DJI Announcing Something New On The 28th

DBounce

8 minutes ago, Alex Uzan said:

If I have to be honest, my mainly concern is about the battery which only has a 400 cycle life.
To not be able to replace it is simply unaceptable on a 350€ product.

I thunk it's their biggest mistake on this V1, and it will hurt their reputation in one year or two.
Maybe less, since there are already complaints on their forum about overheating issues.

Yeah that's a Terrible design. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah but the negatives you state are present in every Smartphone, GoPro. Plenty of people seem to make them sort of work. I don't think for 350 bucks we are going to get, well hell I can''t think of anything that is great on all accounts, even if it is 50,000 bucks.

Hell according to lots of people on here the Z 7 kind of sucks at AF, the PK4 isn't going to win a shootout. No IBIS in it, the X-T3 seems gimpy with no IBIS. My iPhone XS gets hot when I do 4K for long periods. It is not so hot for IBIS either. Audio isn't as bad as the Osmo I guess, but is it great? Is in body audio good in the EOS-R, doubt it. We know it's not so hot in the Panny G80/85 with the IBIS whirring.

I am at a loss of words that any damn camera is worth a crap that i can think of, that just works out of the box, and it is  cheap, and any of the accessories you Have to buy are cheap as hell. It is an inexpensive item that works pretty amazingly well for the money I think. Is it Pro grade, no. Are most of the cameras people on here own themselves Pro grade, I doubt it.

I can't even afford right now to buy the Osmo Pocket.  I just bought a slide in truck camper. So I am not buying anything camera related. I can see your concerns. But for the money I would not have thought I was buying a, well we are back to what again is really worth a crap hand held, let alone that is cheap.

IMG_0075 (1).JPG

12 minutes ago, Alex Uzan said:

I’m not with you on this.

All products have flaws, that’s true. But flaws that could reduce the device life (overheating) with no possibility to replace the battery ? Hell no !

What about in 14 monthes if the battery dies when the warranty is over ?

Every battery for their Drones sucks ass for longevity. I am not surprised it isn't going to last to forever. But you really think you are going to keep it for 3 years. Well I guess you will have to send it in and have it replaced just like you have to on a Apple iPhone. I don't see people stop buying them because they can't change them.

Is it a great solution, hell no. But what else you going to buy to replace it that does what it does?? You really can't hand hold a GoPro. And the Hero 7 is terrible in low light.

I think for a first effort it is pretty good. Does it have warts, well yeah. I am sure version 2 will be a better product, and I am sure some Chinese company will come out with a clone that has a removable battery for 150 bucks.

4 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Every battery for their Drones sucks ass for longevity. I am not surprised it isn't going to last to forever. But you really think you are going to keep it for 3 years. Well I guess you will have to send it in and have it replaced just like you have to on a Apple iPhone. I don't see people stop buying them because they can't change them.

Is it a great solution, hell no. But what else you going to buy to replace it that does what it does?? You really can't hand hold a GoPro. And the Hero 7 is terrible in low light.

Will they offer the ability to replace the battery after the waranty ? I’m not sure. But if I’m wrong, that’s good news.

And you’re right, there is no substitude a this time, which offer as much as this size. 

I guess I will use my pocket camera that I have always with me (canon g7xII) to record video, not as well stabilized, but better indoor, with a great AF, and lots of good stuff as well.

Yeah the g7xII is a great camera. And I am just going to make do with my Apple XS I guess. I have a Stedicam Volt for it, and a Rode mike,  Moment Anamorphic, Tele lens, on and on, but that stuff is all a pain in the ass to carry, setup and use. That is the draw to me of the Osmo Pocket. it is just easier and simpler to use, cheaper also, and I doubt the output is that much worse other than the Anamorphic part to be honest on just casual stuff. And that is what I am using the iPhone for.

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah the g7xII is a great camera. And I am just going to make do with my Apple XS I guess. I have a Stedicam Volt for it, and a Rode mike,  Moment Anamorphic, Tele lens, on and on, but that stuff is all a pain in the ass to carry, setup and use. That is the draw to me of the Osmo Pocket. it is just easier and simpler to use, cheaper also, and I doubt the output is that much worse other than the Anamorphic part to be honest on just casual stuff. And that is what I am using the iPhone for.

