Jump to content

Fuji X-H2 - They can't decide whether to cancel it... Or?


Andrew Reid

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't see anything possibly bad about Fuji doing a cinema camera. Big battery, good codecs, internal RAW, 1000 knit big screen, internal ND's(don't even need to be electronic), good AF(maybe more vi

Weirdly the built in ND on the X100V cannot be enabled during video mode. 4K, but no ND. Getting the basic rights not a strength of the camera companies.

Meanwhile at the Pentax product meeting...

Posted Images

I was going for a pair of XT4’s (sans grips) for this season, but cancelled that order as soon as it appeared there would be either a delayed season (currently 50% of my season is now officially off) or even no season (a very possible scenario also) and make do with a pair of XH1’s but the way it’s going, might be going straight to XH2.

Providing it’s still hybrid and arrives by April 2021.

Come on Fuji, you can do that!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Weirdly the built in ND on the X100V cannot be enabled during video mode. 4K, but no ND.

Getting the basic rights not a strength of the camera companies.

Its not like it should be hard to do either.

I keep looking at my Canon G10.    I inherited it form my late Dad but geez i love it.

In 2008 Canon could make a camera that is (pants) pocketable , with FOUR control wheels, (simple) ND filter that works in video (can not be turned on or off while recording but set before hand), with a reasonably nicely stabilized 28-140 FF angle of view, with a spot meter that can be linked to face detect (does Sony do THAT with ANY camera?), with (for the time) image quality in stills about as good as a DSLR at base ISO but with a tiny P%S sensor (absolute shit above ISO 400)....but make the video seemingly reasonable for the time VGA...but give it little control for video! 

   I would love to see some of the prototypes some of the manufacturers must make...they would be truly amazing with everything until the defeatures engineers get to them (the ones they must employ to say, take that out, cripple this, "they" don't need that ETC).

EDIT The ND filter must be a real one and not electronic.    It works in RAW stills as well as jpeg and video.      This would be a fantastic camera to hack if it was possible for larger sized video at ISO 80/100 maybe 200  (the earlier G9 DID have a slightly larger size video mode than VGA).      In stills DPR found it out resolved the APSC 1000D DSLR with a 50mm prime at base but was left left behind at 400 and above that was chalk and cheese.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Do away with sd cards and have an internal 500GB (at least) drive, maybe as part of the battery grip?

Which reminds me, what happened to the Zeiss ZX1 or whatever it was called?!

Thats an amazing idea, interchangeable would be better I think though. They should offer RAW out through USB-C to ssd drive 

Link to post
Share on other sites

All the latest CFExpress and the upcoming SD Card standard (SD Express; SDEX) are based off of PCI 3.0 protocols and even NVMe 1.3 protocols that the latest SSD use.

Which, in the case of SD Express, raises transfer speeds to 900MB/s and capacities to 128TB.

However, camera companies are loathed to adopt new standards. We have UHS-3 since 2017 which doubles the performance over UHS-2 transfer rates and we still don’t have one camera to support it.

The move to the ubiquitous PCI Express standard is definitely better though. Cheaper hardware for all.

So it will be interesting to see where they go. SD express or CFExpress. CFExpress has an advantage of being slightly bigger which opens up larger capacities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
4 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I guess an XH1 form factor is fine. However if it means overheating or record limits than nah. At least give us an hour record limit. 

Internal ND's and IBIS would make it the ultimate run and gun camera though, perfect for weddings. 

I feel that people shooting very long events and interviews should just get a camcorder!

Those doing cinematic stuff don't need to be rolling for 3 hours solid... Apart from for some types of documentary interviews.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I feel that people shooting very long events and interviews should just get a camcorder!

Those doing cinematic stuff don't need to be rolling for 3 hours solid... Apart from for some types of documentary interviews.

It’s nice for run and gun interviews. Even an hour would be great. Panasonic can do it so I assume Fuji should be able to. At least in 2k!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

I feel that people shooting very long events and interviews should just get a camcorder!

If you're shooting a wedding / musical performance / corporate event, it is nice to put down a couple of mirrorless cameras (such as any Panasonic GHx) as locked off mid or wide shots. So long as their battery & SD cards lasts, and it doesn't overheat, then that is perfect for extra coverage! And having it being a more expensive camcorder is just a waste. 

And for interviews, if you're just one or two person crew then it is quite a distraction from the subject at hand to need to constantly check if you're about to hit the limit. Additionally, even if you're say a four person crew, who on earth wants to interrupt an interview to re-start the roll right at a crucial moment?

