Correcting the Panasonic S1 MAGENTA Vlog cast

jgharding

Hi all,

I recently bought an S1. I've been using a GH5 for ages, with Emotive colour LUTs. They do a great Job of changing Vlog-L to an Arri like look.

Well, cue using Panasonic's official Vlog to 709 LUT and everybody looks pink. 

Does anyone know if someone has made LUTs to correct this, or shall I just set about making my own?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, jgharding said:

Hi all,

I recently bought an S1. I've been using a GH5 for ages, with Emotive colour LUTs. They do a great Job of changing Vlog-L to an Arri like look.

Well, cue using Panasonic's official Vlog to 709 LUT and everybody looks pink. 

Does anyone know if someone has made LUTs to correct this, or shall I just set about making my own?

I don't know which NLE you are using, but doing a Color Space Transform in Resolve from VLOG / VGamut gives a less red result than using the VLOG to 709 default LUT in Resolve. (I'm assuming that the LUT that is built in to Resolve is the "official" panasonic LUT. Apologies in advance if it isn't.)

I haven't tried this with my S1 yet, but with my Sony a6500 I was quite pleased with the colors I got from doing a CST from SLOG 2 / s.gamut2.cine to - Arri Log C / Arri Gamut - > 709. So that might also be worth a try.

45 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

but with my Sony a6500 I was quite pleased with the colors I got from doing a CST from SLOG 2 / s.gamut2.cine to - Arri Log C / Arri Gamut - > 709. So that might also be worth a try.

That's a small little trick I try to incorporate with every camera I have.

Truly works wonders!

3 minutes ago, Rinad Amir said:

Ive used Nice709 alot 

Even wirh 1dx miii works like charm

Yeah, as far as the prebuilt luts, the Nice709 is probably my favorite.

In fact, the other LUTs in that varicam lut library are basically unusable, IMHO. I don't know, though. Maybe someone smarter than me can put them to good use (and there are lots of people out there smarter than me. just ask my wife.)

10 hours ago, Parker said:

@jgharding just keep using the emotive color Luts, they're not an exact match like they are with the GH5, but I use them on the S1 all the time and it looks awesome. Can get both cameras to match quite easily with minimal tweaking 

I've found the GHa luts look amazing on the S1 V-Log too. Give it a try. When I do side by sides, it makes the native Panasonic luts look horrible.

Thanks all. I chatted to Alex and he said he’d like to update specifically for the S1 but maybe in the mean time try the emotive LUTS for GH5s as it’s also a little more magenta

i did also find that an ACES transform is less magenta. 

for some reason Panasonic's own LUT is Crazily pink

On 4/29/2020 at 10:13 PM, Mark Romero 2 said:

Yeah, as far as the prebuilt luts, the Nice709 is probably my favorite.

In fact, the other LUTs in that varicam lut library are basically unusable, IMHO. I don't know, though. Maybe someone smarter than me can put them to good use (and there are lots of people out there smarter than me. just ask my wife.)

The other LUTS are pretty much atrocious yeah

3 minutes ago, jgharding said:

he other LUTS are pretty much atrocious yeah

Actually, I am kind of happy with the Fashion Low Contrast lut in the Varicam pack. I still do my exposure in a node BEFORE the LUT is applied, and just use the shadows / highlights and contrast / pivot controls. Then I do the color changes in a node after the lut is applied. 

On 5/4/2020 at 11:55 PM, jgharding said:

I chatted to Alex and he said he’d like to update specifically for the S1 but maybe in the mean time try the emotive LUTS for GH5s as it’s also a little more magenta

Yes great, I will wait for a S1 version. Will buy it as soon as available !

On 5/4/2020 at 11:00 PM, Mark Romero 2 said:

Actually, I am kind of happy with the Fashion Low Contrast lut in the Varicam pack. I still do my exposure in a node BEFORE the LUT is applied, and just use the shadows / highlights and contrast / pivot controls. Then I do the color changes in a node after the lut is applied. 

ah ok ill have a look at this one cheers, i skimmed through them and there's so much "my first grade" in there i gave up