hi which interal HDD do you suggest me to buy?

Dan Wake

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Internal HDD are kind of slow, especially for 4k raw footage. They are ok for archive but in this case you would need at least a Raid 1 (mirror) solution. For editing, they will be too slow. There is no ideal size and model brand. It all comes down to your need in terms of speed/capacity and budget. As for the brand, the two main players are WD and Seagate.

Check this link for more information, I explain the current offering and HDD options

https://fstoppers.com/originals/price-performance-and-reliability-which-hard-drive-should-you-buy-and-why-298942

1 hour ago, Dan Wake said:

which max resolution can a mechanic hdd handle in raw using proxy without using raid? thx

If you're using proxies then most modern HDDs should be fine - just buy the drive with the fastest sequential read speeds, the biggest cache, and the biggest overall capacity.  RAW footage is huge and the size required really adds up.

One thing to understand about video is that there is no amount of CPU speed, GPU speed, SSD speed, HDD speed, or storage capacity that will always be 'enough'.  I remember in the late 90s editing video required you to render your SD timeline to watch it back real-time and computers are now thousands of times faster than they were then, but now we have 4K, RAW, plugins and effects, colour grading, and 3D compositing and titling workflows which use up all that extra performance, and although people are still struggling to get smooth 4K editing with single cam, let alone the people working with multicam editing, and we're soon to have 8K which will have 4x the data rates and will completely crunch everything available.  

Buy what you can afford and work within it - there will never be enough processing power or storage speed.

I edit on 3 Samsung 2TB m.2 SSD drives. I then have 2 conventional Samsung 4TB SSD's and 4 Western Digital 6TB drives. After I am done editing and want to archive, I copy stuff over to the HDD's. Also have the i7-8700k running watercooled at 5Ghz, I haven't had issues editing 10 bit h.265 on the m.2 drives and this setup. 

30 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

I edit on 3 Samsung 2TB m.2 SSD drives. I then have 2 conventional Samsung 4TB SSD's and 4 Western Digital 6TB drives. After I am done editing and want to archive, I copy stuff over to the HDD's. Also have the i7-8700k running watercooled at 5Ghz, I haven't had issues editing 10 bit h.265 on the m.2 drives and this setup. 

It would be sort of depressing if you did!!!

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

@Snowbro care to share more specs on your machine? Any reason you chose the 8700k as opposed to the 8700. Pricing out a build myself. Don’t think I can do $2k on a MacBook Pro...

The k versions are unlocked for overclocking. You would be fine with the locked version though, still fast. A macbook pro is terrible for video editing vs. a desktop PC for the same price. 

1 hour ago, Snowbro said:

The k versions are unlocked for overclocking. You would be fine with the locked version though, still fast. A macbook pro is terrible for video editing vs. a desktop PC for the same price. 

You’re telling me man. I’ve been researching for a year or two. Since I do it as a hobby I don’t quite have the cash to upgrade yet but I think it’s time soon. I was going to do it last year but with the graphics cards being insane I couldn’t quite do it. I’m also not sure if I wanna try hackintosh. I got a feeling of apple puts a laptop out with their own chip it may be tough on hackintoshing!

2 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Also the newer 19 9900k looks to be a nice upgrade over the 8700k if you are doing a new build.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2018-Core-i7-9700K-i9-9900K-Performance-1254/

I think for Resolve users a Laptop might be the last thing you want. Most are pretty far behind on the GPU side that is anyway affordable. And hardly any you can upgrade.That is mostly the problem with most Apple computers, even the iMacs, weak GPU's.  And it seems only the gaming ones on the PC side have great GPU's in them. And I am not too sure even they would be a good choice when you figure how long some of the render times can be in video. You know they would throttle down because of heat issues. I think a PC desktop is the only good, cheap way to go to be honest. I guess a hackintosh works also.

I mean my Desktop has 9 fans in it and 1050 watt power supply. And it can be water cooled, I am not using that option, but it is set up for it. Now I don't have a super powerful set in this day and age, but when I bought my case and power supply I went over the top for future upgrades. No Laptop is going to be able to do that.

