Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hayk

Which light to buy for Video / Photo in 2020 ?

Recommended Posts

I wanna hear you're suggestions which is the best options for video/photo light between 700-1200$  or with less price? These lights i am gonna use mostly 80% taking videos, the rest 20% it would be some photo shoots.

After watching some of the reviews on youtube i find that these are really good lights for use, if you are agree or disagree please tell me.

1. Aputure 300D II or wait until they will start selling Aputure LS 300X Bi-Color  

2  Fotodiox Pro FACTOR Prizmo 150 RGB

3. Intellytech LiteCloth LC-160RGBW 

and in cheapest segment

4. Falcon Eyes RX-24TDX 150W

5. Falcon Eyes RX-818 RGB 100W

6. Menik CB-102A 102W 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Hayk said:

I wanna hear you're suggestions which is the best options for video/photo light between 700-1200$  or with less price? These lights i am gonna use mostly 80% taking videos, the rest 20% it would be some photo shoots.

After watching some of the reviews on youtube i find that these are really good lights for use, if you are agree or disagree please tell me.

1. Aputure 300D II or wait until they will start selling Aputure LS 300X Bi-Color  

2  Fotodiox Pro FACTOR Prizmo 150 RGB

3. Intellytech LiteCloth LC-160RGBW 

and in cheapest segment

4. Falcon Eyes RX-24TDX 150W

5. Falcon Eyes RX-818 RGB 100W

6. Menik CB-102A 102W 

 

Do you really need RGB lighting? Would gelling not be an option?

Maybe it is just FUD, but watching this video really made me a sad camper when it comes to RGB lighting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Do you really need RGB lighting? Would gelling not be an option?

Maybe it is just FUD, but watching this video really made me a sad camper when it comes to RGB lighting.

 

I didn't know this, thanks, sure i can use gel or i can just buy Bi Color lights which don't have an RGB.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes me happy as RGB lights are hella expensive anyways 🤣

Kidding aside I was going to get the RGB quasars but I honestly think I won't now. Their battery powered bi color ones are probably what I'll go for. I rarely need those funky colors anyways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which lights will be you're choices for getting soft light during

1. interviews and b-rolls?

2. Narrative stuff

3. Musical videos

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a look at the Forza 500. It is a little out of your price range, but not by much. 500 watts definitely puts out substantially more light than the 300Dii. You can always dim it down and diffuse it, but you can never make a light brighter, so I always say you should buy the brightest, most powerful light can you afford, and then adapt accordingly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Color inconsistencies between lights isn't the biggest deal IMO you can throw some 1/8 gels on to correct any tint you might be getting. 
 

1 hour ago, Geoff CB said:

300d mark II, from form factor to output it's a great light.

Its a little pricey though considering there are a lot of other lights that can do the same thing now IMO. I guess there is always the security of buying a name brand. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a set of Dracast 728 RGBW LED Panel 2-Light Kit. Love the lights and don't need gels. 

Forgot about the Kino Flo 4' Single System Fluorescent Light. I do need gels for that one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Parker said:

Take a look at the Forza 500. It is a little out of your price range, but not by much. 500 watts definitely puts out substantially more light than the 300Dii. You can always dim it down and diffuse it, but you can never make a light brighter, so I always say you should buy the brightest, most powerful light can you afford, and then adapt accordingly. 

Agree, better to have brightest one, but after watching this test Forza 300 vs Aputure 300d II i understood that Forza is brighter than  300d II, but  it's too noisy and i am mostly shoot interviews, so i can wait until Aputure 600 will be available, but price would be too high (((

so Forza 500 would be more noisy than his youngest brother.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hayk said:

Agree, better to have brightest one, but after watching this test Forza 300 vs Aputure 300d II i understood that Forza is brighter than  300d II, but  it's too noisy and i am mostly shoot interviews, so i can wait until Aputure 600 will be available, but price would be too high (((

so Forza 500 would be more noisy than his youngest brother.