Finally you are coming down to my words, this is a device that not a lot of people want/need, because most already buy a good camera phone, or have dedicated cameras a plenty (action cams, 360, crash cams, small mILS, compacts, e.t.c) or other DJI products.

The market for this thing is lesser than what you thought a month ago, and that is a fact.

I think you might have misread what I said. IF I had the money I would buy one, but I don't. Why do I want to hassle with a Gimbal when it has it in there. No Smartphone is worth a crap stability wise. And they are getting way to expensive to risk dropping. I would bet there were a good amount of them under the Christmas Tree this year, at least in this country. Is is perfect, heck no, but for the average person, maybe not most people on here, it is a Whole lot better solution than they have.

You act as if every time a person goes out they are shooting a Feature film. Why not just take footage to have fun. If you just go downtown, to the zoo, a walk along a river, a drive in the country, an amusement park on and on, it is all you need. Way better stabilized output than your phone, and it weighs even less than your phone. And it is more stealth than a phone even. I sure as hell am not walking around all those places using a g7xII, a Sony RX100, a M50, by the time you use them you might as well use a EM1 mk II or a Panny G9. Then you will stand out with all if them, and you have to look at the viewfinder, just like you do with a phone. And mess with lenses, bah no way. As a man you can just stick the Pocket in your front shirt pocket. I would bet every kid in the world would love one. A person's wife would like one. That is who will buy them, and why not. I doubt Steven Spielberg bought one. But you never know.

I am still convinced it is a pretty amazing item, useful when I am not trying to make something pretty amazing footage wise, which never happens by the way. So if it sucks, usually does, I can blame it on the Osmo. I can just say a person on here said it would happen by the name of  @Kisaha?

I have had my osmo pocket for a few days now, I bought it for an upcoming vacation to Greece as a fun, easy little pocket camera to film a family vacation video with. 

I took it with me on several shoots last week just to mess around with it — shot a motion timelapse setting up an interview, BTS b-roll, etc. — and I actually used it for some B-roll shots in a couple small community theater promos I'm working on (black and white, 2.35:1, adding film grain anyway) so the osmo shots actually cut right in without a problem. I really can't overstate the convenience of reaching into my jacket pocket and obtaining a little 4k 60p stabilized camera movement in just a second or two when I feel like it. 

I can already tell that this is going to be a super useful tool for me — yes, obviously the IQ is not up to stuff compared to a larger camera and gimbal setup, but for quick social media projects it is more than adequate in my opinion, and pretty fun to use. 

44 minutes ago, buggz said:

@Parker

How is the focusing?  I read it is difficult via the tiny LCD.

Can you use your phone to focus it?  I have android phone, Samsung S7.

I will primarily be using the pocket without the phone, just pulling it out for a quick shot or two. But I haven't had any problems with the tiny screen, it is fine for framing, and the shots I have looked at so far have not had any focus issues. 

I have just been using the continuous autofocus, but if you prefer to use single AF I think you can just single-tap the function button to refocus the camera as often as you want, I haven't tried this with my phone attached yet (I use a Galaxy S8) 

With the phone attached it is obviously much easier to use, and it is annoying that the settings cannot be changed at all unless the phone is attached, but having ND's mitigates this issue at least a little bit. 

7 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Really? I thought it was immediately clear the major difference between the other cameras 

Sure they are all different. They all have different Color Sciences, using different Codecs. But they all can do 4K, and if you grade them It would be hard to tell them apart if you grading them the same. 4K is 4K. And now even Smartphones have pretty decent DR. It's not like one of these cameras has 5, 6 stops better DR. It is down to 2 or 3 stops at most. DoF might be the only give away to be honest.

Tons of big time movies now use Drones, GoPros, etc. and it is hard to tell what is what anymore. Sure it is for short takes, but the playing field has leveled pretty big time if you have grading skills.

27 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Sure they are all different. They all have different Color Sciences, using different Codecs. But they all can do 4K, and if you grade them It would be hard to tell them apart if you grading them the same. 4K is 4K. And now even Smartphones have pretty decent DR. It's not like one of these cameras has 5, 6 stops better DR. It is down to 2 or 3 stops at most. DoF might be the only give away to be honest.

