Nikon Z7 is at EOSHD HQ - better video than Sony?

Andrew Reid

It's nice enough, but really hard to get too much understanding as to how the skin tones will grade... It's almost like they uploaded the log video with no grade (maybe they did?). There is also cold blue/green cast on all the footage i've seen. Hopefully this can be dialed out with manual white balance. 

Like I say, i'm not bashing it... I really want to be blown away as it could be near perfect for me. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This camera, the Z7 also cost $3,396.95. More than Twice the price of a Fuji X-T3. More than Half again as much as a Sony A7 mk III. Out of the reach of a heck of a lot of people.

But I do realize it is their top end Mirrorless unlike the Canon EOS R is. Yes the Sony A7r MK III is up there also, as I am sure the new A7s mk III will be also. Then there is the Sony A9, Gulp! But way cheaper than a true Cine camera, and if you are making a living with it, it is peanuts with the write offs you get.

The two cameras you mention should really be compared to the Z6 .... comparable cost to the A7iii and the X-T3.

After comparing all three (Z 7) and about to buy a GH5s I ended up with the Z 7 ... as a second camera to my Leica SL.

Sold a bunch of rangefinder stuff to afford it ... now making the transition to new HDMI cable XQD reader Smallrig cage and picked up 

a 50 1.2 AIS ... historically my third. Looks like Novoflex will have 10 adapters coming shortly. Need one for my M and R lenses.

Hoping for a couple of days to get some 10bit log to look at color.

Really only had time to play with AF in stills which seems good enough for my needs ... as I normally shoot MF

and will use it for interviews and potential gimbal shoots.

I have the Function 1 button set for WB and can set a custom balance with an Expodisc on the fly without taking my eye from the VF.

Higher iso and dynamic range seem very good ... if the output approaches that of the SL at lower iso I will be pleased.

34 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

It's nice enough, but really hard to get too much understanding as to how the skin tones will grade... It's almost like they uploaded the log video with no grade (maybe they did?). There is also cold blue/green cast on all the footage i've seen. Hopefully this can be dialed out with manual white balance. 

Like I say, i'm not bashing it... I really want to be blown away as it could be near perfect for me. 

Custom WB solves that ... and even then setting a bit warmer K value is helpful.

5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

This camera, the Z7 also cost $3,396.95. More than Twice the price of a Fuji X-T3. More than Half again as much as a Sony A7 mk III. Out of the reach of a heck of a lot of people.

But I do realize it is their top end Mirrorless unlike the Canon EOS R is. Yes the Sony A7r MK III is up there also, as I am sure the new A7s mk III will be also. Then there is the Sony A9, Gulp! But way cheaper than a true Cine camera, and if you are making a living with it, it is peanuts with the write offs you get.

The Z7 is a very specialized high megapixel camera that does video. The Z6 is clearly the ideal allrounder hybrid  photo/video camera. Perhaps if Nikon would have lauch only the z7 we could have compared it to the other cameras. But when you think about it, its a full frame camera for only 400-500 usd more. I think it is very very competitive.

Little example of IBIS

For $3,396.95 you can damn near buy a used Sony FS5!  These new Canon's Nikon's are only going to stand out if you buy into their new lens system. Damn between a new body and a couple of lenses you are into some serious money. And what if down the road they end up being a turd?  Shutter Shock like the A7r had. They never fixed that other than never shooting at a certain shutter speed on a tripod, or hanging an Anvil off of it. I know, I had one. These are both Canon and Nikon's first effort, first try. No way they can be awesome, trouble free. You are the Guinea Pig for them.

Nikon has not had the best record as of late for Quality Control I can tell you that. From the D800 on it has been Damn interesting. I'll let you try it out. I used to be a big Nikon fan, used a lot of their stuff 30 years ago. I would not buy any used Nikon stuff, I would be afraid it would be a clunker someone was trying to dump off. Yeah that is my view of them sad to say.

6 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

For $3,396.95 you can damn near buy a used Sony FS5!  These new Canon's Nikon are only going to stand out if you buy into their new lens system. Damn between a new body and a couple of lenses you are into some serious money. And what if down the road they end up being a turd?  Shutter Shock like the A7r had. They never fixed that other than never shooting at a certain shutter speed on a tripod, or hanging an Anvil off of it. I know, I had one. These are both Canon and Nikon's first effort, first try. No way they can be awesome, trouble free. You are the Guinea Pig for them.

Nikon has not had the best record as of late for Quality Control I can tell you that. From the D800 on it has been Damn interesting. I'll let you try it out. I used to be a big Nikon fan, not so much anymore.

Again, compare apples to apples. This is primarily a studio landscape photo camera with very good video. Its competitors would be medium format cameras that would cost 2 to 5 times more. For what it is for a studio fashion landscape photographer it is very good value to money.

7 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

Again, compare apples to apples. This is primarily a studio landscape photo camera with very good video. Its competitors would be medium format cameras that would cost 2 to 5 times more. For what it is for a studio fashion landscape photographer it is very good value to money.

Very true if you have the money and it doesn't end up being a dog. I can't argue your points if it works. If, that is the scary part.  When you are in business you can't afford to use un proven stuff. That is a Huge risk.  Your talking a new camera and new lenses. But no Balls no Blue Chips as they say. ?

