Canon EOS R5C

Andrew Reid

noob question: can i quickly save and load video settings (like c1 c2 c3 for video) is there such a thing ?

for example if i want to shoot super 35, 4k uhd, slow 120 fps, 90 shutter angle, mp4 422 10 bit, clog 3 with noise reduction and then i want to switch to full frame, 8k, raw lt, 60 fps, 180 shutter angle, whthout having to change all of those settings one by one is there such a option to do it faster like in photo mode c1 c2 c3 ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
53 minutes ago, lucian123 said:

noob question: can i quickly save and load video settings (like c1 c2 c3 for video) is there such a thing ?

for example if i want to shoot super 35, 4k uhd, slow 120 fps, 90 shutter angle, mp4 422 10 bit, clog 3 with noise reduction and then i want to switch to full frame, 8k, raw lt, 60 fps, 180 shutter angle, whthout having to change all of those settings one by one is there such a option to do it faster like in photo mode c1 c2 c3 ?

A big nope and this together with the battery is the biggest complain that I have with this great camera. You can also only save ONE settings file to the SD so you cannot use that neither... why o why not being able to give at least a name... 

I switch a lot from 8K 50 RAW to 4k S&F 120 XFAVC and is a pain.... on the R5 I have two C mode one for 8K 25 and one for 4k 120 much more practical

Holy Cripple Hammer.

I was reading just the other day what a superb hybrid this is.

Lumix has 5 custom slots and you can set them to always revert to your custom, or keep whatever last tweak you might have made to any one of the 5 custom settings.

4 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Holy Cripple Hammer.

I was reading just the other day what a superb hybrid this is.

Lumix has 5 custom slots and you can set them to always revert to your custom, or keep whatever last tweak you might have made to any one of the 5 custom settings.

Is not a cripple hammer is a big oversight as afaik no C camera has this not even the C500…

On 6/30/2023 at 9:48 AM, gt3rs said:

A big nope and this together with the battery is the biggest complain that I have with this great camera

The battery issue is a thing of the past imo. Now it's pretty much on par with any Canon DSLR - and this is what I'm getting with 2 oem LPE6NH batteries in the oem grip.IMG_4164.thumb.jpeg.01e54c51fb519af3022bc826e4216145.jpeg

16 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

The battery issue is a thing of the past imo. Now it's pretty much on par with any Canon DSLR - and this is what I'm getting with 2 oem LPE6NH batteries in the oem grip.IMG_4164.thumb.jpeg.01e54c51fb519af3022bc826e4216145.jpeg

As I shot 90% RAW (25,50) and 10% xfavc 4k 120 ….it is still THE issue for me, no 8k 50 with grip and forced to use the usb port. A dummy dtap battery with the right voltage or a new grip would solve the isse but nobody offere these…. I don’t mind using a small vmount battery but the usb port is a real pita….

No multi custom settings is wild on a hybrid although not uncommon on most cine cams which the R5C video OS is based upon. 

Great that battery life was finally addressed and seems to be adequate.. for XFAVC at least!

At this point I wonder if a Z8 is not a better solution for 45MP / 8K60p RAW hybrid?

You loose some of the nice video assist tools and LUT support but gain a stacked sensor, ProRes options, custom settings and long battery life. 

On 7/3/2023 at 1:37 PM, Django said:

No multi custom settings is wild on a hybrid although not uncommon on most cine cams which the R5C video OS is based upon. 

Great that battery life was finally addressed and seems to be adequate.. for XFAVC at least!

At this point I wonder if a Z8 is not a better solution for 45MP / 8K60p RAW hybrid?

You loose some of the nice video assist tools and LUT support but gain a stacked sensor, ProRes options, custom settings and long battery life. 

Currently I would say yes Z8 is probably the best hybrid in the market but for sure but not gonna switch to Nikon and then switch to Sony and then back to Cannon 🙂 
Imo the more rational path is you invest in either Sony or Canon ecosystem and stick with it, some years you will have the "best" camera and some years not but you save a lot of money in not switching back and forth and you develop a lot of automatisms too.

