Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Magic Lantern Raw Video

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
41 minutes ago, mercer said:

What's the highest and cleanest ISO for the 5D3?

 

 

I'm struggling with this as well.  In evenly lit scenes, I feel like I can go up to 3200 and get reasonably clean footage.  In scenes dominated by deep shadows and bright highlights I find that I get a lot of noise no matter what I do...switch back to h.264 and the scene looks as I would expect.  It's a little big confusing, and this is coming from the perspective of using the 5D3 for photo work and h.264 footage for quite awhile.

Backlit scenes, like your top example are the ones that I'm struggling with the most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Drew Allegre said:

I'm struggling with this as well.  In evenly lit scenes, I feel like I can go up to 3200 and get reasonably clean footage.  In scenes dominated by deep shadows and bright highlights I find that I get a lot of noise no matter what I do...switch back to h.264 and the scene looks as I would expect.  It's a little big confusing, and this is coming from the perspective of using the 5D3 for photo work and h.264 footage for quite awhile.

With a fast 1.4 lens, wide open, I've gotten clean footage up to 1600 ISO but I've never pushed it any further... but that was in decent light for exterior night shots  

Do you expose to the right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mercer said:

With a fast 1.4 lens, wide open, I've gotten clean footage up to 1600 ISO but I've never pushed it any further. 

Do you expose to the right?

Yeah, I generally expose to the right.  I'll let some highlights blow depending on the situation.  

When shooting h.264 I would always try to use ISO160, 320, 640 (1250 if I really needed it).  This rule of thumb was simple and provided consistent/predictable results, but I'm finding raw to be a little more complicated.  Maybe I'm just experiencing learning curve interpreting the raw histogram?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Drew Allegre said:

Yeah, I generally expose to the right.  I'll let some highlights blow depending on the situation.  

When shooting h.264 I would always try to use ISO160, 320, 640 (1250 if I really needed it).  This rule of thumb was simple and provided consistent/predictable results, but I'm finding raw to be a little more complicated.  Maybe I'm just experiencing learning curve interpreting the raw histogram?

Did you enable the ETTR hint with the Raw Histogram? I found that helped a lot to see when I was over and which channels were clipping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mercer said:

Did you enable the ETTR hint with the Raw Histogram? I found that helped a lot to see when I was over and which channels were clipping. 

In the EosHD Raw shooter guide Andrew recommended to shoot ETTR or even further, blow out what should have been blowned out. RAW zebras are perfectly accurate you can see what will blow out. Shooting like this you can have perfectly clean image if you are doing post process in Adobe Camera Raw. If you are using Davinci Resolve and you are shooting wide dynamic range scene you have to face the noise... but Neat video can clean up everything perfectly. 

Another way to get clean image if you shoot dual iso raw video. The benefits: huge dynamic range (14,2 EV, if shooting ETTR ISO100/800) clean shadows. The sacrifice: insane post-process times, aliasing in the non-overlapped areas so in deep shadows and highligts. I think it's not worth it, but give it a shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the suggestions.  The one shot I need that I'm a little worried about is a backlit campfire shot with basically just rim lighting.  I've been amazed at what can be done with dim/indoor lighting, but I'm struggling when shadow dominates the image.  Looks like I have some good suggestions and some more experimenting to do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Katrikura said:

 

Hello:      I use the Atomos Ninja Blade, and I can tell you that I record raw video in the camera and prores on the external recorder, simultaneously.

Regards

Thanks for the reply. A couple questions, is the ProRes a clean HDMI recording of the ML Raw video? Do you use it for Proxy editing? Do you have any videos of the ProRes recordings on Vimeo or YouTube?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello:
         The 5d iii has a clean output through the hdmi, I use it as backup and after scenes, since the cards in which I record raw are 64 gb, with the atoms I have recorded up to 6 continuous hours. I will search for images and upload them tomorrow so you can see the quality.

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello:
        I tell you my experience, some time ago I had to record an archeological excavation, which lasted a month, were long working days, there were low temperatures and rain (in southern Chile). My team was a 5d iii + ninja blade with DD 1tb, which allowed me to record up to 12 hours on prq hq, 4 NP-F series (generic batteries), the pair gave me a duration of about 4 hours + canon 24 -105 + videomic pro.


I must mention that the recording work I did alone, what most helped me, was the focus peaking and the waveform monitor. Most of the time I did not record with the 5d, just kept it on and the ninja blade did all the work.

Then I send you an original camera file, without touching color, as it came out of the atoms in HQ, which I uploaded directly to youtube.

I am currently recording in Raw with magiclantern and I take the atoms as backup or when I run out of compact flash cards, so I do not interrupt the recording.


Sorry for my bad english

 

Katrikura

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

brought my 5D3 with me to South Carolina for the eclipse. A few days later, we got some rain and I snagged a few shots.

 

Damn Zak, gorgeous. Is that with your Zeiss lenses?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

no this was with a Leica Summicron-R 35mm.

What color temp did you shoot this with... the cooler look is great for this piece. Clean shadows too, zebras or Raw Histogram to the right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...