4DX Films

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

This is probably a bit low brow on populist for most of you ;) but anyway....

So I went to see Jurassic World in 4DX the other night.

Not a great film but definitely a great experience.

I don't really know what I was expecting, maybe just a bit of motion rumbling in the seat and a few gimmicks of the odd tiny blast of air and a bit of water but it was way beyond that.

Of course, its not going to work with every film type but with something like Jurassic World you've already left any pretence of high brow at the door anyway so if you're going to go for it then you might as well really go for it.

The range of movement in the chair was way beyond what I was expecting both in distance and velocity which made every crash or shock point really shake you but I was also surprised at the subtlety that really put you inside the aerial shots and also when the camera was tilting up to reveal something.

The air jets coming from the front were obviously good for weather stuff but the ones in the head rest were very effective for bullet fly bys but the big surprise where the ones behind your calfs which they used to simulate little creatures running around your ankles.

And honestly, the rain effects with the water spray were fantastic !

As an old cynic, I shouldn't really be getting excited by this stuff but I had an absolute whale of a time as did everyone else in there. Its a long time since I've left the cinema and people have seemed as euphoric as that. 

And that is with what is a decidedly iffy film as well.

Also, as I've said before on here, we really all did give up on 3D too soon.

I would love for Spielberg to do a version of Saving Private Ryan for 4DX as it would lend itself very well to the inclusive immersion aspects.

Flame away ;)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's the entertainment industry.  There's room for exquisite art, but let's not forget that fart jokes are also very popular, and there's nothing wrong with that - in fact they keep lots of people employed.

Good write up - it sounds interesting :)

• Super Members
7 hours ago, kye said:

It's the entertainment industry.  There's room for exquisite art, but let's not forget that fart jokes are also very popular, and there's nothing wrong with that - in fact they keep lots of people employed.

I forgot to mention that it does scent release as well.

So, yeah, if you want fart jokes then they can do a very decent dinosaur one complete with wind, movement and smell !

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

What kind of money did it cost to go to it? That can't be cheap to do.

It was the same price as the usual IMAX 3D ticket.

They make double the money on the drinks and snacks though as most of your initial purchases end up all over you the first time the seat lurches while you're slurping your coke and munching your popcorn !

• 2 weeks later...

This probably makes more sense to go in the direction of than 360VR for a proper immersive experience for a whole crowd to enjoy. Wonder what the workflow is for it, probably a big lack of standardizations and market penetration at the moment. 

I've wanted to go see something in 4DX twice lately. SOLO and Jurassic World. First time my friends found it too expensive for something that seems a bit gimmicky (here it's like almost double the price of a regular 3D showing). Second time I had work on the showing date (4DX in Original Version (OV) only gets shown like once and I can't watch movies dubbed in German, I tried, but I just can't stand it).

As a youngster I was in Disneyland Paris and they had 'Honey, I Shrunk The Audience' in their Kodak Theatre (I vividly remember Cyndi Lauper's 'True Colors' playing whilst waiting in line). You know how 3D is always advertised as if it comes out of the screen and you can touch it?! Well, back then it really felt like that was the case! You'd duck if something came flying at ya. (Nowadays it feels more like looking through a window. Sure everything outside of a window is 3D, but it's like distanced and layered depth, you don't really feel immersed in that world at all. But I'm sure not much has changed to make it less effective, it probably just had been hella impressive to a lil' kid never having experienced anything of the kind (well, some stereoscopic anaglyph stuff perhaps). Or maybe they had actually shot it with a 'safety margin', displaying a crop of the footage allowing for action to be projected outside of the perceived dimensions of the frame making it really 'pop' from the background.) Of course there were mice that escaped and you felt something tickle your legs. A dog would sneeze in yo face! It was quite the experience.

I've kinda been scared to try 4DX. I'm afraid it in fact IS gimmicky and would be super disappointing. Possibly because I've been on like supposed 4D rides where they basically just show you a YT video (examples below) whilst being seated on a secured bench that tilts, rolls and vibrates; where the motion seems to have been added randomly (feels hugely out of place) and it really feels super gimmicky and adds nothing.

or something like:

But... I guess it depends. That was very crappy integration. Seems you can do a lot with 4DX:

