Replace my Nx1 with... what? (And what's the current AF champ?)

M Carter

So later this year, it's time to replace my NX1 with… what??

I do lots of industrial/business/medical stuff, talking heads in the office, then manufacturing or process in the big facility - a music vid every month or two. One-man-band. It's a great gig, I'm happy as a clam.

The big NX1 game changer for me has been video AF on a gimbal. Never thought video AF would mean jack to me, but the NX1 with the cheap little OIS kit lens is the biggest game changer I've encountered in a decade of doing this. I can literally run around a factory and get killer shots. Clients think it's drone video. My killer-shot-count has gone through the roof - hardly ever bring the Kessler crane any more. I can try a dozen angles and moves in the time it takes to set up one crane shot. I can play that rig like a guitar.

On a tripod I use Nikkors, the footage is beautiful. But the NX1 has its cons: no Prores, no RAW, blown highs, noise at higher ISOs. 4K@ 60p would be nice. I have tons of lights for interviews/planned shots, but too much of my work is in dimmer environments.

The Nikon Z6 sounds like a no-brainer - but it sounds like I'd take a big step down in the AF I rely on for motion shots.

So what would you do? What's the best in mirrorless AF these days? (I love the NX1 EVF for shoulder rigs and no fiddling with an external - I'll never go back to a DSLR). I'm really happy with APS-C, full frame would be fine for me though, not thrilled with smaller sensors, but for my AF shots I'm usually pretty wide, so I could go smaller sensor with a native lens.

What's out now, what's coming down the pipeline? Thanks for any ideas.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Loved the NX1 AF, in good light it was almost flawless. Fell apart in low light.

The Z6 is on par with it I would say. Far better in low light. Even though the expense of the new lenses are very high, the old 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 still focus very well.

1 hour ago, sandro said:

I'm on the same boat though I'm not that focused on the AF. I don't remember that nx1 being so special for the AF capabilities.

In decent light, it's really something - at least with the tiny 16-50 kit lens - I generally use it on the 16mm end so granted, it's not a lot of work for the AF, but still... shot a music video last week and I used the gimbal to basically do a dolly shot, but I RAN from 20 feet away, right up to the singer. Nx nailed focus the shot is just "WTF?!?!?"

21 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Loved the NX1 AF, in good light it was almost flawless. Fell apart in low light.

The Z6 is on par with it I would say. Far better in low light. Even though the expense of the new lenses are very high, the old 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 still focus very well.

My main-squeeze Nikon lens for video is the huge old 28-70 2.8S which should work fine on the Z adapter (but it's too heavy for how I use the gimbal). I'll probably spring for the wide Z zoom as I don't have a really wide S lens. If I'm not on the gimbal I'm using a follow focus though, and I have some really nice screw-drive and AIS glass.

I get a lot of stills work with my D7100 (AF) mixed with the NX1 (Just stick Nikkors on and shoot manual), so if I go the Z route I can sell both bodies and put it towards glass.

And man, Prores and Prores raw with an affordable recorder - if the AF performs for me, this just covers so many bases, as I keep thinking of buying something like a BMC for higher-bit shooting and just keeping the NX for corporate gimbal stuff.

• Administrators

Closest direct replacement for NX1 is the Fuji X-H1 or X-T3 / X-T30.

Very good AF on all especially the X-T3 and X-T30.

AF on the Z6 is very good. Occasionally though, it trips up. But I rate it at least as good as NX1 overall, if not actually even better.

XT3 or Z6 

I went with the Fuji as I was already invested but believe I’d be equally as happy with the Nikon.

Z6 wins though in one sense as all lenses are stabilised due to the IBIS.

As someone who does not use gimbals, I am a bit more limited with my Fuji to tri or monopod and the OIS lenses.

All good news for the Z. By the time I'm ready to pull the trigger I should be able to rent one for a few days and try it out.

15 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

To me no way to use a battery grip on a Z6, Z7 is a total no go for me. WTF where they thinking??

I don't use grips for video but I do for stills; the Z grip is in production, Nikon says it will be a dual-battery grip - not sure what you're thinking?

The MB-N10 Multi-Power Battery Pack that is currently in development will hold two EN-EL15b, effectively increasing the number of shots possible and/or movie recording time by approximately 1.8×. It will provide the same level of dust and drip resistance as the Z 7 and Z 6, and will support USB charging using the EH-7P Charging AC Adapter. Information regarding the release of this product will be announced at a later date.

