Does anybody know this camera? Anybody shot a feature with it already?

PannySVHS

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, mercer said:

Panny, pick up a hacked GH1 for $100 and make a feature film with it. It will be the greatest marketing story since Tangerine was shot on an iPhone... or pick up a $200 camcorder with a mic input. 

not the ergo of a F900 and no 3ccd magic:). Well it was fun considering some of the oldies again and great insights into the F900. Thank you guys! Learned a lot! Just loving the idea of 3CCD 422 HD, written to cards and being an affordable "real" camera with ergos for great one operator operation. F900 close, but writing to tape and not Panasonics P2 as I assumed:)

4 minutes ago, mercer said:

I’ll do it too... 6 months to make a feature film on a hacked GH1 or consumer camcorder. I double dare you.

Too tough of a challenge. How about a shortfilm first?:)

31 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Tasty. 3CCD monster writing to cards but not HD yet:/ :)

@webrunner5, As a man who like real cameras, this looks like 3ccd HD heaven:)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-AJ-HDX900-Professional-High-Definition-Camcorder-SKU-907539/232464554768?epid=99973132&hash=item361ff79b10:g:lpwAAOSwZB9aC1Dq

Edit: does not write to cards:/

But this one: Panasonic HPX-3000:), AVC Intra 422 HD, 3 CCD, yesah!:)

Hmm this one does 1080p on P2 cards. Might be a cheaper one on there? In description. "Unlike similar priced camcorders, the AG-HPX500 can shoot a variety of standard definition and high definition resolutions, including 720p, 1080i and 1080p."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-AG-HPX500/282732785218?hash=item41d42fee42:g:oJgAAOSwLqFV92BJ

Well I think this is the body you want to get! Maybe a better one but man this thing looks like a winner for the money. This is a Varicam!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-AJ-HPX2700-AJHPX2700-2-3-VariCam-Professional-Camcorder-2120-Hours/232472651644?epid=110930570&hash=item362073277c:g:JjAAAOSw1NFaC1Dc

Here is one that is a little gimped up for less money. A Sony, but only 1/2 inch CCD's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PDW-F355-XDCAM-HD-1-2-3CCD-Camcorder-1987-Hours-SKU-904834-READ-BELOW/332385948185?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3D7eb1585ed77e4706acec5fc7ab439bec%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D232472651644&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

Check Adorama used stuff. I have bought a lot of ENG cameras and ENG lenses from them. About the cheapest around.

The notion of this thread is wonderful.  Exploitation B-movies are something to love if you have the sensibility to tolerate it.  Failed earnestness is compelling.  Some filmmakers (like me and my friends around a decade ago) have employed "ironic" mimicry for affect... barely making a comptent movies ourselves!   But, when it's just a legitimately incompetence fueled dumpster file, man, that's awesome.  

I'm a member of a film festival and this year we're screening an utterly crap-tacular film by one of the most inept filmmakers I've ever seen.  Ed Wood stuff.  He's one of those guys where he's so bad it's good.  He's actually legendary among cinifiles that follow horrible exploitation b-movies.  His sensibilities are so un-pc it's embarrassing.  The reason it's in our festival is 'kuz he's local and shot some scenes in our community and he knows the committee chairman.  

Be that as it may, it's still such a piece of nonsense that it's going to reflect poorly on our festival and we'll take an embarrassing hit for screening it.  Filmfests are always political.  Regardless, no one goes into a "legit" filmfest expecting to see such blatant inadequacy on screen.  To give you an idea how shitty this movie is, he wrote a third of the film specifically to revolve around bad 16mm stock footage.  He shot that footage for one of his movies in 1979.  He's literally been making this movie for the better part of 4 decades.

On the other hand, there's a film in our fest made by a 17 year old that would make y'all poop your pants in shame it's so visually miraculous.

I think media for f355 is not sold anymore and seems adventureous:) It was a great search for a camera. One of the Panasonic HPX series would be it I think, if for used GH4 prices. Thanks for the ride! I think for nonpros like me it could be great fun shooting with one of these. C300 II is boring and 12bit 2K for snobs:) Seriously, I wish ongoing filmmakers would shoot more with lesser cameras, that way we would have not to put up with all the glossy, polished, but heck it´s boring, crappy dull dumpster crap.  I rather watch some campy stuff. Some of it is even great.

