Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Magic Lantern Raw Video

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, squig said:

As far as I know, it's only an issue with the experimental build.

Thanks, I just read a little about it and it seems that way. How often do you update to newer builds? And even though I haven't had any issues, do you think it would make sense to update my build?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, mercer said:

How often do you update to newer builds? And even though I haven't had any issues, do you think it would make sense to update my build?

Depends, I usually update to test new features that I may want to use, but unless you really need those features there's no compelling reason to update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2017 at 6:52 PM, squig said:

You need to talk to a1ex on the ML forum. It's a very serious bug and could brick your camera.

holy schnikes! i finally have time to try some 3.5k, whats this all about? i dont wanna brick my camera and im scared of a1ex ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kaylee said:

holy schnikes! i finally have time to try some 3.5k, whats this all about? i dont wanna brick my camera and im scared of a1ex ?

He's a puppy dog. It was only a problem with that one build. Try a build a few weeks old, the latest one is always a bit risky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still plugging away on my film. And still could not be happier with ML Raw and the 5D3. I went out on Saturday to to do a couple pick up shots because my first attempt was a little noisier than I wanted and I wanted to get this scene before the water gets too cold. So I took out the Canon 35mm f2... what a lens.

Anyway here is a screengrab from the shoot and a test color grade after I processed the footage. I'm still hoping to test the 3.5K builds soon, but right now... for my needs... the 1080p is more than enough.

 

IMG_1087.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mercer said:

Still plugging away on my film. And still could not be happier with ML Raw and the 5D3. I went out on Saturday to to do a couple pick up shots because my first attempt was a little noisier than I wanted and I wanted to get this scene before the water gets too cold. So I took out the Canon 35mm f2... what a lens.

Anyway here is a screengrab from the shoot and a test color grade after I processed the footage. I'm still hoping to test the 3.5K builds soon, but right now... for my needs... the 1080p is more than enough.

 

IMG_1087.JPG

 

 

Hey Glenn, lookin massive! Framing, so it´s 35mm on full 5D sensor, would be a 17mm on full m43 then? Color is looking awesome.

The second frame with the LUT looks like a frame with a LUT though, which can be nice but to my eyes it does not match the quality

of this first frame. By the way, cool profile pic. I´ve been starting to take mine as a shot of myself lately :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PannySVHS said:

 

 

Hey Glenn, lookin massive! Framing, so it´s 35mm on full 5D sensor, would be a 17mm on full m43 then? Color is looking awesome.

The second frame with the LUT looks like a frame with a LUT though, which can be nice but to my eyes it does not match the quality

of this first frame. By the way, cool profile pic. I´ve been starting to take mine as a shot of myself lately :)

Thanks Marty. It's starting to come together. This whole project began as a 5 minute test short back in April but then I've been so pleased with the results, I just kept going. Now I need to start casting some more characters so I can finish the thing. 

And yeah I agree about the second one. It looks fine but lacks maybe the depth one can achieve with ML Raw. But for now these are all just color tests that I will finalize at a later date... when I learn how to color grade. 

Anyway, hope all is well with you. How is your short going?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Short has been shot more than two weeks ago. Was a great shoot. Some awesome shots captured. Don´t wanna show too much yet, but best colors I ever shot with a Lumix cam.

Can really recommend the GH5. As I said before, I chose it over my GX85 for its battery life, ergonomy and

its awesome HD mode. Great cam already in 8bit in REC and HD. But cannot deny the REC709 highlight rolloff:) I send you a PM with screenshots soon. Don´t wanna spoil it on the

forum too much :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everybody - great posts on here. Long time reader and first time poster. I wrote/directed a short film shot with the 5DmkIII+ML Raw, just in 1080p as the 4k hack wasn't available at the time. Here are some screen shots. Teaser trailer on Vimeo now and entire short will be released in about a week.

 Axiomatic_Amy_Marissa.jpg.2c2238ac4e64142ed1fc8dea38f07418.jpg

59e7a2588e0cf_Axiomatic_Marissamotorbike_2.jpg.00e139a5d37375537c71a59de4b9fedd.jpg

59e7a2686c3d4_Axiomatic_Marissa-Mr.Joviani.jpg.aacb15e006fc037ac2bc053d889732fa.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kelly looks great. Love that last shot. What lens(es) did you use? And do you have a link to the trailer?

Edit: sorry saw you posted the trailer in the other section. 

I look forward to seeing it. What Takumar lenses do you have? I just picked up a 35mm f2 for a song. And I am searching for a good priced 85mm 1.8 because I’ve heard such great things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mercer said:

@Kelly looks great. Love that last shot. What lens(es) did you use? And do you have a link to the trailer?

Edit: sorry saw you posted the trailer in the other section. 

I look forward to seeing it. What Takumar lenses do you have? I just picked up a 35mm f2 for a song. And I am searching for a good priced 85mm 1.8 because I’ve heard such great things. 

@mercer Thanks very much - I guess I should have posted the trailer here rather than another area. I used a full set of Zeiss ZF primes with 1/4BPM for the interiors and then mostly the Asahi Takumar primes for the exteriors, along with the Canon EF 35mm/f2 IS and the Canon 24-105mm/f4 IS as they were moving shots and I needed the IS as I was literally handheld or a fig rig.

For Takumar's I have: 28mm/f3.5,  35mm/f2, 35mm/f3.5, 55mm/f2, 85mm/f1.9, 105mm/f2.8 and 135mm/f3.5.

The 35/f2 is not bad, not the sharpest out of the bunch and flares/veils easily but I'm ok with that as it's great for taking the harsh digital edge off most digital cameras. I HIGHLY recommend the 85mm/f1.9 as it is extremely sharp at almost all apertures.

