Jump to content
BTM_Pix

GX80/85 External Microphone Input Modification (if you dare)

Recommended Posts

So, I've happened across the service manual for our old friend the GX80/85....

A while ago, a brave soul on DPReview cracked open his LX100, located where the internal mics connected and made a breakout cable.

lx100mic.thumb.jpg.522cba2f62c52152eb23274f41318d83.jpg

Its documented here 

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3845240

So with the aid of the newly acquired GX80/85 service manual, I had a look to see where the mics were and was there a similar potential.

The good news is that there is.

The mics themselves are located under the hotshoe .

96162059_ScreenShot2019-08-08at16_54_51.png.05c32cbf414481bc710259e77744ec80.png

The service manual provides all the information you need to trace the signal and connect a break out to your own connector. You could conceivably do the same for the speaker output and make a headphone port if you were so inclined.

1851695289_ScreenShot2019-08-08at15_33_22.png.2f939d7aef6a61c4a419c205c3bbe105.png

You can use this IR mod guide to get you going with the cracking open the case.

https://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials/life-pixel-panasonic-lumix-gx85-diy-digital-infrared-conversion-tutorial

And then take it from there with the service manual I've attached here to do the rest of the steps to get to the hotshoe removal.

LUMIX GX85 Service Manual.pdf

Now, I'm no expert on consumer law but I have a sneaking feeling that doing this mod might invalidate your warranty a little bit so its all at your own risk.

What we could really do with is someone who already has a completely dismantled GX80 to try this out for everyone eh @Andrew Reid ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

@BTM_Pix, where did you got the service manual?

I need one for the Olympus E-P1 (to try to bring its Ibis back to life).

Dumb luck while looking for some other information.

Can't find one for the Olympus but here is a thread about fixing the ibis on the EP-L1 (same internals I believe regarding the sensor etc)

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/e-pl1-ibis-problem-fixed-finally.59751/

And these various repair guides for it should put you on the right track regarding opening it up.

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Olympus_E-Pl1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one. Although i would not hesitate to do it, we have to think where to put the mic in physically. And on top of that: i am not an audio engineer but afaik, we cant just solder directly the 3,5mm mic in to the cable that connects to the onboard mics unless you accept crappy quality and whatsoever, can we?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jase said:

Nice one. Although i would not hesitate to do it, we have to think where to put the mic in physically. And on top of that: i am not an audio engineer but afaik, we cant just solder directly the 3,5mm mic in to the cable that connects to the onboard mics unless you accept crappy quality and whatsoever, can we?

If I were to do this, then the sacrifice of the central part of the hotshoe (at least) to get the cables through would be the logical option and then terminate them with two sockets to plug into. You could use a male connector as the guy has with the LX100 if you wanted and use couplers but I'm not sure why.

A mod would remove the onboard mics completely so yes you could either go in just before the pre-amps or if you look at the schematic in the service manual you can trace it and go in after those ( at c7 and c8 on IC9101) providing you have external pre-amps.

Or just buy a G85 and be done with it ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Or just buy a G85 and be done with it

Quite...

One thing with modding the GX80/85 is that the camera would still be doing all the (IBIS and focusing) noise-suppression processing on the audio. With a proper external mic jack like on the G80/85, the camera knows when an external mic is plugged in, so it can turn all that off (to give you cleaner audio).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Dumb luck while looking for some other information.

Can't find one for the Olympus but here is a thread about fixing the ibis on the EP-L1 (same internals I believe regarding the sensor etc)

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/e-pl1-ibis-problem-fixed-finally.59751/

Yeah, this thread was my inspiration to try to fix mine (first will try to "realign" the sensor without opening.

 

17 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

And these various repair guides for it should put you on the right track regarding opening it up.

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Olympus_E-Pl1

Will take a look. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

Quite...

One thing with modding the GX80/85 is that the camera would still be doing all the (IBIS and focusing) noise-suppression processing on the audio. With a proper external mic jack like on the G80/85, the camera knows when an external mic is plugged in, so it can turn all that off (to give you cleaner audio).

I have to confess I'm not sure how much that plays in terms of noticeable impact on the signal, (I'm presuming its doing it with phase cancellation or filtering at specific frequencies as it does with the wind filter setting which is also bypassed when a mic is put in the G80) because if its always on there is no way to do an A/B ;)

On balance, even with that, it would still have the net benefit of slightly degraded signal from a good microphone being more preferable to a similarly degraded signal from those internal microphones.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...