 

 

It could be a little louder I'm sure. I use a 120dii quite often and don't really notice a functional real-world difference in fan noise between the two. I use my forza for interviews too, almost every single week, typically with a shotgun above the talent, occasionally a wireless lav for backup. I have never had any problems with it being too noisy, since it is very rare I'm shooting in a perfectly silent environment anyway. 

Air conditioning I can't turn off, or sinlke ambient room noise is usually much louder than any fans from lights, it's all neglible anyway by the time I run audio through audition and add music overtop anyway. But the aputures are awesome regardless, I also have my eye on the forthcoming 600D, hopefully it's not too pricey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Parker said:

It could be a little louder I'm sure. I use a 120dii quite often and don't really notice a functional real-world difference in fan noise between the two. I use my forza for interviews too, almost every single week, typically with a shotgun above the talent, occasionally a wireless lav for backup. I have never had any problems with it being too noisy, since it is very rare I'm shooting in a perfectly silent environment anyway. 

Air conditioning I can't turn off, or sinlke ambient room noise is usually much louder than any fans from lights, it's all neglible anyway by the time I run audio through audition and add music overtop anyway. But the aputures are awesome regardless, I also have my eye on the forthcoming 600D, hopefully it's not too pricey. 

Got it, can you tell me, during interviews with 120dII or with forza do you use light dome II, aputure fresnel with or without barndoors? I mean which from the accessories do you use mostly, maybe light dome?

And can you tell me which stands do you use for holding properly forza (300 or 500)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most likely making your interviewee look good will be your top priority, so some sort of diffusion is a must (be it a Light Dome from aperture or some generic soft/octaboxes - both will do). Adding a grid to the abovementioned softbox, so that you can control its spill, is also a good idea. 

I'd say that a fresnel is a more specialized tool and probably you wouldn't use it that much, especially during interviews. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Hayk said:

Got it, can you tell me, during interviews with 120dII or with forza do you use light dome II, aputure fresnel with or without barndoors? I mean which from the accessories do you use mostly, maybe light dome?

And can you tell me which stands do you use for holding properly forza (300 or 500)?

Mostly I use the light dome II on a C-stand (Matthews or Impact) but for much cheaper you can also use Impact heavy duty light stands, which are also quite a bit lighter and more portable. 

I also have a larger 150cm softbox from pixapro (very affordable) which looks great on both lights. 

One downside of the forza is that I cannot use it with my Aputure Spotlight, as the Bowens mount on the forza doesn't go deep enough, so I can only use it on my 120dii. Awesome and very versatile attachment though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Parker said:

Mostly I use the light dome II on a C-stand (Matthews or Impact) but for much cheaper you can also use Impact heavy duty light stands, which are also quite a bit lighter and more portable. 

I also have a larger 150cm softbox from pixapro (very affordable) which looks great on both lights. 

One downside of the forza is that I cannot use it with my Aputure Spotlight, as the Bowens mount on the forza doesn't go deep enough, so I can only use it on my 120dii. Awesome and very versatile attachment though. 

can you send the purchasing links for Matthews or Impact and 150cm softbox?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hayk said:

can you send the purchasing links for Matthews or Impact

C Stands are rather heavy! You'd want to buy them locally. Where are you?

Or do what I do, and buy Chinese C Stands direct from China. (not sure if that is a great idea currently though, you might be in for an extra long wait)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

C Stands are rather heavy! You'd want to buy them locally. Where are you?

Or do what I do, and buy Chinese C Stands direct from China. (not sure if that is a great idea currently though, you might be in for an extra long wait)

i'm located in Yerevan, but usually purchase through amazon/B&H/ebay/aliexpress so if you have the links please share it and yes China can work as well)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about the best lightweight lights in 2020? I'm think one man band, everything in your backpack, camera (or 2), lenses, sound gear, tripod and lighting.

I'm thinking of getting a couple of Manfrotto Nano Plus Stands. At present I'm using Yongnuo 300s (size/power/size) but there must be something smaller and as powerful if not more powerful with beter CRI. Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...