Does anybody know this camera? Anybody shot a feature with it already?

PannySVHS

Hey guys,

does anybody recognize this beauty of a camera? It is a single operator shoulder beast for feature film production. The only other second crew member was the sound guy.

So anybody has produced anything like this auteur epic with a camera like this? Please no mini DV assumptions here. It is a HD camera for sure. I know that Ironfilm has done

a film with plenty of cinematic energy and ninja like extravaganza with a Sony F3. But anybody with that camera like in this documentation? It´s a camera that shoots a film

in three days. I would like that and use the saved money on production value for my micro budget shortfilm.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

It is a HD camera for sure. I know that Ironfilm has done a film with plenty of cinematic energy and ninja like extravaganza with a Sony F3.

Thanks, but I don't think I have ever said I shot a feature film with the Sony PMW-F3?!?! 

There was one I was going to shoot with it, but then I ended up shooting with the Sony PMW-F5 in 4K raw. 

However we only did a few days of shooting, now waiting on further funding plus other factors.

Glenn, the documentary shows the production of a feature film. They show the camera a few times, which has been used for filming the feature.

@Cinegain They also show that camera at 22.55. I don´t think it is possible to shoot this kind of feature with a LS300, especially not in three days.

@IronFilm You shown footage with some kind of weird characters shot against a sky, very colorful costumes, some kinda futuristic power ranger ninja style of shock epic. Sony F5 in 4raw glory even? Did you distribute it? Netflix likes cool and campy action flix. Would you mind to repost it?:) I am all for cameras which enable us to have a state of mind like Wyinorski does.

@webrunner5 , I think you should be right, that´s a camera that has higher resolving HD than a GH4 and equal lowlight. Way ahead of its time and still more costly than a F3 these days.

That has to be the worse video quality I have ever seen LoL. That was probably shot on a Barbie Camera!

It looks like a SONY PMW-400K. I had one a few years ago. Damn great camera at the time. 3 2/3 sensors in it. Pretty much industry standard at the time.

Maybe even a older one. the 400k would do HD, so not sure what they shot that video with. Might only be SD not HD. It is not that long ago that ENG could even shoot in HD. Like only maybe 7 years ago and then Only in 24fps, Maybe 30fps. They would shoot higher fps but only interlaced video in HD.

Sorry Panny, when I looked I didn’t see the embedded video. If you want my honest opinion... I know exactly why you would want a camera like this to shoot a movie on. But I would probably go with a C100. Nice small, yet malleable file sizes. XLR inputs for in camera audio, built in ND filters. For scenes without dialogue, you can take the handle off and the camera is a lot smaller. It’s just a workhorse. 

12 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

There's a clearer view on 36:00

It's a Sony HDW-F900.

I wonder what makes you think you can do it with that but not the JVC.

They are not that much money anymore. That thing was like 80,000 bucks new, now... That was a beast of a camera.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-HDW-F900-CineAlta-24P-HDCAM-Camcorder-Unit-2-of-3-3012/152701678244?hash=item238dbab2a4:g:rJYAAOSwpHFZaj9H

@Cinegain Wow, you´re right, legendary camera. I knew, I was up to something. Still more expensive than a GH5:) Would like to shoot something with 3 CCD magic and a nice codec. What codec does the F900 have? Writes to P2 cards I think.

@webrunner5, would be cool to shoot something worthwhile with this lengendary camera, I mean a  fiction shortfilm. Have not found info about codec, bitrate, color subsampling yet.

But a Lot of TV stations still shoot on the old Sony 2/3 cameras yet unless they went to 4k, and a lot still don't use that format. They would have had to throw everything they had in the garbage, and that would cost millions and millions of dollars to convert.

6 minutes ago, mercer said:

I do like the grungy look as well but I think that look can probably be pretty easily obtained, even with an iPhone. Probably a hacked GH1 could easily give you a similar look, with a few touches in post. 

Unfortunately he is right. Well maybe fortunately he is right!! They do have a special look, but the biggest benefit to them is being able to use a B4 ENG lens on them. That way it is very good in low light and they can get DoF out the ass. And you do NOT want stuff oof in TV, ENG work.

Yeah I don't doubt a GH1 is about 5 times a better way too go.

And if you insist on going old DV, probably a Panasonic DVX would be the cheapest best choice... except for the amount of time it takes to input the footage with a FireWire. And even then get an HV20 which is still considered a cult cam. Hell if you make a movie on an HV20 today, you would probably be considered the coolest filmmaker in the hipster world. ?

If you want a old one try to get one that uses XDCAM HD. That is the one that uses a CD in a plastic "sleeve". A cartridge. They are somewhat cheap today. Any one that uses Solid State media is VERY expensive even today.

Those type of cameras Can be additive! They are about the best designed camera bodies ever made. They come rigged to start with LoL. Only needed a Video light and maybe a wireless headphone receiver on them and away you go.

10 minutes ago, mercer said:

I do like the grungy look as well but I think that look can probably be pretty easily obtained, even with an iPhone. Probably a hacked GH1 could easily give you a similar look, with a few touches in post. 

I don´t find any HD trailer of the Witches film, which this documentary is about.:(