A7s mki in 2020

Kangaroo

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Nikkor said:

Is there a way to fix the alien colors?

I disagree about alien colour though AWB colour can be very off at night.      If you want to play with things in camera, there is the Sony live view grading app.     You could play with hundreds of combinations every day for years and still not exhaust them.   And as stated, Andrew's colour profiles.

On 2/14/2020 at 8:27 PM, noone said:

I disagree about alien colour though AWB colour can be very off at night.      If you want to play with things in camera, there is the Sony live view grading app.     You could play with hundreds of combinations every day for years and still not exhaust them.   And as stated, Andrew's colour profiles.

I don't want to spend any time trying things out, I just want a balanced image without color correcting the way I have it on my stills camera.

I thought there might be a color space problem that got fixed after some time. I guess the A7s is a no go then.

On 2/12/2020 at 4:38 PM, heart0less said:

That's the point I was making a while ago!

Why should we bother with 8K, etc. if 90% of viewers will watch our work on their phones / tablets?

1080p is still king.

Because you get a better image 8K down to 4K just like 4K down to 2K.  Filming at 1080p is not king.  If you were right then lets just use phones to record content since EVERYONE is viewing on phones and tablets.

5 hours ago, Super8 said:

If you were right then lets just use phones to record content since EVERYONE is viewing on phones and tablets.

Well, most of the contemporary content creators actually do that. 

I'm not a big fan of using my phone to take photos / make videos, only because it's not ergonomic and I can't rely on it as much, as I can on my camera. Image quality is totally acceptable. 

Truth be told, I'm constantly amazed at what these little sensors and chipsets are capable of. 

On 2/17/2020 at 2:29 AM, Nikkor said:

I don't want to spend any time trying things out, I just want a balanced image without color correcting the way I have it on my stills camera.

I thought there might be a color space problem that got fixed after some time. I guess the A7s is a no go then.

Again, I disagree there IS a problem.     The Live view grading app is just meant to give those who want it millions of settings to apply in camera.    Most would find something they like fairly quickly but if you WANTED to check every setting, that could take years but you do not have to.

The colour "issue" to me is the AWB in (some) artificial light and that takes a couple of seconds to change.      

On 2/13/2020 at 1:24 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

Sony is stupid for not doing the same style camera with 10 bit, new AF, and Venice color 

There's clearly an issue building a sensor to have both beautiful color science and extreme low light sensitivity. 

Canon 1DXii would do well in these scenarios too. It is also 5 times the price. 

13 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

There's clearly an issue building a sensor to have both beautiful color science and extreme low light sensitivity. 

Canon 1DXii would do well in these scenarios too. It is also 5 times the price. 

Sony's other cameras have the same kind of color issues, I don't think it has to do with the camera being good in lowlight.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

When you pull that much gain with such high ISOs, it's bound to affect the color fidelity a bit.

It looks funky at base ISO, its not a color fidelity issue. 

8 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

One of the reasons ARRI is so good, it holds onto good colors even as you move up the ISO range 

it also holds on underexposed too

5 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

It looks funky at base ISO, its not a color fidelity issue. 

I was referring to your comment about an a7s with Venice color. I actually kinda like the grungy, funky colors of the a7s... it reminds me of an older indie film look.

To me, the colour is better than others in low light (once you have your WB set) maybe because noise gets out of the way.      in low light, people do not see anywhere near as great a DR as we do on good light so it does not matter if it is reduced but the A7s just has the DR reduce at a more gentle rate than other cameras.     The AWB is a bit off at any ISO in artificial light (EG for long exposure at ISO 100 at night along a city street).   It is fine in daylight.