segmenting going on with them. 

1 hour ago, Django said:

For the whopping asking price ( 7299€ !!!) it kind of is behind imo: No DCI options, no waveform, no LUT support, no pro / RAW internal codec etc. I'd much rather get an R5 for 3500€ now that the overheat is fixed.

Sony just refuses to give you these pro video features on an Alpha camera. They barely even give you them in the FX3/FX30. Still some very clear segmenting going on with them. 

I also much prefer Canon babies to call it the least but "now that the overheat is fixed"??

5 hours ago, Django said:

Ah that...?

I guess Andrew is right when writes "Canon quietly removes fake overheating limits..."

In my homeland we're used to say the first impression stands, no matter what comes later. I think that's pretty accurate. Pity nobody told Canon about that ; )

4 hours ago, gt3rs said:

8k 60p DCI RAW vs 8k 30p 10bit not really a blowing away…

Plus S35 6k 60p RAW… and for 2100$ less than the A1.

For sure, unbeatable to my book :- )

On 3/18/2023 at 5:44 PM, Ty Harper said:

Thought it worth mentioning that the R5C internal audio is imo the best internal audio I've ever used/heard from a mirrorless/DSLR cam. Maybe not as good as a C100/300 etc but I am so used to having to find a way to minimize the internal preamps with some kind of external recorder's that I was truly surprised when I realized I could just plug my G3 directly into the mic/line and get pretty good results.

To be clear, if you're buying an R5C - the days of also needing an external recorder and Sescom attentuation cables, etc, etc (at least for one/two person interviews), are over!

Will also add that there's some discussion leading some owners to think the R5C might have an audio limiter built in to the internal chain - similar to what the C70 and other C-line cams have except with the R5C it doesn't seem like you can turn it on/off.

• 2 weeks later...

New firmware update. Kinda disappointing tho, smh

Firmware Version 1.0.3.1 incorporates the following enhancement:

Improves the image quality of Canon Log 3 when shooting in XF-AVC or MP4 formats.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/canon-product-advisories/Firmware-Notice-EOS-R5-C-Firmware-Version-1-0-3-1?utm_source=canon_community&utm_medium=announcements_box

Regarding IBIS I can confirm that with long lenses > 100mm (70-200, 100-500) the R5 sometimes jumps (kind of reset itself to the middle) and it is something that the R5c does not do.

I was filming in Alaska and the first day I opted for the R5 instead of the R5c due to the power consumption, in that environment I would not use and external battery, cables etc.. But I got a few shots ruined by IBIS so for day 2 I switched to the R5c and 6 batteries 😲 .

Is definitely a special use case mine where I do film a lot handheld at 300-500mm.... 

image.thumb.png.f55c613f92890714a5753562f396c077.png

image.thumb.png.0f7206eaa0df64dff22e3b3edb249d74.png

image.thumb.png.d83a0946791c03794205ea533252e585.png

image.thumb.png.f045fdfff7e47fd565f7bcd9230afae8.png

image.thumb.png.3fe1b3a942b51785474b22231242f79b.png

image.thumb.png.89c914b0eaea1e11ee95894a4e5dfb91.png

12 hours ago, Django said:

and yeah the power drainage situation is the number one deterrent on this otherwise mega capable true hybrid camera.

Just came back from a passion project shoot in South America. A mix of talking head interviews and capturing b-roll on most days. I had 6 batteries (4 oem and 2 off brand) - no grip - and the battery drain issue wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be. Of course we all have different workflows/needs etc. 

On 3/31/2023 at 11:25 AM, Django said:

amazing shots as usual! are those stills or frame grabs?

I would thing IBIS would be a huge benefit when shooting handheld at such focal lengths but I guess there are the odd hiccups which you can't afford to miss in your extreme shoots. 

Thanks!

All frame grabs, the only exception is the last one that is a photo from a timelapse sequence.

IBIS is known to be way less effective on long focal lens, not enough travel space so far back. The RF 100-500 is rated 5 stops IS and 6 stops when combined with IBIS and probably at 100mm, in practice I see zero difference other than the annoying reset that IBIS seems to be doing.

IBIS should be fully lockable and independent from lens IS, then we would have the best of both world.

Oh man, these are pretty much all the FW updates I had hoped for!

"Improvements to the EOS R5 C include support for the EF-EOS R 0.71x Mount Adapter, faster switching time between photo and video modes, a power saving mode, 2x magnification during 8K MP4 recording and a digital-teleconverter option, maximizing flexibility by providing a quick way to increase the telephoto capability of the lens used."

https://www.newsshooter.com/2023/04/02/canon-cinema-eos-firmware-updates/?fbclid=IwAR3gafIkHuTszqC19mYmhmtG9l7H3i8U2hXb_tAwIx7NVgjY-QYm_vt9TgQ&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

3 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

Oh man, these are pretty much all the FW updates I had hoped for!

"Improvements to the EOS R5 C include support for the EF-EOS R 0.71x Mount Adapter, faster switching time between photo and video modes, a power saving mode, 2x magnification during 8K MP4 recording and a digital-teleconverter option, maximizing flexibility by providing a quick way to increase the telephoto capability of the lens used."

https://www.newsshooter.com/2023/04/02/canon-cinema-eos-firmware-updates/?fbclid=IwAR3gafIkHuTszqC19mYmhmtG9l7H3i8U2hXb_tAwIx7NVgjY-QYm_vt9TgQ&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Cool, let's see how it turns out, really looking forward on the power saving mode.

I wish they would also add:
- Apply LUT on RAW playback. This seems so basic!
- AF face tracking in 4k 100/120 
- 8k 50/60 RAW with AF and IS with internal battery even if it last only 15min
- Move the waveform around as you wish.
- Program a button for deleting video in playback mode that requires a simple confirmation and not 300 button press...