Jump to content

Nikon D850 vs everything


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Meanwhile, in the real world: (All full frame. Flat profile. Sharpness on zero)

Dude, the resolution in 4K of the D850 is as good as the 1D X Mark II / 1D C... https://***URL removed***/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr29_0=nikon_d850&attr29_1=canon_eos1dxii&a

If the D5600 replacement gets full sensor 4K with focus peaking, then I'm buying it!

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

you cant get rid of aliasing without full sensor readout. but you can get the color right without full sensor readout :glasses: 

Capture222.JPG.85377ca48d6782ce63739d5b51a9e217.JPG

Lol I take my word back.. apparently even full sensor readout can't eliminate alialiasing. Look at the reflection on the brush. A6500 has the sharpest and most detailed 4k image in their database, and yet there is this. Maybe something is wrong with DPR frame grab compression. 

IMG_20171018_143857.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

The D850 is very closely matched to the Samsung NX1 in 4K for detail.

D850:

d850-4k-24p.jpg

NX1:

nx1 4k.jpg

I have no worries over the sub-sampling.

How else were they to get 4K off a 46MP full frame sensor? 8.2K readout?! Imagine the rolling shutter on that!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Members

Today I played around with the video in the D500 for ten minutes while waiting on a train.
I only had a 75mm equivalent and no ND so the footage isn't very fun.
The frames are HD so not as knife sharp as the 4K would be.

Just wanted something to play with in color finale.

There really is room for pretty much any creative look but without taking up any space worth mentioning on the card.
These are all just quick adjustments, 2min on each, max.

You have to click twice for full resolution, otherwise they will look even softer.

Straight from camera

nikonfl4.thumb.jpg.15fa8d6910e33faa6f55605190db2e1e.jpg

 

Quick adjustment in FCPX using the regular color tool.
nikonfl5.thumb.jpg.d5861f34e19378159dde066264b96b99.jpg

 

Random LUT and intentional crushed blacks using the three way color corrector.
nikonfl3.thumb.jpg.cc70832295988210d87ed3a4267a754e.jpg

 

Quick vintage with Fuji LUT and slight crush of shadows using the three way.
nikonfl2.thumb.jpg.dbb452124bd240c9b67437ada530b556.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The APSC 4k Nikon D850 seems the cleanest version with no visible reddish moirer etc. For me this level of peeping is just out of this world and the 4k from the full frame version is already very very good. Another reason I prefer this, is that 4k is already beyond what we can see in moving object at normal viewing distance and when it is too sharp the image becomes very digital and loose that organic look.   https://***URL removed***/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr29_0=nikon_d850&attr29_1=sony_a9&attr72_0=4k-apsc&attr72_1=4k&normalization=full&widget=555&x=-0.4570796494630715&y=-0.020766435711161095

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Members

I guess for video I might rebuy the 35 and 50 f1.4. The old versions, I really liked them the last time.

For stills I have a 50mm f1.8. And after a long time debating and testing the Tamron 24-70/2.8 G2 I left the store today with the Tamron 70-200/2.8 G2 (got a great discount at my local shop for being a loyal and returning customer).

I might ad a 18-35, 35mm G or most likely a 17-50/2.8.

Its a B camera for streets and Im not planing to start using it fully until spring. So I have time to spend way too many hours debating it :)

I probably will review the Tamron at some point but otherwise Fro has a nice review. When such a third party lens sceptic and Nikon FB like he is recomends it... then its probably good stuff. 

(Also I had the macro version for my BMPC4K and liked it.)

 

Here is a video test I did with the old and cheap Macro version (non is).

EDIT: apparently I reviewed it.. forgot about that :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

If you come across a good deal on the ridiculously overpriced 58mm F1.4, jump at it... that is probably my favourite Nikon lens right now. It is the only one that is designed for rendering like a Leica. It isn't the sharpest or the fastest (F1.2 would have been nice) but it is a shot-winner time and time again. I am amazed it even exists in modern era.