But they really need to have the implementation make sense. You kinda almost have to make the movie with the mindset you will be showing it in 4DX, rather than it being an afterthought. Then I believe it might be an experience like it was to me like 20 years ago. Do think Jurassic World is one of the movies this would be perfect for. Definitely will give 4DX a shot after having read you had quite the time yourself... I just have to hope I don't have to work and can find a couple of friends to join in (I'll lure them with 'free' popcorn perhaps) next time they've got something OV showing. I do love an experience out of a movie, so I'm not one to 'wait for it to be on Netflix' (I may or may not however download certain things I expect to be too crappy to go watch in cinemas). Went to London especially to see The Hobbit at the ODEON BFI IMAX (yeah, I did hate the HFR making stuff look so fake). We saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens locally at UCI Kino's iSens cinema for having the biggest screen in the country, 23.1 Dolby Atmos 3D surround sound by IMM Sound and all seats being VIP comfort level. Though I'm not sure much can top The Hateful Eight that came to town as the special Panavision Super 70 Roadshow. Guess modern trickery can't win from good ol' film... but if you manage expections, you'll probably find a way to enjoy yourself nontheless. ;)

There's a VR company around here that did some pop-ups.

k9bKzko.jpg

Now they have their own place going on in our largest mall that they've set up for VR gaming and videos. Only walked passed it, I've also kind of put a label 'gimmick' on VR (after having been the Google Cardboard (and more refined smartphone VR goggles) route myself), but maybe I should give it a fair try.

- Hum, I happen to be in Los Angeles on the 15th next month. Might have to take you up on that recommendation and check it out.

• Super Members
8 hours ago, Cinegain said:

I've kinda been scared to try 4DX. I'm afraid it in fact IS gimmicky and would be super disappointing. Possibly because I've been on like supposed 4D rides where they basically just show you a YT video (examples below) whilst being seated on a secured bench that tilts, rolls and vibrates; where the motion seems to have been added randomly (feels hugely out of place) and it really feels super gimmicky and adds nothing.

But... I guess it depends. That was very crappy integration. Seems you can do a lot with 4DX:

But they really need to have the implementation make sense. You kinda almost have to make the movie with the mindset you will be showing it in 4DX, rather than it being an afterthought. 

There were times it felt like being on a ride (at the right times through chases and so on) but there was also a lot of subtlety going on as well with drone and crane shots.

If its used to add these sorts of accents to "real" films as opposed to being shot from the get go as a 4DX thrill ride then its a great addition to the right film.

And it has to be the right film, its not going to work on everything but for films where you've already signed up to leave any arthouse sensibilities at the door then you might as well go all in and get rained on as well !

I still keep coming back though to how interesting it might be to have 4DX re-releases of films like Saving Private Ryan where I think it would actually be incredible.

• Super Members
9 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

I just went to THE VOID in downtown Disney in California two days ago and MAN IT WAS LIFE CHANGING!!

The VR + interactive nature of it was truly magical. I cant believe it. Cant recommend it enough to anyone who has an opportunity to go 

https://www.thevoid.com/dimensions/starwars/secretsoftheempire/

That looks amazing.

I played something similar (but less sophisticated) at Sega in Tokyo called Mortal Blitz.

Never have I been so utterly convinced that I was fighting monsters on a space ship whilst actually in reality only walking around 50 square metres of grey carpet!

Right at the end there is a section where you have to run across a narrow pipe to get to safety and whilst you should know full well that the drop into the abyss on either side of it poses no danger it doesn't stop you tip toeing across it like a cat.

Its hilarious to watch other people play it after you've played it (its in an open space at the top of the arcade) and everyone does the same thing at the end !

8 hours ago, Cinegain said:

There's a VR company around here that did some pop-ups.

Now they have their own place going on in our largest mall that they've set up for VR gaming and videos. Only walked passed it, I've also kind of put a label 'gimmick' on VR (after having been the Google Cardboard (and more refined smartphone VR goggles) route myself), but maybe I should give it a fair try.

We have a VR arcade here that is setup for multiplayer and they put each of you in a separate curtained off area that has the motion detectors to track your movement.

The games themselves are probably not what you would class as AAA titles on a console but when you are in the moment playing with a few friends you are completely absorbed and it is a lot of (expensive) fun.

I've mentioned before but there is a VR "cinema" that I went to in Amsterdam (basically just some headsets and swivel chairs) and I watched a couple of documentary shorts that it really did work very well for. 

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Never have I been so utterly convinced that I was fighting monsters on a space ship whilst actually in reality only walking around 50 square metres of grey carpet!

Right at the end there is a section where you have to run across a narrow pipe to get to safety and whilst you should know full well that the drop into the abyss on either side of it poses no danger it doesn't stop you tip toeing across it like a cat.

I've been in VR experiences which I myself helped create (did the photos for the photogrammetry to create the 3D models for VR) and it still can be a spooky feeling even for myself!

• Super Members
57 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I've been in VR experiences which I myself helped create (did the photos for the photogrammetry to create the 3D models for VR) and it still can be a spooky feeling even for myself!

I got a PSVR after my arcade VR experiences and nearly wet myself playing Resident Evil on it.

As have a lot of people