Tons of big time movies now use Drones, GoPros, etc. and it is hard to tell what is what anymore. Sure it is for short takes, but the playing field has leveled pretty big time if you have grading skills.

Have you ever tried to edit/grade all those cameras you are mentioning all the time? Seriously..

Even the Soderbergh iphone film that had a very good budget seemed exactly like a story shot from a phone camera.

Even the older Mavic that was a 1300$ machine last year, was almost unusable for pro work. Same with ALL the action cameras of last year (except maybe the 1" Sony, but I haven't used that one). Even the Mavic 2 Pro is barely usable (big difference vs the Phantom).

Also, a paradox, you except from someone that has a phone and a gopro to be a master of grading? Which means have spent a ton of money for education and practice (and hardware/software) but can not afford a 500$ mILC camera?

You have distanced yourself from the market so much, that you have crossed the other side!

And yes, you shot with a 1000$€£ phone that has a 10 years old videocamera quality (which is great anyway and I am all for it) but in the same time you buy a 1000$€£ camera that shoots cinematic raw. 

The lower of the low improves all the time, but the same goes for the middle and higher market. Pro grade stuff will be always be a few steps ahead, because it is a market, and there are too many professions/money/expectations involved.

58 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Have you ever tried to edit/grade all those cameras you are mentioning all the time? Seriously..

Even the Soderbergh iphone film that had a very good budget seemed exactly like a story shot from a phone camera.

Even the older Mavic that was a 1300$ machine last year, was almost unusable for pro work. Same with ALL the action cameras of last year (except maybe the 1" Sony, but I haven't used that one). Even the Mavic 2 Pro is barely usable (big difference vs the Phantom).

Also, a paradox, you except from someone that has a phone and a gopro to be a master of grading? Which means have spent a ton of money for education and practice (and hardware/software) but can not afford a 500$ mILC camera?

You have distanced yourself from the market so much, that you have crossed the other side!

And yes, you shot with a 1000$€£ phone that has a 10 years old videocamera quality (which is great anyway and I am all for it) but in the same time you buy a 1000$€£ camera that shoots cinematic raw. 

The lower of the low improves all the time, but the same goes for the middle and higher market. Pro grade stuff will be always be a few steps ahead, because it is a market, and there are too many professions/money/expectations involved.

Your crazy as hell. This is 2019 not 2009. You could not have dreamed 5 years ago what we have available today. What the hell does edit have to do with quality between cameras. You need help. The sun done got to your head. All that audio work has messed with the stuff between your ears. 10 years behind, you are funny as hell. I think you are the one that is 10 years behind.

16 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Your crazy as hell. This is 2019 not 2009. You could not have dreamed 5 years ago what we have available today. What the hell does edit have to do with quality between cameras. You need help. The sun done got to your head. All that audio work has messed with the stuff between your ears. 10 years behind, you are funny as hell. I think you are the one that is 10 years behind.

that must be explain it then. Thank you.

See how easy that was to resolve. I am not implying you are going to make a full blown feature film with a Pocket Osmo or my iPhone XS that looks like a Arri Alexa. It is that they can make good looking video for the average person that meets nearly all their requirements. Yeah 10 years ago camcorder footage sucked ass compared to film or a Sony F65. Not the gap is not so huge. With skill it is pretty damn small. Why won't you accept that. I look at footage nearly all day on YouTube. It is rare as hell on there to see Any footage that sucks, hell most of it is really not that bad. And 98% of it is taken with GoPros, Drones, Smatphones, Cheaper low end Canon DLSRs. I don't have a clue what you expect, perfection? AIn't the way the world works, sorry. Most people, including even me could give a shit whether it was shot on a cellphone or a Arri Alexa. It's the story, it's what I am interested in that day, or week.  People and cameras now have gotten pretty damn good lately.  Things have changed pretty big time.

One thing to remind about the Osmo Pocket.

If I agree with webrunner with the fact that the Osmo Pocket is unique, and there is nothing on the market to replace it, that’s not a reason to forgetthat there is a lot of AF issues that make this device unreliable.

Go read yourself the Dji Forum threads, and you will be surprised,