Nikon has some really cool unique lenses and Z9 and Z8 at the moment are the best in class imo, but there is no cinema ecosystem and not yet good budget friendly hybrid cameras... so at the moment if you want to grow or downsize is more tricky than Sony or Canon. Canon has the advantage to share the mount with RED and a no brainer EF support, Sony is much more open to third parties lenses. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 2:10 PM, gt3rs said:

Currently I would say yes Z8 is probably the best hybrid in the market but for sure but not gonna switch to Nikon and then switch to Sony and then back to Cannon 🙂 
Imo the more rational path is you invest in either Sony or Canon ecosystem and stick with it, some years you will have the "best" camera and some years not but you save a lot of money in not switching back and forth and you develop a lot of automatisms too.

Nikon has some really cool unique lenses and Z9 and Z8 at the moment are the best in class imo, but there is no cinema ecosystem and not yet good budget friendly hybrid cameras... so at the moment if you want to grow or downsize is more tricky than Sony or Canon. Canon has the advantage to share the mount with RED and a no brainer EF support, Sony is much more open to third parties lenses. 

So I've now tested out the Z8 and like I said in that thread, I got mixed feelings about it. I love the body size, build quality, LCD hinge system.. but I hate the UI, menus, layout. N-Log is a can of worms with currently horrible rec709 LUTs that kill DR and boost saturation. Camera has weird quirks like no IBIS when adapting certain lenses and other options that get greyed out depending on settings. The AF is a little sluggish. Etc. I guess to me its a great camera on paper but not really for me in actual use (I've found that to often be the case with Nikon cams).

So for the moment I've written it off and am back on Canon/Sony bandwagon. I recently did a hybrid shoot with an R5 with latest OS and actually really enjoyed the shooting experience & the files. Camera felt super snappy, didn't skip a beat. Decent battery life & didn't run into any overheat issues. The downsides are the camera feels a little cheap, 30mn video limit sucks for long form content, no exposure tools, no magnification during recording, 8K h26x is hard to edit on an M1.

R5C has all those video options plus 8K50p, LUT support etc. So the camera is back on my list. The battery life now being a non-issue in XFAVC is a huge plus for me so I guess the only real downside is lack of IBIS. That's kind of a big one. That said I did my entire hybrid shoot with the RF 24-70mm F2.8 which I thought was quite a phenomenal lens and it has IS. This RF lens was quite an eye opener, and I might just retire my EF lens collection and start investing in RF. So my question is, would the R5C + RF 24-70mm be usable for handheld video? Would I be missing the R5's IBIS much? I really just don't want micro-jitters and hate using post stabilisation. 

Another Canon option is the R3. I've played around with it quickly and the ergonomics are just perfect. The video IQ is superb but the stills are "only" 24MP and I really love the 45MP files from the R5/R5C. Just feels weird paying more for less, even though the stacked sensor does bring other benefits. I guess an R3+R5C would be my dream combo, maybe I should start saving for them!

28 minutes ago, Django said:

The downsides are the camera feels a little cheap, 30mn video limit sucks for long form content, no exposure tools, no magnification during recording, 8K h26x is hard to edit on an M1.

I picked one up recently and really hope they drop the 30 minutes limit in the next FW update. As for exposure tools there are Zebras which I found to be pretty useful in run n gun situations!

30 minutes ago, Ty Harper said:

I picked one up recently and really hope they drop the 30 minutes limit in the next FW update. As for exposure tools there are Zebras which I found to be pretty useful in run n gun situations!

Yeah I meant proper exposure tools like on R5C. 

By the way to those that own both is R5C more rugged build quality than R5? Like FX3 vs A7S3?

Or is it really the same body, screen etc as R5 with just an added fan?

2 hours ago, Django said:

So I've now tested out the Z8 and like I said in that thread, I got mixed feelings about it. I love the body size, build quality, LCD hinge system.. but I hate the UI, menus, layout. N-Log is a can of worms with currently horrible rec709 LUTs that kill DR and boost saturation. Camera has weird quirks like no IBIS when adapting certain lenses and other options that get greyed out depending on settings. The AF is a little sluggish. Etc. I guess to me its a great camera on paper but not really for me in actual use (I've found that to often be the case with Nikon cams).