@fuzzynormal I have not seen a Wynorski film yet. Just discovered him. But I think there are some very fun films from him. Fun in a fun way, not just "so bad, it´s good", but real fun. There are so many films I never heard of, worth watching. Btw, your film has great angles and editing!

44 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

On the other hand, there's a film in our fest made by a 17 year old that would make y'all poop your pants in shame it's so visually miraculous.

It is so funny, I immediately thought... what camera did he/she shoot it on? Even when I try and discuss alternative ways to make films... I wonder the same things.

Last year I started a post about camcorders and today I watched a couple XA10 videos and thought... Damn, if I was smart, I would just buy a camcorder with XLR inputs, a Rode NTG and go and make a movie. And then I needed to check the sensor size and rolling shutter tests and...

Ugh...

7 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Seriously, I wish ongoing filmmakers would shoot more with lesser cameras

We did our little schlock horror romp in 2009 with the XH-A1.  No complaints.  Stills here if you're curious.  I duno.  Seems to hold up fine for what it is.  Certainly was good enough.  It's just a damn camera after all.

7 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

we would have not to put up with all the glossy, polished, but heck it´s boring, crappy dull dumpster crap.  I rather watch some campy stuff. Some of it is even great.

As a person on a film festival selection committee all I can say is that I share such a sentiment.  Man, I have to watch a lot of movies.

These days most stuff looks technically decent IQ-wise.  It's rare to see a filmmaker with a unique storytelling or visual "voice" however.

There's a lot of film festival movies that are adequate.  Not many that are awesome...or that even have some sort of juice to them.  For example, I liked this particular film, and my colleagues on the selection committee hated it.  But, it's got a little something going by perverting the horror tropes and is pretty creative, I think, in how it tells its story.  Finding something like that is so much more important than how the image holds up.

LMAO that was a great funny video.

3 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

There's a lot of film festival movies that are adequate.  Not many that are awesome...or that even have some sort of juice to them.  For example, I liked this particular film, and my colleagues on the selection committee hated it.  But, it's got a little something going by perverting the horror tropes and is pretty creative, I think, in how it tells its story.  Finding something like that is so much more important than how the image holds up.

8 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

The video in the OP is one of the funniest things I've seen this year - I'm going to have to watch it all the way through this evening. Apparently Jim is now up to 'over 150' movies, according to IMDB.

It is really enjoyable and it hits some serious notes as well, the disappearance of the "middleground B movie", "the important playingfield.. open for experiments", "important entrance into filmmaking". I paraphrased but put in quotes for readability. Instead of Bmovie with a B movie audience and market, there are thousands of Cmovies with almost no market and small audience on one hand, on the other we have A features- the typical stuff, Television, web stuff. In the documentary it´s noted that Wynorski already moved from C to B and some of his originial spirit and drive of the past of B movies has been lost to his newer efforts, super quickly made booby films. One guys says in the documentary about shooting time for a feature, I´m paraphrasing, "first they do it in 48, then 30, then 18, then 12, then in three days". A very interesting and fun and kinda sad but very entertaining documentary. The main actress states something impressive about her pride in working as an actress, despite the lack of opportunities for working in B and A movies again.

@kaylee, maybe it does, kinda also looks like Oscar bait:) I think it does both. I am sure it does both.

@mercer yeah about GH2 and GH1, we talked about that before, them kids really gave theirs cameras a ride for what they are worth. Best DSLM stuff and REAL shortfilm filmmaking. I won´t look for cool footage done with GH5 anymore, just slomo, walking behind subjects and did I say slomo. Rather watch footage of cats and trees and just people.

I think I found a camera I would love to try out. Panasonic HPX-3000, 3 CCDs!, writes to cards, HD, AVC Intra 10bit 100mbps. Much more expensive still than a Sony F3 or Black Magic Cinema these days.

@fuzzynormal great write up. I can really relate to that so much. Films don´t have to succeed at every level all the time, some masterpiece do, but the should rather show some kind of guts, energy, mojo. What festival are you working at. Would love to send you an entry once it´s done. It is campy in some parts, unfortunately and less so in others, unfortunately too, but it is colorful and quirky, not perfect but fun to watch. Well, it will be, once post is done:)

Will watch the shortfilm you posted above in a bit.