Canon EOS R5C

Andrew Reid

Here's a more comprehensive list of the R5C updates via Barry Griffin's IG: https://www.instagram.com/barry_canonproimaging/

EOS R5 C Firmware Update:

Flex Zoom & CN8x15 IAS Lens support

Mount Adapter EF-EOS R 0.71x support (same lens support as EOS C70)

RF-S Lens support (RF-S 18-45mm, RF-S 18-150mm, RF-S 55-210mm)

EOS R5 Catchup update (adds features from R5’s July, Nov & March FW release)

Dual Fisheye: Enables Left/Right switching for VR recording

Improved Video/Photo mode switching

Adds Power Saving Mode

Enhanced Clear Scan resolution (improves compatibility with LED walls).

Adds Digital-Teleconverter function (adds 1.5x / 2x / 2.5x / 3x magnification)

Option to change WFM & Vectors cope size and transparency

Adds Canon 709 / BT.709 / CMT 709 (same as previous CEOS FW update)

Adds ‘G Gain’ White Balance option in Custom Picture settings

Adds subject selection via Lens Control Ring as an assignable function

===

Additionally Youtuber Yusuke Osawa just released an interview he did with a Canon rep about the announced FW updates. Might be worth checking out for some: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uquTpEvgCRg

Thanks to user 'sugoroku' over at DVXuser for translating some key things not mentioned by NewsShooter or Barry Griffin. Specifically the following (take everything with a grain of salt obviously!):

"1) Extended battery life. It only works with XF-AVC and not for RAW recording but should extend battery life up to 30% longer.

2) Two autofocus improvements. One being detecting human head more precisely especially when facing backwards and the other being focus tracking box changing its size and shape depending on the tracking subject. (around 15min. mark on the video link below)"

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

Additionally Youtuber Yusuke Osawa just released an interview he did with a Canon rep about the announced FW updates. Might be worth checking out for some: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uquTpEvgCRg

Thanks to user 'sugoroku' over at DVXuser for translating some key things not mentioned by NewsShooter or Barry Griffin. Specifically the following (take everything with a grain of salt obviously!):

"1) Extended battery life. It only works with XF-AVC and not for RAW recording but should extend battery life up to 30% longer.

2) Two autofocus improvements. One being detecting human head more precisely especially when facing backwards and the other being focus tracking box changing its size and shape depending on the tracking subject. (around 15min. mark on the video link below)"

I just watched the Japanese interview with auto-translation and what the rep says is 30% increased battery life in 4K60p (there is even a little text insert in the bottom right that confirms it at 20:14). I don't see no mention of it being only for XF-AVC but that might have been lost in translation so I trust its correct.

From my understandings, XF-AVC is where the R5C battery drainage is the worst so makes sense that they managed to fix that.

I wonder what the increase is for regular 4K24/25/30p. 30% or more?

They explain the fan is the main culprit of the power drainage so this low power mode may turn it down or something.

This is quite the game changer as with a grip and 2 batteries that's 60% battery gain which should make it quite decent right?

The photo/video switch time improvement is also good news. 

Man, I had ruled this camera out but might be warming up to it again!

Kudos to Canon for such a solid update. They've been on a roll with them lately.

I wish (hope) that the power saving would be also in place when the camera is not recording as this is a real battery drain, going to "media play" solves the issue but if you forget to do it you loose a lot of battery for nothing.

Photo/video switch speed is for sure good, the waveform for me is a big improvement as this small thing is hard to read, and I'm very curios to test the AF improvements especially with helmets being a normal situation in my subjects.

Overall I'm happy that they try to improve the camera.

From that announcement it look like they have quite a few feature updates planned for R5C, this is just the beginning!

Will Canon pull ahead vs other brand in terms of firmware update this year as they have released all the mirrorless camera they want to release this year, all that left is using firmware update to expand the feature even more.

Screenshot_20230404-222049_Chrome.jpg

39 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

From that announcement it look like they have quite a few feature updates planned for R5C, this is just the beginning!

Will Canon pull ahead vs other brand in terms of firmware update this year as they have released all the mirrorless camera they want to release this year, all that left is using firmware update to expand the feature even more.

Screenshot_20230404-222049_Chrome.jpg

Great, so there is still hope for LUT on RAW playback!

53 minutes ago, Django said:

Ah.. I see in the fine print of "Power Saving Mode" the restrictions (RAW, 8K mp4, XF-AVC Intra etc). 

