“The Middle Path”: A Lumix GH5s Short

Neumann Films

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Similarly, Luke here used italics to possibly hint that there is something regarding the "shoulders". He clearly stated he was shooting at T1.9. Even on m43 with that much light at T1.9, you're going to get clipping on a white coat like the actor is wearing. Now, there is something on the end of the lens. It could be ND? That would remedy the clipping. Regardless, I have consistently noticed superb exposure in high DR situations. Like with this image for instance.

One can but dream it has built in NDs! :-D Ah well

Figured I would throw my speculations out there after reading through the thread.

I know some people have brought up the idea that the EVA1 sensor may be used in this "new GH5". However, a lot of people (myself included) do not think it makes sense that a modified GH5 (or any GH series camera) would have a larger than m43 sized sensor inside it. But, what if Panasonic ends up doing the same thing RED did with the Raven?

RED basically used sensors from the 6K Dragon that did not pass spec over the entire imager - cut them down to 4.5K, and threw them into the Raven. So, rather than "throwing away" sensors that didn't meet QC standards, they cut off the "unusable portions", and put them into a new camera. Basically, they found a way to make money from sensors that couldn't be used! 

So with that in mind, what if the "new GH5" does indeed contain the EVA1 sensor - but a m43 cut of it? It would explain the hypothetical better DR, colors, and low light. 

Just a guess. Would be pretty awesome if that was the case. Not holding my breath though.

15 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Let's be realistic here, there is no way GH5s will have a S35 sensor. I can't think of any native m4/3 mount lenses that cover S35.

All the Sigma MFT lenses, and most of the Veydra MFT lenses. Plus others. 

15 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

As far as price goes, the GH5 will still be an excellent choice for half the price of the new GH5s. Even now you will be lucky to get $1500 for your GH5, and when the new one is announced I doubt it would be higher than $1300. 

I look forward to a $1300 GH5! :-D

(also look forward to a GH5 for a tenth of that! :-o Which will happen one day.....   after all the GH1 is now that price)

14 hours ago, sam rides a mtb said:

So someone here hit the nail on the head - so the answer is in this thread somewhere. I'm still leaning on EVA sensor. Yes it seems a bit ridiculous for Panasonic to release a new GH5 iteration so soon and possibly for a crazy low price (if indeed it is S35 sensor) but the EVA sensor would probably be more cost effective than a new sensor when you consider R&D.  Maybe they also sold less EVAs than expected so coukd repurpose sensor maybe? - just a thought.

Could just be a MFT/4K crop of the EVA1 5.7K sensor. 

That is what I'm betting/hoping on. 

54 minutes ago, anti12 said:

GH5 Firmware 2.2 has been released

So nothing revolutionary. 

Yet....

The EVA has an EF mount and yet Panasonic doesn't make a single EF mount lens.

They did it because:

a) internal turf war between the consumer and the pro divisions, so the pro division didn't want to do anything which makes sense for their competitors in the consumer division

b) they did a survey of buggy riders and found out they wanted better buggies! (not cars.... because who could possibly dream of something as crazy as that?!?!)

Also, either Mitch Gross or Matt Frazer told me a while back when I asked about an EVA with M4/3 mount that I should just be patient (or something along those lines - forgive me for not quoting verbatim).

Did this happen online? If so I'd love if you could look it up to link to it! Would be interested to see the original source. 

14 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

I think the info about the lens should provide or...disprove some of the theories being thrown around.  :)

13 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

I chose my words very carefully in the last part of that final sentence.

Ah I see. You didn't use "prove", like people would usually use in a sentence like that. 

37 minutes ago, r1ng077 said:

Figured I would throw my speculations out there after reading through the thread.

I know some people have brought up the idea that the EVA1 sensor may be used in this "new GH5". However, a lot of people (myself included) do not think it makes sense that a modified GH5 (or any GH series camera) would have a larger than m43 sized sensor inside it. But, what if Panasonic ends up doing the same thing RED did with the Raven?

RED basically used sensors from the 6K Dragon that did not pass spec over the entire imager - cut them down to 4.5K, and threw them into the Raven. So, rather than "throwing away" sensors that didn't meet QC standards, they cut off the "unusable portions", and put them into a new camera. Basically, they found a way to make money from sensors that couldn't be used! 

So with that in mind, what if the "new GH5" does indeed contain the EVA1 sensor - but a m43 cut of it? It would explain the hypothetical better DR, colors, and low light. 

Just a guess. Would be pretty awesome if that was the case. Not holding my breath though.

I strongly suspect this is what happened with the BMCC => BMPCC as well. 

1 hour ago, r1ng077 said:

So with that in mind, what if the "new GH5" does indeed contain the EVA1 sensor - but a m43 cut of it?

Yes, I was thinking about it, too, trying to estimate rationality of EVA1 with m4/3 mount. Actually, while 5,7K for s35 looks like some random value inbetween 4K and 8K, it gives a 4K DCI crop that fits nicely on 4/3 sensor.

"The BEST Vlog EVER." says it it all, especially when you add a dash V-log.

Maybe an updated JPEG engine, G9 focus, and a few minor body changes. But I don't expect a new sensor etc. I think just a tad more then a GH4r, so in this case GH5r (r meaning revision).

It's cool to see everyone dream of STARVIS sensors, organic sensors etc. I think the ergonomics could be improved a lot with a few software changes. For instance display a focus distance, show the hyperfocal distance when using the Manual focus on a focus by wire lens. Also for video Panasonic could change the MF so when rotating the ring changes the focus to displayed distance, and the actually focus speed ramps up, coasts at a set speed and then ramps down to meet the manually set focus, So when using MF we set a distance (using the focus ring) and the camera smoothly gets to it. And the CAF the camera should go to the estimated focus distance and skip the focus checking at the end of the focus pull. Talking about this makes me want to make my own camera someday.

On 12/8/2017 at 7:23 PM, mechanicalEYE said:

Forget the nonsense about red buttons... anyone else notice the difference around the AF/AE lock button on the GH5 in comparison to the camera body in Lukes photo?

Different Camera for sure.

I took another look, and realized what I thought I saw with the AF/AE button was not the case. ( LOL ) Looking at another screen shot, it's pretty much identical to the GH5 with it's button arrangement, and labeling. The only visible difference that I can see is the drive mode dial red ring, no red buttons...  Either way, I'll be putting my name down for one :glasses: to be shipped my way as soon as it's officially announced.

redring_GH5.jpg

9 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

The only visible difference that I can see is the drive mode dial red ring, no red buttons

Did you take that screenshot? That is much clearer than what I was able to render. 

Well, I bought the auto focus thing too. Good catch on both accounts.

Is it possible the screen is larger? I don't think so, but was hoping. It looks identical other than that red ring. 

11 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Did you take that screenshot? That is much clearer than what I was able to render. 

Well, I bought the auto focus thing too. Good catch on both accounts.

Is it possible the screen is larger? I don't think so, but was hoping. It looks identical other than that red ring. 

Yes, I watched the video again in 4k, and realized the red ring stands out pretty good in that particular scene. After taking the screenshot I noticed I was wrong with what I originally thought.

From what we see, I don't think there's a difference in screen size... but who knows. Heres to hope, ?.

I'm looking forward to your short Neumann, you tease us so well you must know how to keep us glued to your film as well. I hope you can show us some comparison shot and analysis upon release day because I'm sure you're exploring the new features in depth and by them know them inside and out. Does the new footage offer greater DR? and or is the DR more useable? Is it easier to shoot with? Have you taken a peak at the AF, is it on G9 level or even a bit better? Have the GH5 colours improved?