It's Nikon's answer to the Canon 50mm F1.2L, which still has more character than the Sigma 50mm F1.4.

The Nikon 50mm F1.4G is ok, but there's a big price gap between that and the next one up (58mm)... Sigma 50mm F1.4 fills that gap nicely. It's just I prefer the character of the 58 and the amazing performance with tiny specular highlights in a cityscape... no halos, no blur, just very well corrected. It is not soft at F2 but it isn't sharp like the Sigma. At F1.4 it's more a portrait lens, so sharpness doesn't matter as much.

The 35mm F2.0 AI-S is lovely... Beautiful rendering.

I don't have that many Nikon lenses compared to others... But the 35mm F2 AI-S, 58mm F1.4 and 24-70mm F2.8G are about the only ones I'll ever need!

Did try the Tamron VR primes (35 and 45) and they are good... but the stabilisation seems to take an age to settle down in movie mode... half the clip is lost basically. It's much better for stills through the viewfinder where I can use shutter speeds as low as 1/8 or 1/15 handheld with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Members

I actually have been negotiating with a guy about the f1.2 version but he is blinded by what some are willing to pay on ebay. Im a black belt in flee market search so I will take my sweet time.

Nikon is in a moment 22. All their old glass works but is really expensive compared to other mounts. And all the other mounts that fits even long flanges like Canon cant be used on Nikon.

Meanwhile they sell excellent modern glass for their cameras. But not for DX. And the FX lenses are to pricy for DX imo. Which I think push many beginners towards Canon.

If it wasn't for Tamron and Sigma I would have a hard time recommending a Nikon DX over a Canon APS-C to a first time buyer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Andrew Reid

Would you suggest someone getting the D850 over the 1DC? Since you claim it's nearly identical in 4K image quality. And I assume 1080-60p on the D850 is way superior and superb than the 1DC? 

This could be a deciding factor for me, wether to get a D850 or keep looking for a second hand 1DC.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2017 at 6:37 PM, Mattias Burling said:

I actually have been negotiating with a guy about the f1.2 version but he is blinded by what some are willing to pay on ebay. Im a black belt in flee market search so I will take my sweet time.

 

haha, I know that feeling oh too well!
I get all these great deals, that when a person doesn't go ultra low for me then it just doesn't seem worth it to me :-P 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2017 at 6:37 PM, Mattias Burling said:

If it wasn't for Tamron and Sigma I would have a hard time recommending a Nikon DX over a Canon APS-C to a first time buyer.

And Tokina! That 11-20mm f2.8 (or the original 11-16mm f2.8 , which is the one I have) is part of the "Holy Trinity of Lenses" for APS-C

11 hours ago, raf702 said:

This could be a deciding factor for me, wether to get a D850 or keep looking for a second hand 1DC.

Think also about what would be your B camera, I'd rather have a D850 with a D7500 back up than a 1D C and any of Canon's DSLRs in that same price bracket. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
21 hours ago, raf702 said:

@Andrew Reid

Would you suggest someone getting the D850 over the 1DC? Since you claim it's nearly identical in 4K image quality. And I assume 1080-60p on the D850 is way superior and superb than the 1DC? 

This could be a deciding factor for me, wether to get a D850 or keep looking for a second hand 1DC.

 

The 1080/60p is superior yes.

Let's be clear though, the 1D C is an amazing camera, the image is similar to the D850 but the codec is a bit more beefy at 4:2:2 500Mbit... The issue is it's crap to edit and massive file sizes, whereas the D850 fixes that with the sensible 4K codec it has. 1D C has 'real' LOG but D850 flat profile is very similar to Canon LOG in my opinion. The 1D C is 1.3x crop 4K where D850 is full frame, no crop. I prefer the lens mount of the 1D C - more adapts and Canon glass takes some beating even by Nikon.

