Nikon D850 vs everything

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The D5 replacement is not coming in 2018, maybe not even 2019.

Nikon flagship cycle is 2 years, next is D5S. If it didn't come till February 2018 consider it Delayed. 

14 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Exactly, its barely a year and a half old, it'l be at least two more years before its successor is even announced. The big sports bodies are on a 4-year cycle. The d750 and 610 replacements will likely be next in 2018 - along with the FF mirrorless cam.

They announced D5 at CES 2016, with a pre-announcement two months before that. Its more than barely a year and half old. 

3 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

Nikon flagship cycle is 2 years, next is D5S. If it didn't come till February 2018 consider it Delayed. 

They announced D5 at CES 2016, with a pre-announcement two months before that. Its more than barely a year and half old. 

The S model has been a minor refresh, the D6 with a new sensor and new AF is still a couple years away.

A year and a half is June or July if you look at when it actually shipped, so we're just a few months past. Close enough.

Cheers.

20 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Exactly, its barely a year and a half old, it'l be at least two more years before its successor is even announced. The big sports bodies are on a 4-year cycle. The d750 and 610 replacements will likely be next in 2018 - along with the FF mirrorless cam.

Being the cheap bastard that I am, the camera next year from Nikon which interests me the most is the D5600 replacement! 

4K with focus peaking please

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Focus peaking is overrated :) you don't need it if you have a very high res screen, which thankfully the D850 has. So although it only works in 1080p, which is strange, I am not missing it.

You don't always have the luxury of a high resolution screen. And focus peaking can help give you a bit more information than what a high res screwn would give you.

I was yesterday 1st AC on a short film with the GH5 and the DoP only had one monitor for his camera (& no HDMI pass through! So wouldn't even have mattered if we had a second). So I had to use the GH5 screen itself for pulling focus when it was on his shoulder.

Having focus peaking really helped save my butt when pulling focus on the Nikon 50mm f1.2! :-o

• Administrators

Hard to argue with Slashcam's results but you will notice in 4K FX the horizontal resolution is very good indeed. This counts for a lot in the real world.

This is not a moire camera. It may show some on a chart, yes. All do.

I very much doubt it is line-skipping. The results would be much worse if it was.

The difference in real-world resolution between the full frame FX mode and Super 35mm is tiny.

The other advantages over Sony outweigh the difference in res anyway... better codec for starters.

D850 FX 4K:

1617-ISO340_flat_FF_FX_4K-ISO340_flat_FF_FX_4K.jpg

5D Mark IV 1.7x crop 4K:

4Kcamera-4k_feature_check_4k_testchart_48.jpg

You will see that the D850 actually out-resolves the 1:1 full pixel readout of the 1.7x crop 4K on the 5D Mark IV horizontally...

And that the Canon 4K has worse moire issues... even without binning or line skipping.

So whatever the D850 pixel binning is doing from 46MP down to 8MP for 4K it is doing it well enough as to not be noticeable in the real-world vs a 1:1 readout... Very impressive.

Let's throw in the A7S II, 1D C and GH4 as well...

1D C... Soft, and moire patterns especially horizontally....

4Kcamera-4k_feature_check_4k_testchart_27.jpg

A7S II full frame 4K... Still moire. Oversharpened PP settings used though.

4Kcamera-4k_feature_check_4k_testchart_22.jpg

GH4... Moire present again!

4Kcamera-4k_feature_check_4k_testchart_17.jpg

These all look worse than the Nikon's 4K in this test and as we know, in the real world they offer some of the best images around.

https://www.slashcam.de/4K-Kamera-Vergleich-u-show_von-i-49-u-mode-i-docompare.html

Take a look at the A7RII with it's amazing debayering and scaling.
4Kcamera-4k_feature_check_4k_testchart_2

Or the still respectable GH5
1554-4K_50p_8bit_420_noise_sharpness_dow

Now the Nikon D850 (APS-C)
1617-ISO340_flat_S35_DX_4K-ISO340_flat_S

The Nikon D850 is at least one step back from these in terms of video quality.

Conclusion for me: You want a great photo camera, the Nikon D850 is fine. For video there are way better alternatives.

In my day, all we had was a balsa wood box that captured the nickleodeons with potato starch spread on the intestines of a dead goat. We'd project our film using the miller's windmill and 10,000 candles.  At the end of the night we'd have wax burn scars on our hands and genitals, but the images of old man Johnson waving his pickle jar and holding an onion pitchfork kept us in stitches!  That's all we had, by gum, and we liked it!

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/weekend-update-segment---grumpy-old-man/n9908?snl=1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, deezid said:

Take a look at the A7RII with it's amazing debayering and scaling.
4Kcamera-4k_feature_check_4k_testchart_2

Or the still respectable GH5
1554-4K_50p_8bit_420_noise_sharpness_dow

Now the Nikon D850 (APS-C)
1617-ISO340_flat_S35_DX_4K-ISO340_flat_S

The Nikon D850 is at least one step back from these in terms of video quality.

Conclusion for me: You want a great photo camera, the Nikon D850 is fine. For video there are way better alternatives.

You're completely missing the bigger picture, literally.

The A7R II Super 35mm is fine, but it isn't full frame. The GH5 is not full frame.

The D850 is full frame 4K and much better than the A7R II's full frame 4K, better horizontal res and less moire, it's better even than the A99 II full frame 4K which I am very happy with and which was an improvement on the A7R II's image.

The codec and colour science are superior to the Sonys.

The sensor size and stills are superior to the GH5.