Does anybody know this camera? Anybody shot a feature with it already?

PannySVHS

@fuzzynormal, that´s a fine piece of filmmaking! Indeed gritty, rough around the edges, done with much skill and dedication and soul! Thanks for sharing! Plotwise it is absolutely okay. It works well to give us viewers kinetic energy to witness. The two leads are very well in their roles and awesome dancers as well. The dancing did a great deal to the film and contritbuted additional appeal to it with such skilled dancing and artful motion and expression.

Judging from your stills, the XAH1 was a great choice indeed for your feature. Colors show that 3CCD magic even on the small stills on your site.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think what is lost a lot in this thread is Content!! I watched this short and still have no clue what it was shot on and don't really care. The "Storytelling" was so good, at least to me, that I never really looked at the film in a "hell what camera was used,", I was immersed in the script, the output, not the what is was shot on.

It could have been shot on a Barbie Cam I don't care. It is the old saying Content is king, and in this case to me it was. Write a good story and it works, plain and simple no matter the tool you use.. So yeah a old 3 ccd ENG camera can work just as well as a new Arri If you have a good story.

15 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Dance can cure you of Zombism!  Thats a great concept, right?

Well this short is being considered for a award for something. More than me and I bet a lot of people on here are! Better than I have up on the web.

But yeah I guess we all need to learn "To Dance" LoL. Hell it might actually help. But I need to be a bit younger to do what they did in the end. Pretty crazy video overall.

On 12/1/2017 at 10:05 AM, webrunner5 said:

Well I think this is the body you want to get! Maybe a better one but man this thing looks like a winner for the money. This is a Varicam!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-AJ-HPX2700-AJHPX2700-2-3-VariCam-Professional-Camcorder-2120-Hours/232472651644?epid=110930570&hash=item362073277c:g:JjAAAOSw1NFaC1Dc

Here is one that is a little gimped up for less money. A Sony, but only 1/2 inch CCD's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PDW-F355-XDCAM-HD-1-2-3CCD-Camcorder-1987-Hours-SKU-904834-READ-BELOW/332385948185?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3D7eb1585ed77e4706acec5fc7ab439bec%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D232472651644&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

Check Adorama used stuff. I have bought a lot of ENG cameras and ENG lenses from them. About the cheapest around.

For that price just get a Sony PMW-F3 or FS700 instead!

Just been watching the doco "Some Nudity Required", Jim Wynorski is featured in that too. 

29 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Check how low this price is for a F3 and they have 2 of them!!

https://www.adorama.com/us 866269.html

Wow. As stupid as it would be for me to get another, it tempts me to get both! Have 3x F3! :-P

Dang, that should interest anyone! Holy! Was just scared off by that condition rating of 'E-', I figured it was far far away from being 'A+', but then it appeared they meant 'Excellent Minus' by that. Uhhh... lol, who does that?! If you mean excellent, like all the eBay crowd call it 'EXC+++' or something.

19 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Just been watching the doco "Some Nudity Required", Jim Wynorski is featured in that too. 

Where have you been watching it? Vimeo on demand? These 3ccd HD cameras are more expensive than a Sony F3, I said that before in anstonishment. There is someting exiting in having a camera with 3ccds larger than the ones in the EX1 with a 422 codec, even available in 10bit AVC Intra flavor. Just something from the guts. Also having a real shoulder cam with these stats is appealing. Just a yummy package. That deal on adorama is tempting though:)

This is another documentary about Bmovie filmmaking, about the lengendary Roger Corman, with legends like Jack Nicholson, Ron Howard, Julie Corman and the likes, a whole bunch of very delightful people. Jack Nicholson is especially charming.

4 hours ago, mercer said:

Panny, I know you’re looking for that 3 CCDs Magic but have you ever used a BMPCC? I think that would be a camera you might love. Throw some old c-mount primes or even the Panny 14mm or 20mm and keep the thing pocketable and you would probably have a blast with that footage in post.

Glenn, no I have not. I graded some BMPCC Prores. Worked fine. A S16 Blackmagic camera in a nice and practical formfactor with EVF, around GH5 price, Isn´t that something we all would love to see?:) Heck, a XC15 with cmount IBIS and 10bit. @IronFilm I will check that. Well, guys, thanks for your contributions and ideas!

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2017 at 8:04 AM, PannySVHS said:

Hey guys,

does anybody recognize this beauty of a camera? It is a single operator shoulder beast for feature film production. The only other second crew member was the sound guy.

So anybody has produced anything like this auteur epic with a camera like this? Please no mini DV assumptions here. It is a HD camera for sure. I know that Ironfilm has done

a film with plenty of cinematic energy and ninja like extravaganza with a Sony F3. But anybody with that camera like in this documentation? It´s a camera that shoots a film

in three days. I would like that and use the saved money on production value for my micro budget shortfilm.

Hmmm... Popatopolis (2009) has been pulled from YT now! Guess some functioning on the YouTube algorithm is working as it should? :-P 

45 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Hmmm... Popatopolis (2009) has been pulled from YT now! Guess some functioning on the YouTube algorithm is working as it should? :-P 

Rather nothing to laugh about though, but great post of the beautiful Corman documentary! Highly recommended! Thanks for posting!

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 2:55 AM, Cinegain said:

Dang, that should interest anyone! Holy! Was just scared off by that condition rating of 'E-', I figured it was far far away from being 'A+', but then it appeared they meant 'Excellent Minus' by that. Uhhh... lol, who does that?! If you mean excellent, like all the eBay crowd call it 'EXC+++' or something.

From experience with them, anything rated E or higher would pass for good as new on ebay. E- might have a little scratch or something. I probably wouldn't go below their V rating which is very good.