Here's a shot taken with my Nikon Df at a f4 or 5.6 and a circular polarizer in a burnt forest, and another completely unfiltered at about the same aperture no post sharpening in either and  I have to use a shitty adapter with a piece of glass in it to get infinity focus on Nikon too. I'm not a fan of Takumar's in low light or night shooting though even with a 5DmkIII and Raw, your milage might vary but I find they just don't provide enough info to make a good image - switching to Zeiss or Sigma/Canon etc. is a better option for that. Again your milage might vary depending on your scene. I tested the wazoo out of everything prior to making my short at all my locations, lenses, times of day just to see what would work, how everything would grade and then fall apart, is this 5D going to melt, malfunction etc. It all worked great and this was back in the day when you had to reload the Raw modules onto the camera every time you turned the camera on.

DSC_3537.jpg.eeec4b2283f3a1b6ea72ba390e8aa56c.jpg

DSC_2109.jpg.f929ff475ea07ab1f64dd78f611744a8.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kelly thanks for the update and the research and tests. We’re actually using similar lenses. I also have the Canon 35mm f2 (beast of a lens... so sharp) but I have the 24-70mm f4 instead of the 105 (The IS is rock steady on that lens) with the neck strap method I can get pretty steady footage. I’m thinking of getting the 100mm f/2.8 IS L lens next and maybe the 70-300mm, if I ever need some reach, to complete the set.

I have a few Takumars, both 35s, and I even have one of the old Auto-Takumar 35mm F3.5. I love the vintage look of Takumars, even though I haven’t had the chance to test them on the 5D3 yet.

Instead of Zeiss, I have half a set of Nikkors, I’ve been building for a while. The 35mm 1.4 is a dream lens... great for well lit night exteriors with practical lights in frame... the blooming haze is gorgeous. 

But I have been toying with the idea of trying those Zeiss ZF/ZE lenses. A brand new 85mm 1.4 was on eBay last night for $500... I almost hit buy it now a half a dozen times before someone else took the decision away from me. 

I just bought my 5D3 six months ago after testing just about every brand of camera for a year. I don’t think I had any of them for more than a month. I still get urges to shoot in 4K, but then I get those Raw MLV files into the computer and think... what more do I need than this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mercer said:

@Kelly thanks for the update and the research and tests. We’re actually using similar lenses. I also have the Canon 35mm f2 (beast of a lens... so sharp) but I have the 24-70mm f4 instead of the 105 (The IS is rock steady on that lens) with the neck strap method I can get pretty steady footage. I’m thinking of getting the 100mm f/2.8 IS L lens next and maybe the 70-300mm, if I ever need some reach, to complete the set.

I have a few Takumars, both 35s, and I even have one of the old Auto-Takumar 35mm F3.5. I love the vintage look of Takumars, even though I haven’t had the chance to test them on the 5D3 yet.

Instead of Zeiss, I have half a set of Nikkors, I’ve been building for a while. The 35mm 1.4 is a dream lens... great for well lit night exteriors with practical lights in frame... the blooming haze is gorgeous. 

But I have been toying with the idea of trying those Zeiss ZF/ZE lenses. A brand new 85mm 1.4 was on eBay last night for $500... I almost hit buy it now a half a dozen times before someone else took the decision away from me. 

I just bought my 5D3 six months ago after testing just about every brand of camera for a year. I don’t think I had any of them for more than a month. I still get urges to shoot in 4K, but then I get those Raw MLV files into the computer and think... what more do I need than this.

@mercer Hey if you've got a chance to swipe an affordable Zeiss 85mm/f1.4 definitely take it as it will overrun the Takumar 85mm but its a beast of a lens even without the hood attached, the Takumar is about half the size. I'm a Nikon stills shooter and don't have a single Nikon branded lens strangely enough so I'm envious of your set. I just jumped into the deep end with Zeiss right off the bat and I'd definitely recommend the ZF over the ZE. I completely agree about the look the 5D3 4K is putting out but the 1080p Raw is just so awesome as it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kelly yeah I regret not getting the Zeiss 85mm 1.4, But in reality I need a Nikkor 85mm 1.4 more since I already have a few good Nikkors, so it was probably a good idea not to get partially invested in another set. In all honesty, between my Canon and Nikon lenses, I probably don’t even need another set but I’ve always had a thing for Takumars. I also may look into the Iron Glass Helios Cine Mod lenses since they’re fairly affordable and I have a flashback sequence that I think they’d be perfect for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear friends of the eoshd:
                                                                                
Then I leave you a short film, which is completed completely in raw with magiclantern in 1920 x 1080, the configuration used was:

5d iii camera
2 compact flash komputerbay  1066x,
2 lights tota lowel
1 lens 24-105 canon
1 macro lens 100 canon

The images were processed with MLVProducer. I still need the translation, however, I wanted to share it with you, so that you can express your comments.

https://vimeo.com/242501856


sorry for my bad english

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I’ve been using the histogram with ETTR Hint since I started shooting ML Raw and for the most part it’s been pretty good to me but during my most recent shoot, the exposure seemed off and perhaps too high. It was much harder for me to use my regular color workflow on the clips.

Here are a few shots I did that turned out okay...

37714FFF-7B04-4CA9-902D-DB0F9A929F9F.jpeg

41B205E3-234B-471F-A4E3-7CF42ABBDD6C.jpeg

6028D832-750E-417C-BC33-ADA365E8A08E.jpeg

Anyway I remember reading that most people like using the spot meter... or recommend it for the most accuracy? I had a few minutes today and I tried out the Histobar with clipping warning and even though I couldn’t see which color channels were clipping, I preferred that it was at the bottom of the screen compared to the Raw Histogram. Does anyone else use the Raw Histobar and do you have any pointers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...