Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
24 minutes ago, frontfocus said:

i‘d love to see a video of that, neber have I seen 10 bit hevc encoding lightning fast on pc components

Just exported a 5min sequence with all X-T3 4K 100Mbps HEVC clips to 7Mbps 10bit HEVC using "hardware encoding" option in Premiere. The export took 7min03sec, using Intel Iris Plus 640 iGPU.

8 hours ago, frontfocus said:

no waveforms on the camera. Focus peaking: set the camera to manual focus. In the video menu look for MF assist and set it to focus peak highlight. You can change the color and intensity 

thanks i did selected peaking then. it is just that you don't see it. can't believe how bad it is. i miss my 5D mkII with magic lantern for focus peaking

i hope they will implement a waveform in a future firmware

14 hours ago, Ingerson said:

Kind of a noobish question here, but what exactly are the computer specs needed to edit and export the 10-bit HEVC files?

I know the latest Intels have hardware acceleration, but I'm lost in the tech lingo and find a lot of conflicting info of what exactly is hardware accelerated: 8-bit only or 10-bit DEcoding but software only on ENcoding, GPU renders on the timeline and CPU on export, etc. I'm also a Mac person and some say that the OS is the bottleneck...

So what do I need to transcode and export 10-bit HEVC with reasonable speed? Mac or Windows doesn't matter. If I can edit natively in FCPX (time to upgrade my 2013 MBP anyway) I'd be more than happy, but if building a Hackintosh or PC with Windows to transcode to Prores (finally Adobe!) and double as a HTPC as well, that's fine.

6 hours ago, androidlad said:

In Premiere CC 2019, with compatible Intel CPU or Nvidia GPU/NVENC, 10bit HEVC decoding and encoding are lightning fast.

That's what I have, and it works very well. 

However, I made proxies to make the editing in Adobe Premiere Pro faster. 

That worked quite well the last time I edited a 90+ minute video with DCI 4K, 400 Mb/s. Huge [repeat, HUGE file!]

I posted my setup someplace here in the forums. Let me see if I can find it and just paste it in.

The great thing about my setup is that it is very portable. I can take it on the plane easily carry-on. 

Here it is: 

I have an external GPU for my laptop. I added this to speed up rendering video files in Adobe Premiere Pro, once I started working with H.265 HEVC about a year ago. It made a huge improvement in the time rendering files when doing export media in Adobe Premiere Pro. My system: Lenovo Yoga 920-131Kb, 16 GB Ram, Intel i7-8550U, CPU 1.80 GHz - 1.99 GHz, Quad Core, x-64 bit processor. Internal GPU is on the motherboard. Intel UHD Graphics 620.  EGPU is  Aorus Gaming Box with NVIDIA 1080 GTX graphics card, 8 GB Ram. Very portable system, works well with Adobe Premiere Pro CC, H.265 HEVC files. All of it no more than one year old. Have a few scratch disks including external Samsung 1 TB SSD plus internal SSD hard drive, 4 K screen on the laptop plus 40" 4K Samsung TV for an external monitor. The TV is not very portable, of course. Everything else can go on the plane easily in my carry-on. 

4 hours ago, frontfocus said:

i‘d love to see a video of that, neber have I seen 10 bit hevc encoding lightning fast on pc components

I would love to see it lightning fast too! Maybe in 2019? 

I guess I need to upgrade my computer a bit :) unless I transcode. In theory, what do I need for smooth editing of these files? 

My home computer is strugling...the gpu is fairly new, the 1060. Cpu is pretty antient, one of the first i7 8 core I think.

Runs fine the 4k raw, but this is a different story altogether :)

Prores, because I need to transcode before that. I thought we were over that about a decade ago :)

same goes for the proxies...I will not be using this camera for feature films anytime soon, it is a hoby camera.

My computer is in need of an upgrade anyway, so why not get it ready for future consumer cameras, which will most likely be h.265.

On 12/18/2018 at 2:37 PM, Ingerson said:

Kind of a noobish question here, but what exactly are the computer specs needed to edit and export the 10-bit HEVC files?

I know the latest Intels have hardware acceleration, but I'm lost in the tech lingo and find a lot of conflicting info of what exactly is hardware accelerated: 8-bit only or 10-bit DEcoding but software only on ENcoding, GPU renders on the timeline and CPU on export, etc. I'm also a Mac person and some say that the OS is the bottleneck...

So what do I need to transcode and export 10-bit HEVC with reasonable speed? Mac or Windows doesn't matter. If I can edit natively in FCPX (time to upgrade my 2013 MBP anyway) I'd be more than happy, but if building a Hackintosh or PC with Windows to transcode to Prores (finally Adobe!) and double as a HTPC as well, that's fine.

I have an i7 MBP with GeForce 750M from 2013 and the combination of 10bit/HEVC brings it to it's knees. I haven't developed a workflow yet, but I will need to start to use proxys. It made a lot of difference in FCP X if the output was 4K (it worked better) or if it was less than 4K (it worked worse, probably having to resize the image sucks some CPU/GPU crunch).

4 minutes ago, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

I have an i7 MBP with GeForce 750M from 2013 and the combination of 10bit/HEVC brings it to it's knees. I haven't developed a workflow yet, but I will need to start to use proxys. It made a lot of difference in FCP X if the output was 4K (it worked better) or if it was less than 4K (it worked worse, probably having to resize the image sucks some CPU/GPU crunch).

I had a 15" 2018 MBP maxed out and it would die with my mavic air h.264 footage.