So what does that leave you with? up to 4K60p mp4 & 8K XF-AVC Long GOP ?

As I read is "XF-AVC Intra Slow and Fast" not normal fps, my bet is any XF-AVC (24,25,50 and 60) will have the power saving. 
Unfortunately there is no 8k XF-AVC on the R5c, is either RAW or MP4.

• 2 months later...

https://asia.canon/en/support/EOS R5 C/model

Firmware Version 1.0.4.1 incorporates the following enhancements:
1. The following features are enabled when the following lenses are attached: CN-E14-35mm T1.7 L S, CN-E20-50mm T2.4 L F, CN-E45-135mm T2.4 L F, CN8x15 IAS S/E1,:
- Displaying metadata, such as the model name and the focal distance of the lens attached.
- Displaying T number.
- Support for Peripheral Illumination Correction and Chromatic Lens Aberration Correction.
- Support for Dual Pixel CMOS AF autofocus(CN8x15 IAS S/E1 only)
- Support for [Dual Pixel Focus Guide]. 
2. The following features are enabled when the following lenses are attached: RF-S18-45mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM, RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM:
- Adds a menu to switch lens functions. (Focus Ring, Control Ring, Lens Optical Image Stabilization)
3. Adds EF lenses compatible with EF-EOS R 0.71x Mount Adapter.
CN-E14mm T3.1 L F
CN-E20mm T1.5 L F
CN-E24mm T1.5 L F
CN-E35mm T1.5 L F
CN-E50mm T1.3 L F
CN-E85mm T1.3 L F
CN-E135mm T2.2 L F
EF14mm f/2.8L II USM
EF24mm f/1.4L II USM
EF35mm f/1.4L II USM
EF50mm f/1.2L USM
EF85mm f/1.2L II USM
EF135mm f/2L USM
4. Enables left/right switching with one touch when using Magnify. (When recording 8K RAW with VR lens attached.)
5. Enables magnify during 8K MP4 recording. (Not available when HDMI 4K is output.)
6. Improves switching time between Video/Photo mode. 
7. Adds Power Saving Mode.
8. Enhances Clear Scan resolution.
9. Adds Digital-Teleconverter function. (1.5x /2x /2.5x /3x)
10. Enables to change WFM size.
11. Enables to change Vector scope gain by touch.
12. Enables to change WFM/Vector scope opacity.
13. Improves AF performance.
- Enables tracking frame to change variably depending on subject.
- Enables to detect heads facing sideways or backwards, or in situations such as when wearing a helmet.
- Enables to select Face via control ring/dial. 
14. Adds [Subject Selection] assignable function via control ring/dial.
15. Adds [Canon 709 / BT.709] to the Gamma/Color Space in Custom Picture setting.
16. Adds [CMT 709] in Proxy Rec Color Conversion.
17. Adds [CMT 709] in View Assist.
18. Adds [G Gain] in White Balance in Custom Picture settings.
19. Adds support for 4CH display in audio meter.

Caution:
- Please use an SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card that is 512MB or greater to perform the firmware update.
- Firmware version 1.0.4.1 is for updating EOS R5 C cameras running firmware version 1.0.0.1 - 1.0.3.1. If your camera's firmware is already version 1.0.4.1, it is not necessary to update the firmware. Once the camera is updated to the latest version, it cannot be restored to a previous version.
- Please refrain from loading menu settings generated using the most recent firmware version to a product running an old firmware version, as doing so may affect camera operations.
- Firmware update must be performed in VIDEO mode.

Preparations for a firmware update:
- After the firmware update has been performed, the camera's menu settings will be reset. It is recommended that, prior to starting update operations, users save their menu settings as settings data to an SD card, separate from the one that will be used to carry out the update. This saved data can be loaded into the camera and the settings can be changed after the update has been completed. For further information on this, please refer to the section in the unit's Instruction Manual titled "Saving and Loading Camera Settings."
- The downloaded folder contains the firmware (file name: VSD8.FIM / file size: 90,203,000 byte), and instructions on the firmware update procedures (a PDF file in five languages: Japanese, English, French, Spanish and Simplified Chinese). Prior to starting the firmware update operations, please be sure to carefully review and confirm your understanding of these instructions.

Regarding the Software Included in this Firmware:
The software included in this firmware is comprised of software modules developed by both Canon and third parties.