Link to post
Share on other sites

A 1 inch 4K camcorder is exactly what I use for wedding ceremonies and speeches. It isn’t intended in any way to be ‘cinematic’, rather just do that specific job, so I’m cool with hybrid camera time limits mostly shooting 10 second clips and the occasional 2-3 minute piece such as vows.

It’s a cheap option also. Bought it for about 1200 and this should have been it’s 4th season and it’s earned it’s keep to date at least 20x over.

So not so bothered about recording times but I can appreciate some are.

So if Fuji wish to ‘differentiate’ we need:

XH1 type body.

XT4 internals and battery.

ND and true anamorphic.

Interchangeable SSD of at least 500GB.

Build it and they will come, field of dreams baby!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, IronFilm said:

If you're shooting a wedding / musical performance / corporate event, it is nice to put down a couple of mirrorless cameras (such as any Panasonic GHx) as locked off mid or wide shots. So long as their battery & SD cards lasts, and it doesn't overheat, then that is perfect for extra coverage! And having it being a more expensive camcorder is just a waste. 

And for interviews, if you're just one or two person crew then it is quite a distraction from the subject at hand to need to constantly check if you're about to hit the limit. Additionally, even if you're say a four person crew, who on earth wants to interrupt an interview to re-start the roll right at a crucial moment?

One of the reasons I do not let my NX cameras go. 73 straight minutes. I usually cut at near 60minutes just to be sure. No overheating, ever, under scorching Mediterranean sun or hot indoor theaters. Something remarkable also, no sensor issues (dead/hot pixels) after so many years of use.

GH5 is a workhorse. Similar price as a camcorder too. 

One very interesting "camcorder" style camera is the JVC LS300, do not see why not prefer this if one needs a camcorder.

Good camcorders are very expensive also.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MrSMW said:

A 1 inch 4K camcorder is exactly what I use for wedding ceremonies and speeches. It isn’t intended in any way to be ‘cinematic’, rather just do that specific job, so I’m cool with hybrid camera time limits mostly shooting 10 second clips and the occasional 2-3 minute piece such as vows.

A 1" 4K camcorder is handy for when you're manning it. But for an unmanned camera on a tripod? You just want to hit record and walk away, without needing to worry about if it will overheat / battery go dead / time limit be hit, and that is what mirrorless cameras like the Panasonic GHx series is great at doing at a very low price. 

All cameras should have the time limit lifted. 

 

8 hours ago, Kisaha said:

One of the reasons I do not let my NX cameras go. 73 straight minutes. I usually cut at near 60minutes just to be sure. No overheating, ever, under scorching Mediterranean sun or hot indoor theaters. Something remarkable also, no sensor issues (dead/hot pixels) after so many years of use.

GH5 is a workhorse.


Why the limit of 73 minutes? Because that is what your biggest card could do?? Or something else?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

A 1" 4K camcorder is handy for when you're manning it. But for an unmanned camera on a tripod? You just want to hit record and walk away, without needing to worry about if it will overheat / battery go dead / time limit be hit, and that is what mirrorless cameras like the Panasonic GHx series is great at doing at a very low price. 

All cameras should have the time limit lifted. 

 


Why the limit of 73 minutes? Because that is what your biggest card could do?? Or something else?

The NX1 with the hacked firmware after 72-74 min goes in a programming overrun and stop recording. The clip is corrupted after, and you can only restore it with a recovery program, and then are artifacts and audio distortion in it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A 1" 4K camcorder is handy for when you're manning it. But for an unmanned camera on a tripod? You just want to hit record and walk away, without needing to worry about if it will overheat / battery go dead / time limit be hit, and that is what mirrorless cameras like the Panasonic GHx series is great at doing at a very low price. 

That is exactly how I do use it, tripod/unmanned and often in direct sunlight on hot Summer days here in SW France.

I do check it every now and again and maybe change the battery after 40 minutes (possibly could use a power bank as with my XT3 but haven’t needed to yet) and have a 256GB card in it. I could use even bigger Sony batteries though...

It’s really only low low light that is it’s only drawback but I tend to set up some kind of constant lighting if that is going to be the case.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 30min limit is related to some EU law issues. All cameras that shot over 30min are considered camcorders and not cameras. I believe this was already explained somewhere in this forum. 

I really hope the announced Canon R5 will give a boost to Fuji to make the H2 more cinema like. We don't need 8K, but internal RAW video would be amazing on the super 35 like sensor. Then I'm selling my x-t3 to get the H2. Let's wait and see. I think Fuji has a great opportunity here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...