Sony Rx100 VI with full sensor 4K & HLG

salim

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* 24-200mm F2.8 – F4.5 Large Aperture  

Wish they'd gone for a shorter zoom range and faster F stop like the earlier models. 

And STILL no mic input. Sigh. 
The RX100 line up would be so perfect as a vlog machine if only it had a mic input to go with a flip up screen

29 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

And STILL no mic input. Sigh

They also announced a new hand grip and it would have been nice to added the mic there, maybe. But yeah that mic omission is sad 

• Super Members
20 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Doesn't Sony have a hotshoe mic?

They have a stereo mic for cameras that use the Multi Interface Shoe and also a dual XLR interface that does too.

1256534154_1106201414025005690d4a6a565c00ecfcdd57ce5c42100b2d.thumb.jpg.c462255c6b24b9af032c7f4df694f34e.jpg

So you can use these on lot of their cameras to add decent audio but they stopped including the Multi Interface Shoe from the Mark III version of the RX100 onwards.

To be fair, it is about twice the size of the camera though, so I suppose they envisage it being more appropriate to the RX10.

Would've been nice to have the option though.

4 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

On the upside it shoots 24fps RAW !!!!

But yeah the tradeoff of aperture diameter for range and lack of mic input is not good. 

They will still be selling the mark 5, if you need a camera with a larger aperture. The mark 5 is a very capable little camera, especially since it has vastly better AF capabilities compared to earlier models. The mark 6 is less of an improvement outside of the zoom for most applications a camera like this would be used in IMO.

3 hours ago, ryne275 said:

Wow, no 4K/60? Why? My $1K iPhone can do it

Processors.

I guess the demand/market for cameras like this is more reach, as the RX10 and now the RX100 both sacrificed speed on the wide end for a longer zoom range. They've gone from a compact an advanced shooter would carry to an all-in-one compact to try and attract the superzoom shoppers. Pour one out for the RX100 series, its now been neutered to have a longer zoom while losing its appeal to enthusiasts. The large sensor compact fad seems to have passed. Its been two years since the mkV after a string of annual updates, I bet this camera is the last of the RX100 line until something revolutionary happens on the sensor side.

I still dream of that Nikon DL with the 18-50/1.8.-2.8, I have an ebay alert in case one of the functioning show cameras escapes from Nikon....

Chris

• Administrators

How many iterations before they fix the fiddly ergonomics?

The price goes up with every model.

Current pricing vs old models:

RX100: $350
RX100 II: $550
RX100 III: $650
RX100 IV: $750
RX100 V: $850
RX100 IV : $1200

$1200 is some serious cash for a compact point & shoot, with a slower lens than the direct predecessor.

But on the positive side... Impressively small lens given the range.

I wonder if it will destroy sales of the RX10 line.

Dumb move Sony.

Yep that camera is really expensive. If they had included a mic input and the fast f/1.8 I would seriously think of spending the cash, but as is , the camera is a hard sell for video.

I believe there is still market for large sensor compacts. 1"-m4/3 sensors are quite unique in the sense that they offer the best balance between size & quality. For example an action camera version of the RX100VI with a fixed bright lens would be great as well.

LX200 can't arrive fast enough. Add mic input and the new 20MP sensor and it should be enough. I wouldn't even mind if it offered oversampled high bitrate 1080p instead of 4K. 

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

How many iterations before they fix the fiddly ergonomics?

I doubt they ever will, its how they roll.

At least the fiddliness is understandable when they're cramming features into a small unit like the RX100s. I don't know what their excuse is for their bigger cameras which are equally clunky.

10 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

$1200 is some serious cash for a compact point & shoot, with a slower lens than the direct predecessor.

The Mark V was pushed quite hard by the much cheaper Panasonic LX10/15 (which has a faster lens).

I thought the Mark VI would put some daylight between them but this lens choice actually drags it the other way towards the even cheaper Panasonic TZ100.

Both of those cheap Panasonic's can have Cinelike-D on them as well now of course ;)

If I was a normal punter in a shop looking at this Mark VI against the TZ100 I'd be wondering where the price difference was.

There is more to this camera when you dig into it of course than the Panasonic's offer but on a straight side by side in a shop it would be a tough sell.

21 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

But on the positive side... Impressively small lens given the range.

I wonder if it will destroy sales of the RX10 line.

Dumb move Sony.

I think the competition is really the iPhone and other high-end mobile devices. The camera manufacturer still want to have a true P&S solution that provides a clear advantage over smart phones that have a 50mm equivalent cameras now. That's why Sony had to go to a 200mm lens. It's very hard to justify a 70mm lens over 50mm. 
With 200mm, buyers can convince themselves why the need this camera over their iPhone X. 

I think this was the correct move for Sony and it totally makes sense. 

Just now, Trek of Joy said:

Isn't that what the RX0 is supposed to be?

Nah I wouldn't say so. No internal 4K, no oversampled but aliased 1080p, slow f/4 aperture , tiny screen, no AF etc. 

And I was thinking something more in the line of Olympus TG5 style. Just with a much larger sensor.