I am only running a i5 6600 @ 4200Mhz overclocked, 16gb ram with a GTX 980 in it, but it seems to get the job done for what I do. No speed demon though now. Was a couple years ago LoL. Plus it has 11 bays in it and 2 dedicated SSD bays, and room for 2 power supplies. So I can put a whole raid system right inside my case. Desktops have a pretty big advantage if you buy the right case, and they are really not that much money to be honest. I think I bought mine for 145 dollars. It was a display model at Micro Center. Was like 220 dollars normally. Crazy thing is it has no place for a CD, DVD player! Crazy LoL. I have an external Blu-Ray, DVD player.

2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I think for Resolve users a Laptop might be the last thing you want. Most are pretty far behind on the GPU side that is anyway affordable. That is mostly the problem with most Apple computers, even the iMacs, weak GPU's.  And it seems only the gaming ones on the PC side have great GPU's in them. And I am not too sure even they would be a good choice when you figure how long some of the render times can be in video. You know they would throttle down because of heat issues. I think a PC desktop is the only good, cheap way to go to be honest.

I use Resolve on my MBP laptop and I don't think it's a bad combination actually.  But I stand by my original statement about there never being enough hardware performance and so you just need to learn to work around it.

I understand that @Snowbro has a machine that can edit 10-bit h265, but what about after adding transitions, colour grading, titles and effects, and image processing?  The OP has specified that they're shooting RAW and using a proxy, so it's not like there's a magical Yes/No barrier to performance.  If you have to render proxies anyway, then just render proxies that are OK for your system.  Having a MBP laptop isn't really a problem - I render 720p Prores proxies and it plays 60p like butter, even with some effects applied, and this is in Resolve :) 
It might be far more powerful than that, but I only render proxies at 720 because it's enough quality to edit with and takes less disk space.  Then when I disable the proxies and colour grade the original footage it's fine too because if I want to play it in real-time I can set it to cache the timeline, but for normal colour grading tasks like colour you don't really need to do that.  In fact, if it plays back at 10fps or whatever it's actually easier to see grading issues because the footage isn't playing as fast!
The only time when hardware performance really matters is if you have to be able to play the original footage in real-time with the processing applied because you're doing it in front of the director and producer who are paying by the hour for you and your grading suite, which I doubt is the case with the OP who started this by asking about spinning hard-disks.

Of course, Resolve can swap between the RAW and proxy files with a single button press, and you can edit, mix, add VFX, and grade your project, and then pop back to the RAW tab and adjust the de-bayering settings on a clip and see the results instantly, so maybe this is a Resolve thing and with the others their limitations force you to buy much more expensive hardware?

Yeah but the money you paid for that MBP I can build a Desktop that would knock you socks off. Sure if you need the portability, yeah you have to go Laptop. It is reasonably cheap to build a box yourself. There is always scratch and dent, open box, display stuff around for a great savings.

Yeah, if you were starting from scratch and building a system that didn't need to be portable then a laptop in general isn't a good choice from a value for money perspective.

My points are more around the "what computer do I need?" questions, which people think of in terms of Can/Cannot instead of Can up to a point and Cannot after that point Depending on what you are doing.

Here's a video showing Resolve getting smooth playback of 4K h264 footage on a 2013 laptop...

and here's the Blackmagic Fusion 3D promotional video where the guy renders a 3D animated title sequence where the iMac (and potentially their external GPU which is sitting conspicuously on the desk) looks like it's getting barely 1fps with all the modules he's loaded up...

I don't know about how seriously other people use their editing software but I always have parts of my project where it plays smoothly without proxies and parts where no consumer setup could play smoothly, so the wrong answer is always "more" and the solution is always to works within your systems limitations.

If you are budget and/or performance consious you build a PC - hackintosh or not. 

If you want the best portable solution you buy a gaming laptop, while for myriad reasons this is not the best of ideas. Especially if you realize that the best laptops for editing are desktop replacements, or need external GPUs, so defeat the purpose of buying a very small - and ultra expensive - device at the first time.