Jump to content

Z-CAM quietly announce 8k and 6k FULL FRAME cameras - no joke!


Oliver Daniel
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, andjo said:

Dynamic range on the full frame version looks very pleasing from this example 

 

F8 has the same pixel level DR as S6 and FUJI XT3 (~11EV) as they have the same 3.76um pixel design. But if we normalise the 8K footage from F8 to 4K, it'll have about 1EV cleaner shadow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, androidlad said:

F8 has the same pixel level DR as S6 and FUJI XT3 (~11EV) as they have the same 3.76um pixel design. But if we normalise the 8K footage from F8 to 4K, it'll have about 1EV cleaner shadow.

will the F6 be using the same/similar sensor as the Mavo LF? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, androidlad said:

F8 has the same pixel level DR as S6 and FUJI XT3 (~11EV) as they have the same 3.76um pixel design. But if we normalise the 8K footage from F8 to 4K, it'll have about 1EV cleaner shadow.

Same dynamic range as Fuji XT3 video? Thats a bit disappointing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, androidlad said:

They are indeed using the same sensor IMX410.

Thats awesome! Hopefully they can implement a decent codec instead of h265. If I was Z Cam I would be knocking on blackmagics door for Braw. 

I downloaded a clip from the F6, but I could not push the image around like I wanted or way less room to play around with vs my ursa mini pro or even my pocket 4K at this point, seems they need to fix the curve on that cam still, also something weird going on with the noise in the camera(but its still all very alpha/beta, so they have some time to fix the problems). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, zerocool22 said:

Thats awesome! Hopefully they can implement a decent codec instead of h265. If I was Z Cam I would be knocking on blackmagics door for Braw. 

I downloaded a clip from the F6, but I could not push the image around like I wanted or way less room to play around with vs my ursa mini pro or even my pocket 4K at this point, seems they need to fix the curve on that cam still, also something weird going on with the noise in the camera(but its still all very alpha/beta, so they have some time to fix the problems). 

They are working on Cineform RAW.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, androidlad said:

They are working on Cineform RAW.

I never worked with Cineform RAW, what are the compression rates at? I freaking love BRAW at 12:1

I know some people prefer cdng over braw. But I certainly don't, the sizes are too massive. Braw is offering RAW at even smaller files then prores can. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

Hopefully they can implement a decent codec instead of h265

Last I heard, the S6, F6, and F8 will have H264, H265, ProRes, and a proprietary RAW format. ProRes would be pending Apple's approval (no reason it wouldnt be approved, it was for the E2 after all). Raw could be converted to Cineform raw in post using z cam's converter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Thats awesome! Hopefully they can implement a decent codec instead of h265. If I was Z Cam I would be knocking on blackmagics door for Braw. 

I downloaded a clip from the F6, but I could not push the image around like I wanted or way less room to play around with vs my ursa mini pro or even my pocket 4K at this point, seems they need to fix the curve on that cam still, also something weird going on with the noise in the camera(but its still all very alpha/beta, so they have some time to fix the problems). 

I'd expect prores like the E2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

 Raw could be converted to Cineform raw in post using z cam's converter.

This sucks major though... ZCAM if you are reading this, ask bm for braw and we all will be happy. 

 

[update] I just read that zcam cannot support braw because they own standard hdmi, which is not supported by braw. (well this is for external, what about interal though)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/11/2019 at 2:34 PM, eatstoomuchjam said:

Big things are happening!

I just received my E2C which is the smaller budget version of the E2.  It can shoot 4k at up to 30fps in ProRes and it costs only $800 (I got it for a little less due to early bird preorder)!  I'll be doing some comparisons of it vs my bigger E2 tomorrow, hopefully.

 

Also, for the full-size E2, Z Cam just released firmware 0.86 which, among many other nice improvements, adds 4kp160 (2.4:1 instead of 16:9).  I hope to find something that is moving tomorrow to play with that as well.  :)


How is the dynamic range of the E2C?

As that is one area on the spec sheet that the E2C performs below the E2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2019 at 10:34 PM, eatstoomuchjam said:

Big things are happening!

I just received my E2C which is the smaller budget version of the E2.  It can shoot 4k at up to 30fps in ProRes and it costs only $800 (I got it for a little less due to early bird preorder)!  I'll be doing some comparisons of it vs my bigger E2 tomorrow, hopefully.

 

Also, for the full-size E2, Z Cam just released firmware 0.86 which, among many other nice improvements, adds 4kp160 (2.4:1 instead of 16:9).  I hope to find something that is moving tomorrow to play with that as well.  :)

Thanks for the update but where can you preorder the e2c? I can’t find it anywhere. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

I believe this might be the first footage from their new S35 6k camera...

And perhaps more interestingly, footage from their new global shutter variant... the E2G

 

For me the F6 is the most interesting one (hoping to see a F6 vs mavo lf side by side soon). The e2g has very limited DR(this example also has a lot of dead pixels and some weird noise/grain going on, the noise problem is also present in the F6 video). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it still in developing stages, but from the looks of it there is still quite some work to get it in the mavo lf range. Didnt knew it needed that much tweaking for each camera individual, as I understand a lot of people are getting good results with the zcam E2 4K.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...