Display of License Information of Free Software Modules Included in this Firmware:
The license information required to be displayed for the free software modules included with this firmware is saved in the download file. To check the free software module licenses, please refer to the "EOS R5C OSS info.pdf".

The following items are required to perform this firmware update:
1. Camera Body EOS R5 C
2. A computer (OS requirements: macOS 13, macOS 12, macOS 11, 10.15 - 10.14)
3. SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card with a capacity of 512MB or more (commercially available)
4. An SD card reader/writer (commercially available) or an SD card slot built into the computer
5. A fully charged battery pack for the camera, or a dedicated AC adapter kit (optional) 
6. The firmware (the downloaded file)

On 4/4/2023 at 4:21 AM, Django said:

I wonder what the increase is for regular 4K24/25/30p. 30% or more?

I can confirm that with a fully charged single oem LP-E6NH battery I got a little over 80 minutes at 4K 422 10bit 24p XF-AVC (Clog3). Before the update I was getting a little over 60 mins fully charged. 

Also getting double that with the grip.

Words can't express how f*ckin' happy I am right now thanks to this one practical update - and I haven't even started to play around with the other stuff!

I tested quite extensively over the weekend, let’s start with the good:

“Enables to detect heads facing sideways or backwards, or in situations such as when wearing a helmet”
This one is not perfect but really good and for the type of filming that I do it makes a difference, first it does not lose the head when moving away but more important it works with helmets. These in the past I would have to stop down to 5.6 to keep the face in focus, now with the face tracking with helmet I can shoot at 2.8.

Screen grab, this one was almost impossible before as the focus would have been on the horse head instead of her.
564034219_framgrabs_1.1.1.thumb.jpg.2f1061a6ba4cb05bbbc64e2703870bf4.jpg

1396553479_framgrabs_1.2.2.thumb.jpg.a71a445d4263659bbefbc32829b002ca.jpg

this one before it would have simply lose the focus 
249603877_framgrabs_1.1.3.thumb.jpg.6e43290554f85f436440cf009315aa24.jpg

“Improves switching time between Video/Photo mode”
This one is much faster now, was not a big issue for me but now it should not be an issue for most people.

“Enables to change WFM size” and “Enables to change WFM/Vector scope opacity”.
This is very practical, especially on the tiny screen. Just tap the WFM and it becomes bigger, tap it again goes smaller.

Now the not so good:

Face/Helmet does not work on S&F mode so no 100/120 fps face tracking…. R5 can…

“Adds Power Saving Mode” this comes with some limitations so only 4k XAVC, but works 24 to 60fps…. and indeed it extends quite a bit the battery.
So seems all good but the implementation is a bit cumbersome as you can turn it on only when all settings matches and if you want to let say go to S&F mode 120 you cannot you need first to disable it…. T
his camera needs absolutely customs shooting modes it would make all of this so easier to go from 8K RAW 24, to XAVC save mode 24 to then XAV S&F 120 and so on…. You need to change many menu items that is insane….

For example, for this scene I wanted to quickly change to 120fps for a few seconds and then back to 24 and with power saving you cannot do it quickly....
hors_1.1.1.thumb.jpg.4b8b26f48ce56ad7450ac976dda7174e.jpg

Overall not much to complain Canon added quite a few of very useful features.
I hope they will further improve the camera. My wishes for the next one are customs shooting modes and face tracking in S&F 120, even better if you could select the area of the frame where face tracking is active similar to the R3.

• 2 weeks later...

Great analysis of the power saving mode from Points In Focus (has done some great tests/commentary of the R5/R5c over the last couple years - def worth checking out!). He got a 40% increase in battery life in 4K 60p - which tracks with the numbers I'm getting at 4K 24p XF-AVC.

11 hours ago, lucian123 said:

what happened to the firmware update..1.0.4.0 or 1.0.4.1 ...the latest on the canon website is 1.0.3.1....did it have a bug or something?

Is pulled as there is a bug in photo mode, if you use custom modes c1 c2 etc camera think to be in pixel shift mode and creates huge jpgs. I expect that is a quick fix.

12 hours ago, lucian123 said:

what happened to the firmware update..1.0.4.0 or 1.0.4.1 ...the latest on the canon website is 1.0.3.1....did it have a bug or something?

Yes, an updated version is supposed to be made available Friday June 30th.