I appreciate your posts, I really do but sometimes I wonder if I'll ever read anything from certain posters here or elsewhere to not complain about this or that.

- EAG :- )

4 hours ago, Django said:

Another Canon option is the R3. I've played around with it quickly and the ergonomics are just perfect. The video IQ is superb but the stills are "only" 24MP and I really love the 45MP files from the R5/R5C. Just feels weird paying more for less, even though the stacked sensor does bring other benefits.

Well from the perspective of someone who has never held one, or even an R5, for my needs, it is my current number one pick for a camera.

Body.

It’s the lens options where it loses out for me with what is offered by Nikon in Z Mount, but more importantly, what is coming or can be seamlessly adapted from Tamron.

I’d go as far and say that if Tamron were available in, or could be adapted to Canon RF, it would be a done deal and I would switch without giving it any further thought.

Re. 45mp, I went back to 24mp earlier this year from my previous S1R 47mp to S1H 24mp and honestly do not miss it or perhaps more importantly, notice any difference.

The only reason today I would be interested in something like 45 or 60mp, would be so I could shoot my latest acquisition, a Leica 24-90mm and ditch the 70-200 and just crop from 45/60mp 90mm files instead.

I presume the R5c has digital stab? That combined with OIS?

17 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I appreciate your posts, I really do but sometimes I wonder if I'll ever read anything from certain posters here or elsewhere to not complain about this or that.

- EAG :- )

Just sharing my likes/dislikes about the Z8. No camera is perfect and I may very well warm up to it with more time spent with it, so take my comments with a grain of salt. Its definitely a very high-spec tool at an aggressive price point. Again I love the body size, the stacked sensor, the high-resolution, and the codecs. Camera just seems to have some quirks both in operation and output.

23 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Well from the perspective of someone who has never held one, or even an R5, for my needs, it is my current number one pick for a camera.

Body.

It’s the lens options where it loses out for me with what is offered by Nikon in Z Mount, but more importantly, what is coming or can be seamlessly adapted from Tamron.

I’d go as far and say that if Tamron were available in, or could be adapted to Canon RF, it would be a done deal and I would switch without giving it any further thought.

Re. 45mp, I went back to 24mp earlier this year from my previous S1R 47mp to S1H 24mp and honestly do not miss it or perhaps more importantly, notice any difference.

The only reason today I would be interested in something like 45 or 60mp, would be so I could shoot my latest acquisition, a Leica 24-90mm and ditch the 70-200 and just crop from 45/60mp 90mm files instead.

I presume the R5c has digital stab? That combined with OIS?

Yeah RF isn't a good solution for third-party lenses. But the native ones are really top level albeit pricey and you can adapt certain lens systems to RF.

45mp is obviously great for substantial cropping. Didn't realise how useful it was until I started messing around with +45mp files. Now I can't get enough it..

And yes R5C has DIS that you can combine with OIS. Found this video about it:

Yeah I meant proper exposure tools like on R5C. 

By the way to those that own both is R5C more rugged build quality than R5? Like FX3 vs A7S3?

Or is it really the same body, screen etc as R5 with just an added fan?

100% the same other than the fan and the TC port. Never had any issue so far with both R5 and R5c.

I much prefer the R5(c) size than R3 or 1Dx series that i used to own. Not sure I will go back to a 1 series size… but you never know.

And yes R5C has DIS that you can combine with OIS. Found this video about it:

What a strange result - the Digital IS looks like it hasn't applied any stabilisation at all!  I'd almost be looking to see what results other people have found - maybe that guy had a bad unit or screwed up somehow.  

I'm not really a fan of Digital IS, but it's better than that surely...?

1 hour ago, kye said:

What a strange result - the Digital IS looks like it hasn't applied any stabilisation at all!

As he mentions at around the 50sec mark, the Digital IS shines at around 35mm and gives good tripod like shots when hand held, and that's it. In my experience with the R5C and R5, I think IBIS, DIS, etc are really only good for that - and that alone. For everything else you need a gimbal, simple and plain. So in that sense, imo, I don't think the R5's IBIS is a feature that gives it much of an advantage over the R5C's DIS as they both can give you good handheld static shots. If I had fully understood this I probably would've saved up for another used R5C instead of buying the R5.