Wide angle lens for Panasonic GX85 | Help

JackHorror

Hallo,

I want to buy wide angle lens for Panasonic,

Could someone Help me with that/suggest a good wide angle?

Till now i think to buy one of those, but reviews on them varies.

• Samyang 12mm f/2.0 NCS CS (MFT)
  • Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN (Micro Four Thirds (MFT)
  • Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm
  • Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm f/1.7 ASPH

Thank you!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Same as @jonpais, could you give us some background for recommendation? It's hard to tell without knowing your situation and intended use.

That being said, I really like the Panasonic 7-14mm. The IQ might not the best compared to the Sigma prime or the fancy Olympus but the price is right and the lens is very small and light. I use it mostly for gimbal work. Sharpness is more than enough to resolve the 8mpx of 4k footage. It has AF but not stabilization.

I also love my Samyang 12mm f/2.0 NCS CS (MFT) . Small, light, good IQ and very cheap but there is no AF. It's a good alternative to the ridiculously expensive Lumix 12mm f/1.4 ($1,300)

I don't like the Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm f/1.7 ASPH as it doesn't shine is any category. Not the widest nor the fastest, kind of "weird" focal, feels a bit cheap. The price is ok.

Finally the Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN (MFT) is great but a bit on the heavy side. I would pick this one any day over the Leica 15mm f/1.7. Better, sharper, cheaper, and faster.

6 minutes ago, JackHorror said:

@jonpais Budget around 500€, Mainly video, I was just searching for wide angle lens on google for my budget, Panasonic gx85, i am not shure about AF, just want to find a good AF or MF on that budget and then choose one.

@OliKMIA "is great but a bit on the heavy side" you are talking about the weight of that lens?

Yes, it's a bit heavy but nothing dramatic unless you plan on using it on a small gimbal (it will make the lens front heavy but the Gx85 is light). For 500 euro you can pick the Samyang or the Sigma. It depends about your priority: wider or faster.

I don't have a specific subject, i own a panasonic 14-140mm, yes i am thinking of buying a gimbal, pulling focus no, vlogging no.

Also is there a difference between the mm for example of my panasonic 14mm-140mm vs a 14mm wide angle lens?

(I am talking about the 14mm on a normal vs wide angle lens)

It's hard to recommend anything without knowing what you need Jack.

Personally, 14mm isn't wide enough for me, so Sigma 16mm and Pana 15mm are out of the gate. Pana 7-14 is great but it's pretty dark at f/4. I'd go with Samy 12mm f/2 for that sweet f2 aperture, good build quality and overall great sharpness. 

You might also consider the Laowa 7.5mm f/2 or speedboosting a Tokina 11-20 f/2.8

13 hours ago, JackHorror said:
  • Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm f4
  • Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm f/1.7 ASPH

There is a HUGE difference between a 15mm and a 7mm lens
Also a HUGE difference between a f4 and a f1.7 lens!

You might want to be clearer in what is it that you want?

Also are you sure you want a MFT lens? Many people like myself prefer to adapt lenses, for instance I'd use a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 (Nikon F mount) on a focal reducer

54 minutes ago, JackHorror said:

Also is there a difference between the mm for example of my panasonic 14mm-140mm vs a 14mm wide angle lens?

(I am talking about the 14mm on a normal vs wide angle lens)

No. Of course not! (in terms of FoV that is)

14mm is the same as 14mm

How about Viltrox EF-M2 adapter + Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM (modded to fit EF mount)? Cheapest ultra wide angle AF + IS combo out there.

Just sold my Sigma as it was too big for photos, but I may buy it back once the BMPCC 4K comes out and I start doing video again. I find it wide enough and it is an improvement over the PL15mm, but if you dont need the wider aperture (thinner DOF and better low light) then I would get the 15mm.

Or for your budget you could get both the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 and Panasonic 20mm f1.7. Both little pancakes but think of the 20mm as a manual focus lens.  I want the extra aperture so if I don't re-buy the Sigma I may get the Samyang 21mm F1.4 or T1.5 cine version. The 14mm and 15mm lenses can be a bit boring with your zoom starting at 14mm. If you go a bit narrower like 21mm or 20mm you get more bokeh, or if you get an f1.4 you get that and better low light. Or you can go ultra wide with the 7-14mm or 9-18mm, which sound fun.

I own most of these ha ha.

The 7-14 is a great lens, though the f/4 isn't ideal and you're not able to add any filters easily. Even in video the auto focus isn't a problem, mostly because everything is in focus due to the aperture. It doesn't have a ton of distortion (though it does have a little) at the wide end, which is really nice. I wish it were weather sealed though! 

The Sigma 16 mm is a beautiful lens, possibly the sharpest native MFT lens ever, however you might find instances where it simply isn't wide enough. 

The Samyang/Rokinon 12 mm is a great lens, though it's fully manual. It also might not be wide enough for you all the time.

I don't have the 15 mm.

The Laowa 7.5 mm might be a good option, depending on how wide you want. I don't own it but have seen a few videos on it. 

On 8/1/2018 at 1:49 PM, Adam Kuźniar said:

You might also consider the Laowa 7.5mm f/2

I use the  PL15/f1.7 and the Laowa 7.5/f2 (and the 45-175 zoom) with my GX80 as a very small travel package.  All lenses have the same 46mm filter size, so I used the same step-up to my 58mm NDs.  On the Laowa, I get some obvious vignetting due to my filters and magnetic adaptors - will look at that for next time. 

I have an example when I'm walking with the 7.5mm using the GX80 IBIS - I was carrying a lot of beach stuff and probably could do better.

Here are some unedited (4k 25fps 1/50s shutter, AWB) screen grabs shooting Cine-D from the 15mm (first 4) and 7.5mm (second 4).

15mm-4.jpeg

15mm-3.jpeg

15mm-2.jpeg

15mm-1.jpeg

7mm-4.jpeg

7mm-3.jpeg

7mm-2.jpeg

7mm-1.jpeg

I have been using the Panasonic 14mm paired with the sony Sony VCL-ECU1 wide angle adapter and it's been awesome!

I also recently purchased the SLR Magic 8mm f/4 which I'm liking so far, but haven't had a lot of time with it.

I took the Panny 14mm/Sony VCL combo on a Europe trip this spring as my go to wide and it did not disappoint. Great combo for cheap

im interested in the voigtlander 10.5 too (which gets even wider on the gh5s with the reduced crop factor) - its a lens that is surprisingly un loved on line though. Right now I use the Olympus 7-14 and its great - but it has to be locked down - even on the gh5 / Gx85 the IS does not play well with the super wide angle - i think IBIS and super wide angles dont play well as the lenses are actually really sensitive to making small moves look big (i know its counter intuitive) - the sweet spot for wides on IBIS seems to be around 12-15 mm

7 minutes ago, Matt Holder said:

im interested in the voigtlander 10.5 too (which gets even wider on the gh5s with the reduced crop factor) - its a lens that is surprisingly un loved on line though. Right now I use the Olympus 7-14 and its great - but it has to be locked down - even on the gh5 / Gx85 the IS does not play well with the super wide angle - i think IBIS and super wide angles dont play well as the lenses are actually really sensitive to making small moves look big (i know its counter intuitive) - the sweet spot for wides on IBIS seems to be around 12-15 mm

I haven't noticed an issue with the Panasonic 7-14, wonder if it's because you're using an Olympus lens?