The main reason I would say the D850 is superior though is because of the way it marries a very similar level of 4K quality with better features and better 1080p - it's more complete - and as a stills camera, 46MP is not to be sniffed at, even if it lacks the burst speeds of the 1D C, that resolution in itself is quite amazing and the AF is just as good as the top of the line pro Canon.

1D C only does Super 35mm mode in 1080p, whereas D850 does Super 35mm in 4K so good to have that second crop factor.

If you're looking at either the D850 or 1D C your main priorities are probably:

  • Full frame (no Speed Booster or 2x crop GH5 malarky)
  • Better stills than a Sony (OVF, super fast AF, handling, battery life)
  • 4K and 1080 image quality as good as it can possibly be without going to a more video orientated platform, like C300 Mark II, GH5, FS5, etc.
  • Enough basic video features to make it painless (articulated screen and small file sizes - neither is found on 1D C)
  • Top-class low light performance
  • Best colour you can get without step up to 10bit

The only thing I would say that is Canon's IS lenses seem to be superior to Nikon VR for video. The D850 is not the perfect handheld camera the GH5 is. Better on a tripod.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

And Tokina! That 11-20mm f2.8 (or the original 11-16mm f2.8 , which is the one I have) is part of the "Holy Trinity of Lenses" for APS-C

Think also about what would be your B camera, I'd rather have a D850 with a D7500 back up than a 1D C and any of Canon's DSLRs in that same price bracket. 

I will definitely look into that!

5 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I sold my 1DC for a 5Dmkiii. So I too would go for the D850 with a D500/7500/5500/bmpcc backup.

The Tokina is sweet. I used to have the 11-16 back in the t3i days.
Tomorrow Im finally getting the 18-35/1.8 :)

I appreciate the suggestion! 

9 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The 1080/60p is superior yes.

Let's be clear though, the 1D C is an amazing camera, the image is similar to the D850 but the codec is a bit more beefy at 4:2:2 500Mbit... The issue is it's crap to edit and massive file sizes, whereas the D850 fixes that with the sensible 4K codec it has. 1D C has 'real' LOG but D850 flat profile is very similar to Canon LOG in my opinion. The 1D C is 1.3x crop 4K where D850 is full frame, no crop. I prefer the lens mount of the 1D C - more adapts and Canon glass takes some beating even by Nikon.

The main reason I would say the D850 is superior though is because of the way it marries a very similar level of 4K quality with better features and better 1080p - it's more complete - and as a stills camera, 46MP is not to be sniffed at, even if it lacks the burst speeds of the 1D C, that resolution in itself is quite amazing and the AF is just as good as the top of the line pro Canon.

1D C only does Super 35mm mode in 1080p, whereas D850 does Super 35mm in 4K so good to have that second crop factor.

If you're looking at either the D850 or 1D C your main priorities are probably:

- Better stills than a Sony (OVF, super fast AF, handling, battery life)

- 4K and 1080 image quality as good as it can possibly be without going to a more video orientated platform, like C300 Mark II, GH5, FS5, etc.

- Enough basic video features to make it painless (articulated screen and small file sizes - neither is found on 1D C)

The only thing I would say that is Canon's IS lenses seem to be superior to Nikon VR for video. The D850 is not the perfect handheld camera the GH5 is. Better on a tripod.

Awesome! Plus I'm trying to stay as compact, the GH5 not a fan. I moved away from M43 cameras, and I have a A6300 now but want something more complete. Better image and slow-mo, etc. The D850 seems to check all the boxes for me.

What's the dynamic range like in comparison to the 1DC with log and flat profile of the D850? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:
  • 4K and 1080 image quality as good as it can possibly be without going to a more video orientated platform, like C300 Mark II, GH5, FS5, etc.)

Nice to see the GH5 in the same company as the C300mk2 & FS5 ;-)

 

10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:
  • Top-class low light performance

D850 is better than the 1D C in lowlight for filming with?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...