11 minutes ago, M Carter said:

I don't use grips for video but I do for stills; the Z grip is in production, Nikon says it will be a dual-battery grip - not sure what you're thinking?

I will believe it when I see it, just like Raw for the Z6.Talk is cheap. How they going to have contacts for shutter, other functions?? Just having 2 batteries is Not the reason you have an external grip.

2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I will believe it when I see it, just like Raw for the Z6. Talk is cheap.

So you're saying you don't believe Nikon will release the battery grip they've announced for two of their full-frame pro bodies? Like, are battery grips that rare in the market for full-frame cameras? The Nikon MB-N10 battery pack for Nikon Z mirrorless cameras has been registered with the Korean Communications Commission, which suggests it will have some sort of wireless or Bluetooth connectivity (the registration is for communication-capable devices).

Both Atomos and Nikon have announces ProRes raw from the Z cameras to the Ninja V. Talk is indeed cheap, but two major companies partnering in R&D, showing demos and announcing it will be released is kinda-more-than-just-talk.

Just be prepared with a cool drink and a chair when the grips are released though, we don't want you going into shock!!

• Super Members

I'm surprised what's keeping them (and 3rd parties) with the battery grip for the Z6 as it uses the EN-EL15 battery which has been around for a long time with D8xx/D500.

As for the ProResRAW...I have to say its also a bit surprising why it its not out yet nearly five months later but even more curious that there isn't a definitive release date.

I don't doubt it will happen though.

• Super Members
8 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

The Raw thing maybe another Legal thing they can't get around. Seems Red must have patented everything with the name Raw or Compressed in it knowing them?

It could well be that.

Atomos settled their suit with RED recently so maybe a contract re-negotiation now has to take place with Nikon regarding the royalties Atomos now have to pay RED?

Well maybe even Arri has something to do with it? Red, Arri have been doing Raw for a long time now. To work over HDMI this has too be compressed to hell and back. So it is probably that reason patent wise they may be having trouble. Or maybe they are pulling a bRaw thing and having trouble with BMD patents?? Crazy world lol.

For the money Now you can buy one I think they are a good deal. Is it perfect no, it is their first effort. Lacking for helpful items menu wise for video, not a super fan of how they have went CS wise over say the D750, but that can be corrected if you want. AF has been improved, and IF this Raw thing Ever happens that is a big plus. Seems to be split on here those that bought one and loved it, to those that bought one and sold it.

It is good in low light, not A7s good, but really pretty good. Pretty much a Sony A7 III sensor I believe with some Nikon tweeks added in. And it looks like a lot of adapters are coming out for it now. So that is a good thing. I believe the older Nikon lenses work really well on it. Good news there.

Hey I have been a Nikon owner for more years than most of you have been alive. Have one now. Not a Z6. I will pretend I am waiting for the Sony A7s mk III like a lot of people on here lol. I want to see them make it as well as anyone. I have always loved their body layouts. Not a fan of the ass backwards lens mount but... I guess they had never heard of “righty-tighty and lefty-loosey” thing??

I'd say the Nikon Z6 though I doubt the dynamic range is that much better and of course its still an 8 bit H264 codec unless you record externally. 

Unless you get something like a C300 or C200 there isn't much out there that would be much of an upgrade. 

The XT3's 10 bit Flog is definitely nice. Very good auto focus as well. Probably no better in low light though.

• Administrators

Some incorrect speculation there

X-T3 is quite a bit better than the NX1 in low light but the NX1 has a lot of good information in an underexposed image. If you keep the ISO at 800 and rarely go higher then NX1 is ok (if you don't mind bringing up the underexposed image) but still not X-T3 level clean You should never shoot ISO 3200 or above on the NX1. Treat it like film.

The X-T3 is happier at ISO 3200 and 6400, even 12,800.

But the Z6 (and Panasonic S1) are another step up in low light.

Also the Z mount is anything but ass backwards.

It's actually one of the most versatile full frame mounts due to the very short flange of just 16mm and very large diameter. 16mm is incredibly short and it matters. Just 2mm is what make it even more adaptable than Sony E-mount, predominantly because E-mount adapters and lenses now go on Z mount. This will never happen with EOS R mount or L mount, or any other mount for that matter unless flange distance is less than 18mm