New Drone from DJI?

Video Hummus

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The drone market is a strange one.

Simultaneously you've got DJI pumping out better, faster, cheaper drones with higher and higher image quality, while simultaneously countries are bring in legislation that prohibits anyone flying them unless they're basically a pilot.

eg (ignore the click-bait title)

I see a collision of supply and demand that won't end well for DJI stock prices.

30 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Not helping DJI directly, but might for other companys.

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/amazon-confirms-faa-approval-fly-195531226.html

To me, the rules:

• Help out professional drone pilots (or will create a domestic marketplace)
  • Hinder the average YT person that wants high IQ but won't become a pilot
  • Help to shift demand from mid-sized drones (eg, Mavic) to tiny drones that are below the maximum weight for unrestricted drone use (normally something like under 250-300g IIRC)

Problem with the latter is... in many places once you add a camera, they already don't consider flying for the modelflying hobby itself anymore and even then (regardless of weight/kinetic energy) you're subjected to strict rules. Especially when that footage is being used other than for personal purposes (e.g. a monitized YT video). They got no chill. And even if you would go the official route of getting exempted to fly (which is costly and cumbersome), you're pretty much restricted to grass fields in the middle of nowhere where you need permission of the owner of said land and you have to give notice of every flight to the authorities, etc. So... the streets are Carmageddon, but a little rc multirotor flying around is the real threat to public safety apparently. It's overregulated to shits I tell you.

The only reason to still pick one up I'd say is holidays/travel if you know the countries where you are going to don't really give too much shit about your 'drone' and/or don't really enforce laws that scricty (e.g. locations where it's okay for 5 people and 3 chickens to be on a 2 persons moped without helmet).

On 6/8/2019 at 1:00 AM, Cinegain said:

Problem with the latter is... in many places once you add a camera, they already don't consider flying for the modelflying hobby itself anymore and even then (regardless of weight/kinetic energy) you're subjected to strict rules. Especially when that footage is being used other than for personal purposes (e.g. a monitized YT video). They got no chill. And even if you would go the official route of getting exempted to fly (which is costly and cumbersome), you're pretty much restricted to grass fields in the middle of nowhere where you need permission of the owner of said land and you have to give notice of every flight to the authorities, etc. So... the streets are Carmageddon, but a little rc multirotor flying around is the real threat to public safety apparently. It's overregulated to shits I tell you.

The only reason to still pick one up I'd say is holidays/travel if you know the countries where you are going to don't really give too much shit about your 'drone' and/or don't really enforce laws that scricty (e.g. locations where it's okay for 5 people and 3 chickens to be on a 2 persons moped without helmet).

I think DJI is working hard to create a system where flyers will be able to see in real-time where they can fly and the drone (unless hacked) will not fly in restricted zones.

These rules are oppressive and DJI has it in there best interest to try and work with governments to streamline flight approval etc into their app.

We are seeing the first steps with mavic enterprise and any new drones having ADSB transponder hardware integrated in them that all plans in the US must have.

I think in the US it won’t be so bad. Canada’s recent laws however...basically killed drones for hobby enthusiasts.

• Super Members

I think its actually pretty smart.

More to the point, if they release a version of the base unit of this thing for the Osmo Pocket then it would actually be a pretty intriguing product with the amount of customisation available through the programming interface.

With the combination of repeatable movement and articulation that it could achieve with just some of that blue tape and a few of the markers It could be the motion controller for the rest of us.

For low budget sports productions it would be a revolution in making high speed remote tracking shots available at that sort of price. 

8 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think its actually pretty smart.

More to the point, if they release a version of the base unit of this thing for the Osmo Pocket then it would actually be a pretty intriguing product with the amount of customisation available through the programming interface.

With the combination of repeatable movement and articulation that it could achieve with just some of that blue tape and a few of the markers It could be the motion controller for the rest of us.

For low budget sports productions it would be a revolution in making high speed remote tracking shots available at that sort of price. 

Yeah.  When we're all living in the future dominated by AI and robotics we'll look at the big brands of the time and look back to how there was no direct pathway to success.  Some might have come from consumer drone companies, some might have come from high-end military contractors, some might have come from some other field but had a bunch of cash and bought up a truckload of R&D firms and their patents, etc.

Times of great change are times of great opportunity for those who put in the work and have a lot of luck.