13 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Not with that hybrid combo though, Don... ; ) It is a pity to not have 4K/60p, no sense at all : -(

Well I think we are all asking for way too much in a body this small. Someone is going to have to pull a Panasonic and just make a bigger body. For FF it will have to be even bigger than that. Look what even the PK4 is. Huge body with a Fan. And from what I have read it gets hot as heck yet. And from the looks of it it is going to be scary easy to block the exhaust port on the bottom accidentally. And heat rises, it seems to me they got it ass backwards!

I don't see the thing working out on a tripod for a 3 hour shoot continuous. Not counting the car battery to run it, and the raid system to capture all the data! Oh I can't wait for 8K LoL. I am sure women over 19 years old will just Love modeling for that resolution!

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

For $3,396.95 you can damn near buy a used Sony FS5!  These new Canon's Nikon's are only going to stand out if you buy into their new lens system. Damn between a new body and a couple of lenses you are into some serious money. And what if down the road they end up being a turd?  Shutter Shock like the A7r had. They never fixed that other than never shooting at a certain shutter speed on a tripod, or hanging an Anvil off of it. I know, I had one. These are both Canon and Nikon's first effort, first try. No way they can be awesome, trouble free. You are the Guinea Pig for them.

Nikon has not had the best record as of late for Quality Control I can tell you that. From the D800 on it has been Damn interesting. I'll let you try it out. I used to be a big Nikon fan, used a lot of their stuff 30 years ago. I would not buy any used Nikon stuff, I would be afraid it would be a clunker someone was trying to dump off. Yeah that is my view of them sad to say.

I looked at a FS5 M ii ... old sensor pretty noisy at higher ISOs ... add an external Raw recorder and might work until the new M III shows up.

Have had the Z 7 for a couple of days ... was able to get a bit of time with it this afternoon. 

Nothing special ... just looking at color from the N Log. The following is shot at 3200 ISO ... very dark rainy day ... no noise reduction ... 

I will take the haptics, size, color and weather sealing over the Sny any day. Not as robust as my Leica SL but I look forward to adapting my

R and L lenses to this camera.

https://vimeo.com/294245506

Password : daysend

Yes I love blacks to be black ... and colors to match what I see in nature ... so not cinematic ... no teal and brown.

So it may not be awesome ... but I have seen much worse.

7 minutes ago, docmoore said:

Nothing special ... just looking at color from the N Log. The following is shot at 3200 ISO ... very dark rainy day ... no noise reduction ... 

I will take the haptics, size, color and weather sealing over the Sny any day. Not as robust as my Leica SL but I look forward to adapting my

Yes I love blacks to be black ... and colors to match what I see in nature ... so not cinematic ... no teal and brown.

Wow looks really nice. Grass a little too hot on my monitor, but wow a nice 3D look with the lens, and yeah good old, great looking Nikon colors. N9ce recorder. That rig ought to work out well for you. Bit of envy no doubt. Grats.

16 minutes ago, docmoore said:

I looked at a FS5 M ii ... old sensor pretty noisy at higher ISOs ... add an external Raw recorder and might work until the new M III shows up.

Have had the Z 7 for a couple of days ... was able to get a bit of time with it this afternoon. 

Looks very nice actually. Can you please do some tests when the sun is out - I want to see the highlight response with 10 bit nlog. 

18 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

Looks very nice actually. Can you please do some tests when the sun is out - I want to see the highlight response with 10 bit nlog. 

Texas is guaranteed to give us some sun ... and I will post what I find. Not really into tests per se ... rather looking for a workflow that is

reproducible and realistic. Never been into jumping through hoops of fire to exaggerate the evanescent beauty of the moment. 

But yes ... when I get this dialed in I will look at how it responds to extremes of dynamic range. However, I tend to protect highlights and 

raise shadows ... so may not apply to others workflow.

Thanks,

Bob

1 hour ago, docmoore said:

Texas is guaranteed to give us some sun ... and I will post what I find. Not really into tests per se ... rather looking for a workflow that is

reproducible and realistic. Never been into jumping through hoops of fire to exaggerate the evanescent beauty of the moment. 

But yes ... when I get this dialed in I will look at how it responds to extremes of dynamic range. However, I tend to protect highlights and 

raise shadows ... so may not apply to others workflow.

Thanks,

Bob

Thanks. Just cause no one really has any experience with the nlog so it will be nice to see how the highlight rolloff is when you are exposing for the shade. 

7 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

The Z7 is a very specialized high megapixel camera that does video. The Z6 is clearly the ideal allrounder hybrid  photo/video camera. Perhaps if Nikon would have lauch only the z7 we could have compared it to the other cameras. But when you think about it, its a full frame camera for only 400-500 usd more. I think it is very very competitive.

That is my attitude about the Z7 discussions, it is all absolutely fascinating because it gives an insight as to what the Z6 will be. Which is the camera that will be of most interest to many videographers here on EOSHD over the Z7 (unless they're either a hardcore photographer as well, and/or just want the latest right now and can't wait. Or just are Mr Moneybags!)

But I'm holding out hopes Nikon won't ignore DX mirrorless. Because an APS-C Z6 for $1.2K? (D7500 pricing, but mirrorless and updated with full sensor 4K read out and 10bit output with N Log)

Yes please. 

24 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Why not an APS-C Z6 for $800? ?

Trying to keep my hopes in check!
Guessing a DX mirrorless (with the specs I'm hoping for) around the D7500 price is much much more likely than one priced nearer a D5600 price. (but if so, that would be awesome!)