Jump to content

AF Adapter Development Thread - Sneakest of Sneak Peeks


Recommended Posts

  • Administrators
8 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'll put up some video samples soon, although @Andrew Reid has had some over the past month so should be able to vouch for it actually working ;) 

I won't be getting too much into the detail about whats going on under the hood until later on and I will be doing a blog post with Andrew to provide more insight nearer the time of pre-orders which should be in August.

I can indeed vouch for it and the project is alive and well :)

Going to be interesting what happens next

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I won't be getting too much into the detail about whats going on under the hood until later on and I will be doing a blog post with Andrew to provide more insight nearer the time of pre-orders which should be in August.
 

You know who will be your number one, correct?

The accessory launch of the year IMO ; -)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yes, its the evolution of that concept.

With a bit more fancy pants stuff thrown in ;) 

fancy pants eh ? this isn't likely to microwave anything to death that one might find in a pair of fancy pants, right ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Members
Just now, Snowfun said:

Superb news.

A productive lockdown!

I've managed to shave a couple of seconds off my best lap at Brands Hatch on Assetto Corsa as well so I'm completely in the zone right now :)

To be honest, the lockdown has actually hindered this project quite a bit due to not being able to get some of the parts for prototyping.

The actual lockdown project is for the ATEM and that will be available to buy next month.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Members
2 minutes ago, leslie said:

fancy pants eh ? this isn't likely to microwave anything to death that one might find in a pair of fancy pants, right ?

Well there is a possibility that it could do some damage in the pants region if not calibrated correctly.

But as this will lead to not being able to have kids then the money saved on raising them can be ploughed into buying more lenses etc so its actually a feature rather than a fault for this audience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The actual lockdown project is for the ATEM and that will be available to buy next month.

The mini? Any clues? 
Somewhere in the Western Hemisphere there is a bin containing many many empty tubes of araldite...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Members
3 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

The mini? Any clues? 

Yes, it will work on any of them.

12 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

Somewhere in the Western Hemisphere there is a bin containing many many empty tubes of araldite...

Its funny you should say that.

Give me a minute to set up a tableaux of clues.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Members
1 hour ago, Snowfun said:

Any clues? 

I'll do a proper post but for now here it is (obviously in a "project" housing) surrounded by clues.

There is a bluetooth element to it.

There is a single presenter/operator element to it.

There is a control per feature element to it.

There is certainly a customisable element to it.

There is a no need to bring a computer element to it.

There is also an optional expansion element to it.

The main clue of its purpose is actually the Araldite ....

ASW1.thumb.jpg.4e6dd45a690a847fb36d16e489489674.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Members
14 minutes ago, Silverwings007 said:

Thanks so much for the update. Do you think there may eventually be support for other cameras, maybe panny GH5 or S1? Or maybe the Tilta Nano so it could work with any lens/camera setup? Thanks

The lens control protocols of those cameras don't lend themselves particularly well to direct positioning but having said that neither does the Pocket6K and we managed to develop a solution for that in the PBC so it will happen but not immediately.

A universal version that supports motors would be ahead of it in the queue as it can be used for both manual lenses on cameras that don't have particularly appropriate external control like the Panasonic but also of course for manual lenses on BM cameras.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@BTM_Pix Looking forward to using the with my manual lenses and Tilta Nucleus.  I have the zoom motor as well.  I would be interested in having it automatically adjust the zoom based on the distance of the subject form the lenses, so it could do and automated Zolly. Basically keep the framing the same and the subject in focus when the subject moves closer of future from the camera.

Just for fun for those who might want to watch a few Zollys

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The lens control protocols of those cameras don't lend themselves particularly well to direct positioning but having said that neither does the Pocket6K and we managed to develop a solution for that in the PBC so it will happen but not immediately.

A universal version that supports motors would be ahead of it in the queue as it can be used for both manual lenses on cameras that don't have particularly appropriate external control like the Panasonic but also of course for manual lenses on BM cameras.

Amazing news. Can't wait! I don't own BM Camera, so hoping the Tilta Nano route does go ahead 👍🏻

I know on the Panny S1 there is a linear focus mode on the fly by wire mode, but only native lenses. Not sure if this can be tapped in to and maybe easier than the GH5. I imagine it must be a nuisance trying to hack the GH5/G9 with the focus by wire system. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Members
3 minutes ago, Silverwings007 said:

I know on the Panny S1 there is a linear focus mode on the fly by wire mode, but only native lenses. Not sure if this can be tapped in to and maybe easier than the GH5. I imagine it must be a nuisance trying to hack the GH5/G9 with the focus by wire system. 

The Panasonic/Leica cameras don't support the lens being driven externally to a specific position so everything must be done with offsets.

This is manageable of sorts but it only has two values to move the lens by which are by single steps or by 10 steps which makes trying to provide a smooth transition difficult.

You can see how rough this is by using their own ImageApp to control the camera over wifi.

Over time, it may be that they provide a better way to do this (and also by Bluetooth LE rather than wifi as its a better way to do it) but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...