Jump to content

Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have two propositions for their new logo.. 😎  

I suspect that in the entire history of cameras, there has never been as much hype, followed by pre-orders, followed by hysteria, followed by cancelled pre-orders...before a camera has actually gone o

DEALBREAKER ALERT. A 15000$ 2020 MAC PRO cannot play back in real time the R5 footage. Does not matter Premiere Pro Resolve, FCPX. Nothing works even 4K30p won’t play in a high end 2020 MacbookPro. 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

You must have comprehension issues.

You're the one with comprehension issues - in the video above he was forced to state what settings he used in the comments below. I quote him:

"4K HQ, 23.98p, IBIS on, AF ON, ALL-I (even though that doesn't matter in this case)."

He also says in the video using an external recorder 'solves' 4K on the R5. This is an outright lie - he hasn't tested it at the higher frame rates. You can't trust a word he says if he's prepared to lie like this. 

Look at the pretty much universal praise for Gerald's video. I know who I trust rather than this liar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Heres another guy claiming he ran externally (Blackmagic Video Assist) without card in camera until batteries died @ 2 hours.

So this seems to be related to having the card in camera.

 

 

Could it be firmware (intentional cripple?)? As if the card is inside but it is recording externally surely there shouldn't be any difference to when the card is removed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Heres another guy claiming he ran externally (Blackmagic Video Assist) without card in camera until batteries died @ 2 hours.

So this seems to be related to having the card in camera.

 

Need to see outdoor shooting in the sun to properly evaluate.  Of course, it makes the micro HDMI port an even bigger fail for this camera than it was before.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nezza said:

You're the one with comprehension issues - in the video above he was forced to state what settings he used in the comments below. I quote him:

"4K HQ, 23.98p, IBIS on, AF ON, ALL-I (even though that doesn't matter in this case)."

He also says in the video using an external recorder 'solves' 4K on the R5. This is an outright lie - he hasn't tested it at the higher frame rates. You can't trust a word he says if he's prepared to lie like this. 

Look at the pretty much universal praise for Gerald's video. I know who I trust rather than this liar.

That's funny cause Gerald approved of this video and has been conversing with him on twitter to do more tests lol.

You sure make it very difficult for yourself on here.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really strange that with the card inside the camera and without writing into it build up heat. 

Gerald's external recording get longer times the internal  with the card inside the camera. So, don't believe it's na software limitation/cripple from Canon.

The only explanation I have is that the card itself is absorbing the heat from the the other parts of the camera.

But wen the card is writing it helps to build up more heat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, luizhmgoncalves said:

The only explanation I have is that the card itself is absorbing the heat from the the other parts of the camera.

I've seen elsewhere users state CF cards just get warm from having them in a camera that's on, not even writing to them.

Canon sell this very heavily as a hybrid, seamlessly switching between modes. The idea when you want to switch between stills / video you have to change out cards and attach an external recorder makes a mockery of that claim. As others have said, also puts more pressure on micro HDMI port, constant switching in and out. The design is poor. Period.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Blackmagic Video Assist 12G is very intriguing.

1) greatly mitigates or resolves overheating

2) cheap SSD and external media recording

3) XLR inputs and quality audio recording

4) professional monitor

5) potential BRAW support (currently supports C300ii and Panasonic EVA1)


The rumors about Canon considering BRAW would make a lot of sense here. I'd take this over the Atomos Ninja.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

One solution a company like Tilta can come up with is:

A Cfexpress card adapter that has metal parts coming out of the camera in some kind of heatsink. It can have the shape of a battery grip. Inside it you can plug an Nvme type of storage (since cfexpress is based in PCI Express 3) and batteries. 

You have to remove the card door or the grip can have some kind of door holder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

So the heat is all generated in the card bay?

I'd give it about an hour before Tilta have this ready for pre-order then.Tilta.thumb.jpg.79d64882ff7809471e6c8f15eb892f6e.jpg

 

Stop man to make my day with a good laugh! : ) I know you're so fanboy of them like I am! LOL ; )

Even because in the day they'll sort it out I'll have to spend a few grand on theirs... : X

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, independent said:

The Blackmagic Video Assist 12G is very intriguing.

1) greatly mitigates or resolves overheating

2) cheap SSD and external media recording

3) XLR inputs and quality audio recording

4) professional monitor

5) potential BRAW support (currently supports C300ii and Panasonic EVA1)


The rumors about Canon considering BRAW would make a lot of sense here. I'd take this over the Atomos Ninja.

 

 


Blackmagic is a great brand indeed, just not idea if they can compete with Atomos' HDR... :- )

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

Finally the type of test that everyone should be talking about, but nobody bothered doing!

Richard Butler:

"In just under two hours I shot 164 images, all in CRAW, some as parts of short bursts. I then switched to video mode to capture some 4K HQ footage and was confronted by 04:00 minute limit, despite plenty of card capacity.

The overheat warning displayed immediately and, after shooting three sub-10-second clips the camera said it would only shoot for another 02:00 minutes."

FUCKING SHIT!

Link to post
Share on other sites

With this overheating issue? Never.

Solved or through a workaround to comprehend Raw 12-bit 8K 24p/25p/30p & H.265 4:2:2 10-bit 4K 120fps?

Definitely, yes, without any other contender able to compete as of today.

 

Take a look on that comparison test against the RED babe... : ) I imagine Jim already bought one : D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...